SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68719 - 06/20/09 07:27 AM How are you using the Pads?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
How are you using the pads?
I feel they are one great add. I'll will add my thought after we get started.

John C.

#68720 - 06/20/09 01:31 PM Re: How are you using the Pads?
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
JOHN....

Yes, I like using the performance pads during my play. It is easy to reach over with my left hand and punch one of the pad buttons.

When loading a Panel Memory with a specific rhythm and registration the pads are also included using the Expand option, the only option I use.

For Polka the Traditional 4/4 pads are a part of the registration I load to the PM.

I use Latin 1 with Latin music, Country with C&W, etc. Probably the Rock & Roll pads are my favorites...Gospel too!

My music sheets are marked (in pencil) with the PM # (C-5) and where I want to press which # of the programed pads.

This too really limits the drone of repititious same ole same ole of the rhythms...

Changing the 4 variations and turning the Sound Aranger OFF/ON during play also is a big help to avoid boredom...

I like to keep my arrangements simple and use the Performance Pads, Music Style Arranger Variations, and switching the on/off button of the Sound Arranger to add changes to the music...keep it interesting.

All of these can be done during the play..

Elizabeth

------------------

#68721 - 06/20/09 03:42 PM Re: How are you using the Pads?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
If you choose to use the pads like Tony talked about for control functiosns be sure to turn off the Pads for the panel memory expanded mode. If you don't, when you increment or decrement panel memories, you will change the pads with the resulting panel memory.

#68722 - 06/21/09 01:59 AM Re: How are you using the Pads?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I have to say that I never use them as I find they are an interference from the pureness of the rhythms I use...
Rog

#68723 - 06/21/09 06:33 AM Re: How are you using the Pads?
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Well then,

If it doesn't fit...you must omit!

Elizabeth

------------------

#68724 - 06/21/09 01:03 PM Re: How are you using the Pads?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
USING PADS Part 1
Hearing and listening – not the same thing. I love to analyze, my keyboard my car and my wife. Oh, leave that last part out it gets me into trouble.

Listen to your favorite recording/style. Pay attention to the Bass and drums. Fill ins and lead lines are not important at this point. What happens when the mood of the song starts to change? What did the drum do and what did the bass do? If the bass and drums make no change all the other instruments in the band can vari but with little effect.

Big Band Ballad
1-The beginning bass line is light on 1 and 3.
2-The variation comes and the bass is played on 1,2,3 and 4th beats, more drive. The feeling is added excitement – climbing to another level. This is very evident in Big Band but even more so with contemporary music – At times the bass seems to be taken over the band. Many contemporary songs are built around a special bass line.
3-The drummers also make their changes to match the mood by accents and additional sounds.

Creating pads: Create all six pads from below.
Pad 1- Bass drum on 1 and two — Snare drum on 3 and 4.
Pad 2- A ride cymbal on all four beats.
Pad 3- A bass drum on all four beats.
Pad 4- C Major chord (C-E-G) on all four beats

Pad 5- A 12 Bar blues pattern, no melody, just the 12 bars. Repeat.
Pad 6- Possibly a pattern like
I - C Major VI A Minor IV F major V7 G 7th Repeat.

For now let’s look at Pad 5 –12 Bar blues. You can select any pattern/style that you like, Big Band, Rock, Blues – After you hold the first chord press start and then press Pad 5 -- now both your hands are free to add whatever while the 12 bar blues progression repeats over and over. I know you can do this with a sequence – but doing it this way gives on-the-fly ability any style.

Part II coming later.

I hope this opens doors, John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online