SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68805 - 07/03/09 08:38 AM SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Some time back, I saw a thread conscerning the long names of songs being lost after a back up and retrieval. One of my cards came out the same way. There are KN--- #s instead of my names. I must have used Fred's program and did something wrong. Can anyone enlighten me ?

#68806 - 07/03/09 10:03 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
It is normal to see KN--- numbers when you look at the SD card with Windows Explorer at a PC. Fred’s SD Explorer program should see the long names, though.

In the KN7000 folder of your SD card there is a file with the name KN7000mn.inf. That file contains all the long names for your songs. If that file is corrupted or missing, you will lose all the long song names. You can rebuild the KN7000mn.inf file by formatting a SD card and using Fred’s program to copy the files to the SD. But, you will have to re-enter all the long song names with the SD Explorer program. A much better way to rebuild the SD card, of course, is to restore from a back-up that you had previously made.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 07-03-2009).]

#68807 - 07/03/09 11:18 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks Bob, but you being more proficient it this than I, I can only assume I am missing something here.

First, I lost the names when I restored it using SD Explorer. Secondly, how am I going to re-enter the long names when I thought they were safely tucked away in my pc and now gone ? I can tell some, but guess at others. Luckily, I did save and print some indexes of older cards.

#68808 - 07/03/09 11:35 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

The long song names are saved in the SD card itself (or in your backup file) in the special file that I mentioned above. You can not see the long file names with the PC unless you use the SD Explorer or similar software. Windows Explorer will not see the long names.

If you still have the original back-up that you did, you should do another restore. If that fails to rebuild the long song names, your back-up is probably somehow corrupted

Most of us keep duplicate SD cards somewhere, you could start with that if all else fails.

#68809 - 07/03/09 04:40 PM Re: SD Card Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
There should also be a file called KN7000mn.bak on your SD Card, which contains a copy of the KN7000mn.INF data.
I seem to remember that a long time ago, when the .inf file got corrupted on one of my SD cards, I just used Windows Explorer to delete the .inf file and renamed the .bak file to .inf - That fixed the problem.

However, before I did the operation, I used Windows Explorer to copy the 'PRIVATE' folder on the SD Card, to a folder on my PC hard drive, as a back-up - just in case
Might be worth a try............

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68810 - 07/03/09 05:08 PM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

An excellent suggestion, Bill.

#68811 - 07/04/09 04:12 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Many thanks,guys,for the help. I will see what I can do.
Bernie

#68812 - 07/04/09 04:30 PM Re: SD Card Problem
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bernie,

Oh! how I know that feeling of shock and dismay when things like this happens. If you know exactly what you have lost, I may have it in my archives, together with an 'Index'

Since purchasing Fred's tool, I have most of the professional floppies/tunes on SD cards so I may be able to help you rather than you typing all the names out again.

Let me know the details and I'll see what I can do.

Audrey

#68813 - 07/04/09 05:12 PM Re: SD Card Problem
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Years ago I was working with my Kn7000, I had just put in 2 hours on a nice set up. I started the save procedure,which I knew quite well, pressed all the needed buttons, and then press save.

I still have not forgotten the next few moments -- I press saved, waited, my wife said something to my about dinner -- so I shut the keyboard off. OUCH!!!

The SD card showed only numbers, all titles were gone. I could load them, that worked, but their were no names. So I started to load and rename, it took a long, long time.

John C.

#68814 - 07/04/09 08:07 PM Re: SD Card Problem
hbinfo2001 Offline

Loc: Quebec Canada
Hi,Bill have the right answer When I sold my KN7000 2years ago I save my SD card on my PC. 1 month ago I rebought another KN7000 and I bought a 2gig SDcard and I format the new SDcard on my PC After I click on PRIVATE and slide to my SDcard and every thing work fine to my KN7000.

#68815 - 07/05/09 11:43 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Audrey,you're a sweetheart for offering, but I have since found the indexes I always make when I backup a card.

John, that is my problem.

