SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#68704 - 06/21/09 05:06 PM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
John C. said it all. When I prepare to record a song, first I have to find a suitable backing style. If I can remember the song or parts of the song, I'm a step ahead and I know pretty much where to look for a particular style. If the song is unknown to me, or I've never played it before, then a learning curve begins. As I try out different styles, I'm playing the song, slow at first, then faster and faster until the tempo announces itself. It just seems right at that certain spot and then I work on the memory part, playing over and over until I learn the song and my fingers will play the right keys no matter what my brain tries to tell them to do. At that point I've already worked out what variations, fills, and what nots I'm going to use, so all I need now is the "feel" of the song so it's my interpretation and not a copy. Sometimes I change chords around or move notes to make it easier or maybe I'll use a style totally different for that type of song, but in the end - it's my version. To me, that's what it's all about, and the sequencer and it's editors help me reach that point.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 06-21-2009).]

#68705 - 06/21/09 07:09 PM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bud,
Isn’t music all about emotion. There are times when I play a slow ballad and after playing for a while I am off to somewhere very tender. At that point I feel I am deep into a very special feeling and you can not buy a moment like that.

John C.

#68706 - 06/21/09 07:20 PM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Audrey,
Two thoughts.
The tyros 3 can play all four pads at one time, and as you press one it does not cancel the other. You can also press one pad, go to another group of pads press one of the other numbers and you have two pads from different places playing at the same time.

In my second post on “How do you use Pads” I am going to show the simplicity of very small changes in a style by adding pads. Most pads are to involved to be useful.

John C.

PS, Someone sent me two songs , Disco type and a Big band. Each one was played using only the pads. I do not think he played any melody himself. Of course the music sounded like all fills but it was good. He showed what is possible if we leave our comfort zone.

#68707 - 06/21/09 07:56 PM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
BILL... Okay now I see the reason behind you said "you have to know the arrangement."
You are a "hear" player....

Several of you Zonies have sent sheet music that I had never heard. Because I do read (the treble clef only), I can learn a piece slowly. Then increase the timing until it seems to flow comfortably. Next step is to find which style/rhythm feels like a good one for that piece. One that one of you who lives in the U.K. sent, is "All Kinds Of Everything." I play it to the "Sirtaki" at 120 tempo and use only the #4 variation, or to "Broadway Show" which I do not like nearly as much for this piece.... I do not know if I am playing it like anyone else does as I have never heard anyone else play it!
Like AUDREY wrote. "...most songs suggest their own rhythm and style." This is very true for me as well.

JOHN.... Yes, music is about expressing emotionally, it is the voice of the heart/soul.... It is a universal language that all life sings and can understand. Even the wind, rain, the animals and plants speak musically. The roar of crashing waves along with the smell of salt water is music to my ears...

I agree with AUDREY that the performance pads are very useful. I suspect you and I could have a really good time playing together AUDREY.

I am so pleased with the good participation here.... wonderful!

Elizabeth

#68708 - 06/22/09 12:48 AM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
G'Day,girls and boys,
You are all so wonderful. Thank you for reviving the Technics Forum.
Music, like all art, is expression and interpretation, which has been shown here. I recently played Begin The Beguine for some friends, fist as big band bold ,brassy and fast, then as a soft sensual beguine. The responses were interesting to both interpretations.
Re. the sequencer....I only use Easy Record to hear what i have played, make the necessary adjustments,and store on disc if I like what I hear, or wish to refer back to at a later date. I never use The Sequencer,I would rather spend that time playing, plus I find the technology difficult to master.
I use some of the pads to sometimes fill the content of what I am playing, and 5,6, are an opportunity to move the pages, adjust the seat, scratch my nose etc.whilst still having the moosic playing.
NOW!! how do I assign those other functions to the pads? The manual only tells me I can, not how??????or am I being stupid...again?
I too am a "dots" player, and my earlier organ training was based around variations of style and a lot of the time without rhythm backing, but that is a feature not so good on keyboards unless you are a darn good player. Someone might dispute that, but then I am not always right. Ask "The Gardener".
Question for homework ...Which wise person said "Music, the greatest sensual pleasure without vice"?

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68709 - 06/22/09 03:29 AM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ray,
The answer to your question is Samuel Johnson

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68710 - 06/22/09 04:10 AM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
and what music would he have been listening to when he was alive...?

#68711 - 06/22/09 07:56 AM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
The Saint Offline

Bill and Roger,
I thought it was spelt Johnston, the same as my son-in-law, but you got it anyway Bill.
Actually I believe it referred to wine. "Music" was my plagiarising for my other indulgence.
Answer to your question Roger....see Bill's profile.

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68712 - 06/22/09 12:06 PM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Ray, According to http://theotherpages.org/topic-m3.html both the name and quotation are correct

Incidentally, he was also know as Dr. Johnson 1709-1784, so I suppose the music he listened to was written by some of the Great Composers - Bach, Mozart, Handel, Vivaldi etc.
Sorry - a bit Off-Topic!!

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68713 - 06/23/09 02:53 AM Re: How do you use the Sequencer on your 7K?
The Saint Offline

Many thanks Bill,
Now I remember. I have seen it on a wine bottle(Verse 1),referring to a piece of music on the label.I was nearly right.
But guess what? "The Gardener" wins again.
See Ya !!!
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online