SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68884 - 07/12/09 08:53 AM COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi, everyone!

It has been awhile since I have posted. Hope all are well. I have a question about “Recording Memory” A, B & C in COMPOSER. I thought this was entirely a different area for recording than doing a sequenced song, using BANK “A.” I finished a sequenced song, with all Panel Memories set in BANK "A” and decided to do a special ending that I had in a CUSTOM STYLE. I did a CUSTOM STYLE load into COMPOSER “Recording Memory A” and all my Panel Memories, tempo, sounds and styles used were changed in the sequenced song. I had a sweet time putting everything back to the settings. After doing all this, I was still able to use the COMPOSER “Recording Memory A” and use the BANK “A” for the sequenced song with no further problems. I hope someone can explain the difference of COMPOSER Recording Memory “A” and BANK “A” used for playing live or using for a sequenced song in this particular case. For this to have happened, there has to be some sort of connection between the two.

Mark

#68885 - 07/12/09 03:42 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Composer Memories A, B and C are used to store styles which you have either created from scratch, or modified built-in styles, or loaded using the 'Composer' option in SD Card or Floppy Disk load options. They are not necessarily linked to the Panel Memories A,B and C. However, if you have the Panel Memory Mode set to operate in Expand Mode and in the Expand Mode Filter, the 'Filter Type'/'Rhythm Selection' is set to 'ON', then you can link changes made in Panel Memory to change the Composer Memory Banks A, B and C and/or Variations 1-4. To do this, you just need to select the desired Bank/Variation of the Composer and along with other Panel settings, save in a selected Panel Memory. If the 'Rhythm Selection' parameter is set to OFF, then changing Panel Memories will have no effect on the Composer settings.
For example : If I use a Composer style which has say 8 Variations ie 4 in Composer Memory A and a further 4 in Composer Memory B, then along with other panel settings (sounds, effects, Technichord etc.) I would Select Composer Bank A, Variation 1 and save in Panel Memory Bank A, Location 1. Then another panel set-up and Composer Bank A Variation 2, in Panel Memory Bank A, Location 2, and so on through to Composer Bank B Variation 4, stored in Panel Memory Bank A Location 8.
Using this method, I just play the song and progress through the Panel Memories 1-8 as the song progresses, which makes it a simple process for changing set-ups within a song.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68886 - 07/12/09 03:43 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I’m not sure that I can explain this without adding to the confusion, but I’ll try.

When you use the program menus to select Composer, and then Custom Copy, you can copy in either direction. That is, you can copy from the Composer to Custom Memory or from Custom Memory to the Composer. If you assume that you are copying from the Composer to Custom memory, when you do that, the contents of Panel Memories A, B, and C are also saved in the Custom memory of the keyboard, along with Composer banks A, B, and C. The same occurs when you copy in the other direction.

If you simply select one of the Custom memory rhythms for playing, nothing changes in the Panel Memory banks and you can play whatever rhythm you select with whatever was already in the Panel Memory banks. BUT, if you do a custom copy from Custom Memory to the Composer, using the Composer menu, you also copy whatever Panel Memories that were there when the Custom Memory was initially saved, to Panel Memory banks A, B, and C. So, in that case the Panel Memories will change.

#68887 - 07/12/09 03:49 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
Bob Hendershot Offline

Pretty good timing across the pond, Bill. We were one minute apart on our posts, and approached the subject from different directions. . .

