SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#687 - 01/27/03 09:49 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

Never heard of those cartoons. I used to watch DJ Kat show on Sky back in the day, but mostly because of Linda. She was the hostess.

The sales guy was a drummer and he was in a hurry to a gig. Just my luck, although that didn't really matter. I had read some reviews on the net and people don't seem to have a bad thing to say about these monitors. I was pretty much set on them. Atleast I got to hear them before I bought them.

I've started on this mad joke techno thing called, 'Educational piano
songs for children'. The first track is called 'Kill your parents'.

-tek

#688 - 01/27/03 10:46 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
never trust a drummer, ever.

#689 - 01/27/03 08:57 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tek, A friend gave me some speakers that I put downstairs in this small study like TV room. I have been puzzled by these for weeks. They say Dahlquist "Phased Array DQ-10". Ever heard of? These speakers say 100 Watts on the rear panel. 7.95 Ohms was the static load they tested at. They come off at 100 watts like "What are you trying to do? Tickle me?" They are old schools-I think looks like a split 5 way setup(actually a three way with the mids and highs ohm split together in phased parrellel) I pour power into these things and they just suck it up like it's nothing. I mean a lot of power Great sound with no discernible speaker distortion that I can detect until ridiculas power levels are whoa I mean waaaay beyond 250 Watts each, when low freq kiks begin to buckle, RMS power meters show about 400 Watts per side! A speaker with this appetite? What kind of freak speakers are these? My original impression was that they are just old school audiophile stereo speakers from your neck of the woods. The Heil's I have in my bedroom sound like they're ready for discharge at a garage sale compared to these weird looking power suckers. Is this pair a freak? or no??
MORPH!

#690 - 01/28/03 09:39 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

Do you mean these?

Dahlquist seem to have dissapeared. The speakers you mention are priced at $750 on the same site the pic is from. Looks like audiophile stuff.

-tek

#691 - 01/28/03 11:52 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Anonymous
Unregistered

BULLSEYED! yup that's one of the power pigs right there. The base is a tiny bit different but that is the enclosure. I suspect these drivers were derived from recycled dual quad 850 double pumper Holley carbs. I wonder why they are so greatly power under-rated. Not bad for a freebie anyway. At 750 the guy is making a profit in my opinion. Dissappeared huh? nice, esp. for buyers with warrantys.

#692 - 01/28/03 09:10 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The cartoon show was "Quick Draw McGraw" who was a horse and El-KahBong was one of the characters he played.

I think tek's salesman could well do with a hit over the head with an acoustic guitar. It may shake some sense into him but I wouldn't abuse a defenseless guitar like that myself

#693 - 01/29/03 01:54 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
the reveals are a great bang for the buck speaker, you should be very happy with them for quite some time.

Make sure you set them up well. Also check out how some other folks suggest the alignment of the speakers they make. there is some good downloadable info at the Genelec site and the BBC white paper stuff is always interesting if your really a geek.

Anyway take the time to set them up as best you can, that is as close to the ideal setup as you can come up with.

then spend a lot of time listening to other mixes and your own and get to know what your mixes and such sound like on other systems as well. You will get to know them and thus your mixes will improve greatly.

i use KRK's myself but am thinking of getting a pair of Reveals for getting better sweet spot when programming the synths and leave the KRK's for monitoring when mixing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online