SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68667 - 06/19/09 08:24 AM How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
On another thread, I asked this question. There are a few responses... How about sharing how you utilize the PM on your 7K?

Elizabeth

------------------

#68668 - 06/19/09 09:22 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Very simply the rhythm changes during the course of most songs - otherwise they'd be pretty boring - and PMs provides the opportunity for me to store sequentially the settings for each progressing part of each song. Roy Orbison's Oh Pretty Woman is a good example of this with regular changes of rhythm throughout the song. By using the PMs and a foot pedal to progress around the PMs I can imitate the original song.
Rog

#68669 - 06/19/09 09:35 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

ROGER..

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for a more detailed explanation.... like some on the "Hopefully A Long Life" thread....

Elizabeth

------------------

#68670 - 06/19/09 03:14 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
RMepstead Offline

Hi Elizabeth
It's one of those things that's easier explained and shown than written about but I think Keyboardcapers might have a written explanation....
Rog

#68671 - 06/19/09 03:23 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

ROGER...

Yes, I do agree that "show & tell" is the best method of learning.... however, there is a considerable bit of milage between all the 7K players....that is why I posted the questions...

If all of you would be willing to come to Roswell, NM.... Perhaps I could find a venue for a jam. Any takers? Spring and Fall would be the best time...though winter is quite mild here....

For those who are RV'rs you would be welcomed at my home base RV park nearest Artesia a smaller town 44 miles south of Roswell... I would look first at the possibility of a venue in Artesia for a jam...

Elizabeth

Elizabeth...

Elizabeth

------------------

#68672 - 06/19/09 03:24 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Did not intend to sign my name 3 times... It would be nice to be able to edit a post rather than just delete it.. NIGEL????

#68673 - 06/19/09 04:58 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Elizabeth,
Heres how I use Panel Memories on my Kn7
I use a panel memory bank (in Expand Mode) with a different style set up especially for each song I play.
These are saved on the SD card (just saving 3 main banks, Composer & Sound Memory)
in categories such as Musicals, Slow swing, Country etc.
When you have more than the 20 songs which a folder can hold hold, you can label them,
Slow Swing 1 / Slow swing 2 or Slow Swing A to M / Slow Swing N to Z
I soon became able to remember the position of each song in a folder
(except for those I rarely play) so finding & loading takes very little time.

It's not generally known that the Performance Pads can be set up to move around the panel memories.
As I never use the Performance Pads anyway, I have them always set on "Control Preset".
Just press Bank button / Control Preset - (This is saved in panel memories when in Expand Mode)
This enables you to move up a Bank with Pad 2 - Move down a Bank with Pad 5
Move forward to the next panel memory with Pad 4
Move backward to the preceeding panel memory with Pad 6

Pad 1 Switches Roary to Slow / Fast
Pad 6 operates Glide

It becomes so quick & easy to move around that you'll wonder how you ever managed without
it and you have the advantage of being able to change panel memories with either hand.

As a panel memory bank loads 3 banks anyway (A, B & C), you can set up 3 different songs
or set up a song with 3 different styles to choose from, and easily move around.
If playing a medley with four full variations to each song, you can play 6 songs without stopping.
Tony

#68674 - 06/19/09 05:45 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Anthony.....

Thanks for your post.... very helpful info.

Unless I have misunderstood... it seems easier when using the pads to just add which one you want to use with the rhythms and sounds you put in each PM.... Also leave the "Auto setting" little red light on with your choice of pads when you set your PM choice....

I do use them a lot in my play along with the 4 variations and turning on and off the Sound Arranger on/off button.... All of this helps to avoid a constant boring rhythm for those who use the auto rhythms. Works for me!

I will check out your method of using the Performance Pads... I do use Expand Mode though what you say about Control Preset is new to me... Thanks very much..

Elizabeth

#68675 - 06/19/09 08:32 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Roger you work almost exactly the way I do, as I expressed in the other thread. There needs to be a new rhythm/voicing change for almost every new phrase of a song. Hence the usual need for 8 or so panel memory settings for each song. And when those settings are saved sequentially in panel memories it is easy to walk through the changes with a foot switch. This makes the change simple where it is difficult to leave the keys while you are playing.

Anthony, I had not thought of your method of using pads for panel memory changes. I am going to try that method with the KN2600. It only has a single foot switch available and using the pads may be a good alternative because of their proximity to the left hand. You use a method very similar to Roger and I except that you take advantage of PM banks B and C for additional song setups. I prefer to focus on a single song for each SD load because it is so simple and so fast. But, I like the way you setup for medleys.

John C, in the other thread you suggest staying with a method that you have used with older keyboards. I believe you miss the advancements available in newer keyboards when you take that approach. Since you are working with a KN5000 now, your method is obviously best for you at this time. If you find a 7K, do try a newer method. I am certain you will like it better.