#68888 - 07/12/09 06:44 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
kitkat Offline

Hi Bill and Bob,

Thanks for your responses. When you state “play” are you also implying that this will work in a recorded sequenced song? Let me explain exactly what I did. I first used COMPOSER “B” for part of the song. I also used parts in the song from a CUSTOM STYLE. All these worked fine in the sequenced song because they were saved in Panel Memories that I used in Bank “A” where the sequenced song was recorded. I decided to bring in another CUSTOM STYLE that had an ending that worked well with this song. However, the ending in the Custom Style that I did was in a major key. I needed to rework the ending in a minor key, plus make a few more changes for originality. Since my sequenced song was recorded in Panel Memory “A,” I am quite sure if I had used COMPOSER “C” that was blank for this song, I would not have had this problem. I loaded the Custom Style in COMPOSER “A” and that is when the changes took place. Let me explain that after loading the style in Composer “A” I immediately started making all the changes in the ending. This is when I went back to the Sequencer and played the song and all the Panel Memories were different. They not only had different sounds and styles in each Panel Memory but tempos were different. I had 79 in two, 200 in a couple and the rest were still in the tempo of my song, 120. It took awhile to put everything back to the proper settings in the Panel Memories and as I said, I was able to use COMPOSER “A” ending with no problem in a Panel Memory while still recording the song in Bank “A.” Bill, I always keep the setting in EXPAND MODE.

Thanks, again –

Mark

#68889 - 07/12/09 07:10 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
Bob Hendershot Offline

As I said above, when you use the Composer Menu to do a Custom Copy, you copy not only the Composer or Custom memory but also Panel Memories A, B, and C, as well. So when you

Quote: "I loaded the Custom Style in COMPOSER “A” and that is when the changes took place."

You changed Panel Memories A, B, and C to make them the same as they had been when the Custom memory was originally saved.

It is never a good idea to use Custom Memory in sequenced songs. There is no guarantee that the content of Custom memory will be same the next time you load the sequence unless you also include Custom memory in the save and load process. That is not automatic and you have to take special care to make that happen. If you want to use a rhythm that you have stored in Custom memory for a sequence, it is best to copy that rhythm to the composer before you create the sequence and only use the composer for the actual sequence itself.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 07-12-2009).]

#68890 - 07/13/09 08:28 AM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bob. It is very understandable now. It never dawned on me that loading the CUSTOM STYLE would also load Panel Memories A,B & C. I should have realized this. Here is a thought: In order to get back the correct Panel Memories that were lost, I wondered if I could just reload the Sequencer only and leave the Composer alone. The reason I didn't do this was because, as I work with making changes, I save. I wasn't sure if I saved all the default settings with the wrong Panel Memories so I went to the trouble of redoing the Panel Memory settings. With that, my question is, if I hadn't made any new save, would this have brought back all the Panel Memory settings if just reloading the Sequencer only?

Thanks for the tip on the dangers of using a combination of COMPOSER and CUSTOM STYLES in a sequenced song. I did not know that this was unstable. So far, I have never had a problem with bringing up a sequenced song using both.

Mark

#68891 - 07/13/09 10:39 AM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
Bob Hendershot Offline

If you want to load just the panel memories of a song that had been saved, go to page two of the load menu and turn off everything but Panel Memory. That will load just the panel memories and leave everything else alone.

Quote: "if I hadn't made any new save, would this have brought back all the Panel Memory settings if just reloading the Sequencer only?"

If you load only the Sequencer file (the.sqt file) you will not load panel memories. You need to load panel memories as above.

You will only have a problem with sequences that use custom memory if something had been done to change custom memory. But that is bound to happen eventually over time. In addition, if you want to send your sequence to someone else, they are unlikely to have the same thing in custom memory unless you also send your custom memory files to them as well.

#68892 - 07/13/09 06:59 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
kitkat Offline

Thanks, again Bob. I feel like an idiot! I should know this by saving ALL PANEL MEMORIES for live performance. Forgive me for having my head in the wrong place in my body. You obviously know much about the KN7000. I have learned a great deal since my uncle gave me the KN7000 and at times, I think I am pretty smart until a Bob comes along and sets me straight.

Best regards,

Mark

#68893 - 07/14/09 03:58 PM Re: COMPOSER A, B & C versus BANK A, B & C
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Join the Club Mark, I've had my KN7000 since it first appeared on the market and I'm still learning, but then, that's what makes it so interesting and as you will appreciate, this great Forum for questions and answers is priceless.

Have fun!

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 07-14-2009).]

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 07-14-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online