Since it is rather laborious to retype the names, I am going to take the suggestion of formatting a clean card and rebuilding.

Thanks again
Bernie

#68816 - 07/05/09 02:11 PM Re: SD Card Problem
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:

John, that is my problem.

Since it is rather laborious to retype the names, I am going to take the suggestion of formatting a clean card and rebuilding.

Thanks again
Bernie[/B]

Bernie,
I did not format the card --- all the data was still in the SD card. I loaded a file and then resaved the file with the old name if I remembered. If I did not remember, I gave the file a new name.

I did not have to create from the beginning.

For a large fee I’ll come over and do it. (Grin)

John C.

#68817 - 07/05/09 03:29 PM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

Yes, you can load and resave each file at the KN7000 as John suggests. But you still need to enter the long names which is very time consuming at the KN7000. It is easier and much faster to just drag the files over to the SD card with the SD Explorer and type in the long names at the computer while you are there.

Bernie, are you certain that the .bak file that Bill mentioned is not there? His suggestion is much better than any of this other stuff we are talking about.

#68818 - 07/06/09 03:01 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

I put the faulty card in a reader and found no .inf file, but only a setup file with the KN#'s and a .bak file with no contents, besides the Private file.

#68819 - 07/06/09 04:00 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

YIPPEEEE !
Success,I read another card that I had restored the same data from the pc on, and eventhough it too had numbers, it had the .inf and .bak files included. Using Wizard Bill's formula,it worked. Sorry John for all your work. Bob,if you had not been persistant, I never would have gone back and tried it again.

What a bunch of gals and guys on this forum.
Bernie

#68820 - 07/06/09 06:12 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

That's good news.

Bernie, if you worked on the card since you made that backup, there may be a few new items that are missing. But it's much better than starting from scratch.

The moral is; copy the SD card Private folder to your PC often so that you can recover it if a backup fails.

#68821 - 07/06/09 06:59 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Right you are Bob,however, the problem arose when I restored the card in the first place. It does not tell me how it got corrupted and how to avoid it.

#68822 - 07/06/09 07:58 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

I agree, Bernie. Many things could cause a backup failure. John gave one example. Any power failure during the process could cause it. But if we keep a copy of the private folder of the SD somewhere else, like the PC, we can always recover from that copy.

I don't use the backup process with the SD Explorer at all. I copy the Private folder of the SD card to the PC. Then if I want a second (or new) copy of the SD, I format the new SD card at the KN7000 and save a file (anything will do) to create the file structure. Then I move the SD card to the PC and copy the CONTENTS of the Private folder in the PC to the Private folder of the SD card, overwriting the file I had saved to create the file structure. That makes an exact duplicate of the original card.

One nice aspect of the SD Explorer backup and restore process though, is the ability to send files, including their long song names, to someone who also has the SD Explorer in their PC. You can't do that with a floppy disk. So, if you have some stuff you want to send to someone, you can save it to a SD card, do a backup, and then send the backup. The recipient can then restore to a blank SD card and they have the files with their long song names. Joan Banfield taught me that.

#68823 - 07/06/09 03:18 PM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

I see. Mighty good info. My next job is to make one or two good SD's out of the mix of stuff I have accumulated through the years. When memory was high I was buying smaller SD's. As you know, things are different.b
Can't you drag and drop ?

#68824 - 07/06/09 07:11 PM Re: SD Card Problem
Bob Hendershot Offline

Bernie, you asked "Can't you drag and drop?"

Not sure I understand that question . . . If you are talking about combining files from two SD cards, the answer is yes with the SD Explorer but no with Windows Explorer.

I seem to remember that the little Song Manager software that comes with the KN7000 can do a merge of two cards. I've never had a need for it.

#68825 - 07/10/09 01:38 AM Re: SD Card Problem
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I dread this happening to me....
Good luck Bernie
Rog

#68826 - 07/10/09 02:46 AM Re: SD Card Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks Rog
By taking the advise of Bill and Bob, it isn't likely to happen again. I did get most of the names back though.
Bernie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online