#68676 - 06/19/09 10:38 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi, Elizabeth,

#68677 - 06/19/09 11:01 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Hi Elizabeth,
WELLLLLL !! IF I had a K7, I would like to emulate Tony's solutions. But as I only have a K5 I load my Panel Memory with settings for my favourite music books and mark each piece with a corresponding bank and number, and title each file according to the book name. I realise that this limits the registration changes available, but I can still use Rt1, Rt2, Rt1 & Rt2, Technicord et al to vary the outcomes.
When I need more, or extensive changes I set them in sequence in the Panel Memory and title their position on the music.
Depending on the number of panel positions used,I can have at least 10 or 20 songs on each Floppy Disc file.(Old technology ugh!!)
and change manually or by pedal when required.
I am going to try the pad theory right now on the K5 and PR903.
I can see I will have to convince "The Gardener" that my talents are being constrained by not having a K7.
Wish me luck!!!! Or any advice would be put to good use I assure you.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68678 - 06/20/09 12:00 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Hi Tony, Elizabeth and Bob,
What a wonderful forum? Just read the manual
and yes it works on the 903 and K5.(assigning functions to the pads, that is). Take note John C.You may be able to use that function with some of the settings you like from my floppies, when you receive them.
I will be adding that feature to my future rego.settings .
Maybe we should all read the manual more often.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68679 - 06/20/09 07:00 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
RMepstead Offline

So....fly in to El Paso, Bill...
'The nearest major airport to Artesia, New Mexico is El Paso International Airport, with an IATA code of ELP and an ICAO code of KELP. This airport is in El Paso, Texas and is 135 miles from the center of Artesia, NM.'
Then taxi up to Artesia and stop at the Holiday Inn where the event could take place; and no distance from Albuquerque too...
Aaah - keep on dreaming, eh...
Rog

#68680 - 06/20/09 12:25 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

ROGER....

Which route do you take from El Paso to Artesia? The closest route I know of is south to Carlsbad then sort of SW then west some more and north for a bit to El Paso....that is about 250 miles....

There is a smaller airport in Roswell. Anyone flying into El Paso could probably get a shuttle to Roswell....

If that were to happen, let me know...I would be happy to drive the 60 miles to Roswell to meet whoever (only someone I know from SZ) and take them to Artesia...during daylight hours....

If it is me you want to visit, the best way is to drive an RV to my home park and tell our managers you are my friend.... you will be admitted...

Roger, have you been to little old Artesia, NM? Who is Bill that you addressed your post to?

Elizabeth

------------------

#68681 - 06/20/09 03:37 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Bob Hendershot Offline

Roger will need pontoons on his RV . . . That pond is deep . . .

#68682 - 06/23/09 10:56 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Ray,
I second your view on what a wonderful forum we have here.
It's been a bit quiet for a while but it's coming to life again lately
and it's nice to hear different views of using our favourite keyboards.

I never had a KN5000 - moved from a SMAC1200 module to KN6500
(which took my breath away when I played it). I was then waiting
for the KN8000 because, although I was fed up with floppies and wanted
an SD card, I didn't like the new circular Panel Memory buttons on the K7.
However, when I heard of Technics impending closure, I went for the K7
and have never regretted it for a moment - absolutely brilliant board
and I still prefer it to my Tyros3, although I still don't like the panel
memory buttons which is why I use the Performance pads so much.

If you can manage to upgrade to the K7, you'll experience a whole new
musical world. The SD card is as good as having a hard drive and encourages
you to go to town with setups for each song - it seem that most of us have
adopted this method since loading is so much quicker & easier.
The new improved voices are still good, even when compared against the T3
(and some of them are still better).
I hereby officially declare to "The Gardener" that your talents are indeed
very much constrained and would suggest a new mower as a pre-emptive sweetener.
Best wishes to all,
Tony

#68683 - 06/23/09 04:22 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Tony, I'll second your comments on the KN7 against the Tyros3. The KN7 is still the 'tops' for me.

I have always used the panel memories as I play mainly for dancing and singalongs and because of this I tend to set up medleys of 3/4 tunes set to the same rhythm but using the variations and pads.

By pressing and holding down the blue button in the middle of the PM wheel, you will be taken to the 'Expand Mode Filter' (2 pages)
On page 2, there are different options and one of them is to have the Pads in the 'on' or 'off' mode, so when I am setting up my song/tunes I include whichever Pad option I need, plus anything else that is relevant i.e: R1/R2 octave ON/OFF.

