SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#69407 - 11/02/09 01:43 AM PR804 USB Connection
westy Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
I have recently changed my computer, (still using XP though) and am having problems with the USB conection. I have set the system connection up using Bills Tech Tip 1 and have established a connection between the computer and the PR804. I can use the Technics Audio Recorder software OK, but when I try to upload or download files I get an error. The screen on the PR804 comes up most of the time with the yellow writing saying it is transferring the files and files even appear on my desktop. Then an error comes up and the transfer is aborted and the files disappear from the desktop. Any Ideas?

#69408 - 11/02/09 04:44 PM Re: PR804 USB Connection
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Westy,

Two things come to mind here.

1) Is the PC and Piano compatible?

2) If not, maybe you could download direct
to a Floppy or SD Card. Remember to
format the disk/SD card in the Piano
itself, rather than the PC, before
downloading.

If your piano doesn't have a floppy drive, you can now get a stand-alone one with a USB connection at one end for around £20. They work perfectly. You can even get a little SD Card holder with a USB connection at one end. These also work perfectly. Some of our keyboard members who have the older Tyros instruments use them, but I don't know how much they are. I wouldn't think they're any more costly than the Floppy Drive.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 11-02-2009).]

#69409 - 11/03/09 02:30 AM Re: PR804 USB Connection
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
PR604/804 pianos do not have the SD Card facility but they do have a Floppy Disk Drive. An SD card adapter will not work on the USB port - two reasons - the connector is the wrong type and there is no control software installed in the keyboards, to allow reading/writing to that type of device on the USB port. The controlling software which allows communication between the keyboard and a PC, has to be installed on the PC.

The fact that you are able to use the Panasonic Audio Recorder, tends to confirm that USB communications are OK and that the drivers are installed correctly. The only thing that occurs to me is that the files which you are trying to transfer from your PC, may not be compatible with the PR804.

Are they actually PR804 files or are you trying to transfer say KN7000 files? I'm not sure if KN7000 files are compatible with a PR804.

Have you tried saving a PR804 set-up to your PC using the Song Manager? Does this work OK? If it does, then try transferring the saved file back to your PR804. If that works OK, then I would say that the other files you are trying to load are either not compatible with the PR804, or they are faulty.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69410 - 11/03/09 03:16 AM Re: PR804 USB Connection
westy Offline

Bill,

I agree with you that the USB comms seem to be ok, the files I was trying to save as a test were the default PR804 set up files, so no confusion over KN7000 files. As I say what I find confusing is that during the process I get the correct display screen (yellow text saying the transfer is in progress) and the files even appear on the desktop (I was using the desktop for the file location for the purposes of the test) but then the error message appears and the files disappear from the desktop. Very confusing.

#69411 - 11/03/09 05:25 AM Re: PR804 USB Connection
Bill Norrie Offline

OK - As I said in my final paragraph - Have you tried saving a PR804 set-up to your PC using the Song Manager? Does this work OK? If it does, then try transferring the saved file back to your PR804............

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#69412 - 11/03/09 05:38 AM Re: PR804 USB Connection
westy Offline

Bill,

That is what I have been trying to do, save a PR804 set up. ie when the song manager comes up on the PC with the option to select one of the memory banks, I have given the file a name and tried to save it, and I still get the error message.

Alan

#69413 - 11/03/09 11:54 AM Re: PR804 USB Connection
Bill Norrie Offline

Alan, From your statement "...with the option to select one of the memory banks..." I'm not quite clear about how you are trying to carry out the transfer. I am assuming that the Song Manager which was included with your PR804 is the same as that which came with the KN7000. (Version 1.00)
I think that it may be better if we try to solve this problem by email, rather than on this forum, since I would like to exchange screen shots with you and it's not really practical to do this on the forum.
If we manage to resolve the issue, then we can post the solution here...........
My email address is in my profile.

Aldous Huxley

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online