SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68878 - 07/12/09 01:32 AM Sugarbabes
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
These ladies have just released a cover of Ernie K. Doe's - Here Come The Girls. Both use a discordant chord on the word GIRLS...
Has anybody worked out what that chord is?

#68879 - 07/12/09 02:52 AM Re: Sugarbabes
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I'll have a listen Rog...............

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68880 - 07/12/09 02:42 PM Re: Sugarbabes
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
The song is in the key of D major and my initial thoughts were that the chord you are asking about is basically a D minor, since the dominant note within the chord is an 'F', which is the minor third in the chord of D minor. In a D major chord, the third note is of course an F#. There's quite a lot going on in the background at that point in the song and some of it is a bit difficult to analyse. However, it is possible that there is a low F# in the chord with the dominant 'F' at the top of the chord which, according to the Piano mode on the KN7000, would make the chord a D7#9 (F#, A, D, F).
I'm a little confused as to how the KN7000 decides that it is a D(7)#9 since there is no 'C' in the chord to make it a D7... It doesn't seem to matter whether the 'C' is included or not - it still shows it as a D7#9
Maybe someone with more musical theoretical knowledge would like to comment......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online