Finally, my 2 or 3 songs/tunes are saved together with their particular variations into the panel memories. (Job done and saved all in one go, no messing about like the T3 setups)

For example: I have a Country Medley in Bank 'A' named "ACT NATURALLY - MED"
PM 1-3 holds the sets for 'Act Naturally'.
PM 4-6 holds the sets for 'All I Ever Need Is you'
PM 7 - 8 holds the sets for 'Oh Lonesome Me'

all are played to the same rhythm but with individual variations, pads, voices, transpose and octave changes, which keeps it interesting (I hope ha! ha!)

Audrey

#68684 - 06/23/09 05:58 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Bob Hendershot Offline

Audrey, have you tried using Bank A for the first song, Bank B for the second, and Bank C for the third song of the medley? You can have all eight PM buttons available for each song that way. At the end of song 1 and it's 8th button, the next PM increment moves to bank B, etc. I believe that is what Tony expressed earlier. The entire setup can be loaded almost instantly with the SD card.

#68685 - 06/24/09 02:32 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Bob
Good suggestion, especially if you have your home screen set up to view thhe banks. Personally, I prefer to use the "Favorites" and "Screen Hold", as my song order is constantly changing. I too use the PM wheel on a song by song basis, usually with 4 variations per song. I store by file number e.g. 01-01-99-20. The files are labeled according to type of gig, and kept on a master file.

The OS on the KN7000 is still the best for me, eventhough I have had Korg PA-800 and have Roland G70. They have some plusses and some minuses, like all boards, but all around, it is hard to beat.

Bernie

#68686 - 06/24/09 05:43 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote by Bob
John C, in the other thread you suggest staying with a method that you have used with older keyboards. I believe you miss the advancements available in newer keyboards when you take that approach. Since you are working with a KN5000 now, your method is obviously best for you at this time. If you find a 7K, do try a newer method. I am certain you will like it better.

Bob, I have owned 2 Kn7000 keyboards and all my knowledge is based on the KN7. I am now trying to remember my steps and for the KN5000.

As I traveled from the Kn1000 to the Kn7000 I used all the new technology. SD card, Panel memory, Favorites, Pads and memory. I used the old as a base and improved by adding the next keyboard’s new features.

The keyboard must be used to fit one’s needs. My method was needed for the type of jobs I played. My needs were to get to the next song quickly – Have a view of possible 70 to 110 songs (Panel memory/Bank view) and be able to push a single button to get to the next song.
Right 1 and right 2 plus the four from the Music Style arranger gave me enough instrument variation. I thought I posted my method here but I am mistaken. I do not use the same exact method since I am no longer play jobs.

Anyone selling kN7000?

Now it is about playing strictly for me. (Applaud XXXXX)

John C.

#68687 - 06/24/09 09:45 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Anthony Johnson Offline

Yes Audrey,
Long live the KN7 - daddy of them all!

The Tyros3 is a good keyboard and there's much I like about it but the KN7 came out at about the time of the Tyros1 - Yamaha have had around 8 years to leave the KN7 for dead and they still haven't done it. Imagine what a new top of the range Technics would sound like now.
Tony

#68688 - 06/24/09 04:47 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I agree with everything you say Tony. When I first heard there would be no more Technics keyboards, I could have cried and I am sure many others felt the same way. I bought the T3 simply because it was a good deal, but after 4 months it still doesn't really appeal to me. I cannot explain exactly why, all I know is I do not get as much pleasure playing it as I do the KN7. People keep telling me to forget the old and stick with the new, but from what I have so far learned from the T3 (apart from using the PC connection), the saving system is very very similar to the Technics but has not been thought out properly and therefore is not as easy or as quick to use.
Nearly everything I do I have to change for various reasons when all I really want to do is play. Also, it seems to me the T3 has been put on the market with very basic facilities and if you really want to make the best of it, you have to download and pay for almost every style, voice etc. on offer making an already expensive keyboard, even more costly. Anyway enough of that.

Ah yes! a KN8. Will someone in the music World produce a new one in the future? Is it just a dream or could it become a reality?
Who knows? Maybe the new Ketron Audya will be the next competitor. I was on holiday recently and a young lady there was playing the KN7 all week but on the last day played the Audya which she said she had received the night before so didn't really know it.
However, from what I heard her play, it's very good - we shall see!

In reply to Bob on PMs A, B & C. When I took delivery of my KN7 I queried the need for these three PMs and was told this was to help those that were used to using them on the older keyboards and was advised to treat them as 'workstations' and I do just that. I usually have on-going setups in each one of them until I get a satisfactory result and then transfer them over to the Banks or SD Cards depending on what I've used them for.

Elizabeth - thank you for your email, I will reply a.s.a.p.

Audrey

#68689 - 06/27/09 02:02 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for stimulating the grey matter of the Technics users. I thought this site might disappear, being washed down the drain with all the .......on the new Audya.
The information re. the K7 has been invaluable to me, as it is a tried and tested unit, whereas any new KB is always going to be a risk until you have been able to judge it over a considerable period of time.
We have a limited range Downunder to pick from, and it is important to be able to be confidant whenever you are thinking of upgrading.
When I was going to sell my Digital 903, the only viable option was Yamaha CVP's,and after deciding not to change,in retrospect I am not sure I would have been a happy chappy,even though Yamaha have a good product. I am sure that I would feel as you, regarding your Tyros and the K7.
It is not that the product might be inferior, it's a matter of self-satisfaction.
I am still considering any K7 if they appear, and since my recent fall, I am sure "The Gardener" might reassess my value if I dare to broach the subject in due course.
The lack of Technics service is my only real concern, I am sure I have "The Gardener" onside.
To all the other posters, keep showing your interest in this Forum, there is/are a lot of you out there.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68690 - 06/27/09 07:39 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

SAINT RAY...
This has been a great thread...so far. There are so many ways to utilize the features on the KN KB's.... It was shortsighted of me to focus on JUST the 7K.

As the KN's all have similarities, how about telling us how you use the Panel Memory on your 5K?

Several have owned/played a number of the Technics KN's. With each one I have had my tendancy has been to continue to use the features pretty much the same on all of them for the simple reason that it is so much easier to remember where everything is stored! Actually, getting used to the features...

When I was playing my 7K at home and gigging with my 6K at 2 or 3 gigs/week it seemed like it took a bit of my gig time to remember just how to operate the 6K and where I had stored everything....

It was even worse when I only played once a week! Seemed like the 6K was a new machine each time!

Now that I have 2 7K's....that challenge is gone. Having 2, will hopefully be "insurance" that I will always have a 7K to play....

I am so glad I started this thread and the other two with similar questions... Everyone who has contributed has shared some great ideas....

Thanks everyone! Keep it rolling!

Elizabeth...

------------------

#68691 - 06/28/09 03:26 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Dear Elizabeth et al,
I set about programming my Panel memory because I had some special "jazz" books(hand written)which I use repeatedly,(you and me Audrey, every time I pass if the lid's open) and realised I needed pre-recorded settings for each tune, if I was going to simplify the registrations and be able to trust what I had prepared each time I decided to use each book.
I decided to approach that system with all my sheet music to establish consistency in my playing.simply using Rt1, Rt2, Rt1 and Rt2, Left voice (a must),Technicord where suitable, to achieve variation of sounds in one Panel setting, and saving to disc.
When required to expand the no. of registrations, I saved each one to disc with dedicated file, which gets tweaked quite often. DON"T FORGET TO SAVE EACH TIME.
Depending on the no. of panel memory buttons used, there are 80 individual settings available on the K5 (more on others), to be utilised on one file (Gawd I'm clever).
On a previous post I told how I spent months setting the 80 settings in the Panel Memory, and then one day deleted all by mistake. (Yeaaahh not so clever).
I have a setting for BOLERO which involves 14 changes, and have a dedicated it to a file on a disc? with others, just for that purpose.
On my pianner I use a pedal to change PM settings, which also can be done with K5 if you have a pedal!!!
I am advised that other functions can be applied to the pads, BUT no-one wants to advise me how. I have asked. Come on you guys!!! I'll bet DIKI knows, but he probably does'nt read this forum!!!!!!!
Incidently, since everyone asked, my bruise is turning brown. Does that mean I am getting better or worse. (No!!!don't answer that)
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68692 - 06/28/09 10:44 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
As Ray has stated -- I have 5 different books set up with the Panel memory location on each page. Since panel memories are 1,2,3,4 ect my music reads:
11 In the Mood – The set up for the that song is located in the 1st bank in memory 1. 12 New York New York = Bank Panel 2. I can tell where the songs are located by the Panel memory or by the book.

It is important to know that the same set up for a song can be in more than one place. I prepare my list by first working with my books, my aim is to have set ups to fit the people I am playing for – 1-Ages from 69 and up –
2-from 50 to 69 – 3-for a listening audience. They are not the same so I create my book accordingly. The book is always open to change. After a while the book becomes more of what I want.

People who play at home may not have use for this type of thinking.

John C.

#68693 - 06/28/09 10:51 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

G'Day,
For those who have KN's earlier than the K7.
Speed of loading floppies is a concern for most of us. So I will impart a short cut that was shown to me, if you are not aware of it already.
When saving to disc, the screen shows the file you wish to save in . After you have indicated the desired file,
(1)Hit the Page button
(2)Go to the list of functions headed Current Panel.
(3)Select "yes" for Current Panel and All Panels,
(4)Select "save".
You will find that this speeds up the saving action.
When you need to load from the disc, it will show in the right hand column,
Current Panel
All Panels
When you select Load You will find this much faster ,but still not as fast as the SD card.
Hope this helps.... until we all own a K7!!
Ray

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online