Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#68687 - 06/24/09 09:45 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Yes Audrey,
Long live the KN7 - daddy of them all!

The Tyros3 is a good keyboard and there's much I like about it but the KN7 came out at about the time of the Tyros1 - Yamaha have had around 8 years to leave the KN7 for dead and they still haven't done it. Imagine what a new top of the range Technics would sound like now.
Tony

#68688 - 06/24/09 04:47 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I agree with everything you say Tony. When I first heard there would be no more Technics keyboards, I could have cried and I am sure many others felt the same way. I bought the T3 simply because it was a good deal, but after 4 months it still doesn't really appeal to me. I cannot explain exactly why, all I know is I do not get as much pleasure playing it as I do the KN7. People keep telling me to forget the old and stick with the new, but from what I have so far learned from the T3 (apart from using the PC connection), the saving system is very very similar to the Technics but has not been thought out properly and therefore is not as easy or as quick to use.
Nearly everything I do I have to change for various reasons when all I really want to do is play. Also, it seems to me the T3 has been put on the market with very basic facilities and if you really want to make the best of it, you have to download and pay for almost every style, voice etc. on offer making an already expensive keyboard, even more costly. Anyway enough of that.

Ah yes! a KN8. Will someone in the music World produce a new one in the future? Is it just a dream or could it become a reality?
Who knows? Maybe the new Ketron Audya will be the next competitor. I was on holiday recently and a young lady there was playing the KN7 all week but on the last day played the Audya which she said she had received the night before so didn't really know it.
However, from what I heard her play, it's very good - we shall see!

In reply to Bob on PMs A, B & C. When I took delivery of my KN7 I queried the need for these three PMs and was told this was to help those that were used to using them on the older keyboards and was advised to treat them as 'workstations' and I do just that. I usually have on-going setups in each one of them until I get a satisfactory result and then transfer them over to the Banks or SD Cards depending on what I've used them for.

Elizabeth - thank you for your email, I will reply a.s.a.p.

Audrey

#68689 - 06/27/09 02:02 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for stimulating the grey matter of the Technics users. I thought this site might disappear, being washed down the drain with all the .......on the new Audya.
The information re. the K7 has been invaluable to me, as it is a tried and tested unit, whereas any new KB is always going to be a risk until you have been able to judge it over a considerable period of time.
We have a limited range Downunder to pick from, and it is important to be able to be confidant whenever you are thinking of upgrading.
When I was going to sell my Digital 903, the only viable option was Yamaha CVP's,and after deciding not to change,in retrospect I am not sure I would have been a happy chappy,even though Yamaha have a good product. I am sure that I would feel as you, regarding your Tyros and the K7.
It is not that the product might be inferior, it's a matter of self-satisfaction.
I am still considering any K7 if they appear, and since my recent fall, I am sure "The Gardener" might reassess my value if I dare to broach the subject in due course.
The lack of Technics service is my only real concern, I am sure I have "The Gardener" onside.
To all the other posters, keep showing your interest in this Forum, there is/are a lot of you out there.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68690 - 06/27/09 07:39 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
SAINT RAY...
This has been a great thread...so far. There are so many ways to utilize the features on the KN KB's.... It was shortsighted of me to focus on JUST the 7K.

As the KN's all have similarities, how about telling us how you use the Panel Memory on your 5K?

Several have owned/played a number of the Technics KN's. With each one I have had my tendancy has been to continue to use the features pretty much the same on all of them for the simple reason that it is so much easier to remember where everything is stored! Actually, getting used to the features...

When I was playing my 7K at home and gigging with my 6K at 2 or 3 gigs/week it seemed like it took a bit of my gig time to remember just how to operate the 6K and where I had stored everything....

It was even worse when I only played once a week! Seemed like the 6K was a new machine each time!

Now that I have 2 7K's....that challenge is gone. Having 2, will hopefully be "insurance" that I will always have a 7K to play....

I am so glad I started this thread and the other two with similar questions... Everyone who has contributed has shared some great ideas....

Thanks everyone! Keep it rolling!

Elizabeth...

------------------

#68691 - 06/28/09 03:26 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Dear Elizabeth et al,
I set about programming my Panel memory because I had some special "jazz" books(hand written)which I use repeatedly,(you and me Audrey, every time I pass if the lid's open) and realised I needed pre-recorded settings for each tune, if I was going to simplify the registrations and be able to trust what I had prepared each time I decided to use each book.
I decided to approach that system with all my sheet music to establish consistency in my playing.simply using Rt1, Rt2, Rt1 and Rt2, Left voice (a must),Technicord where suitable, to achieve variation of sounds in one Panel setting, and saving to disc.
When required to expand the no. of registrations, I saved each one to disc with dedicated file, which gets tweaked quite often. DON"T FORGET TO SAVE EACH TIME.
Depending on the no. of panel memory buttons used, there are 80 individual settings available on the K5 (more on others), to be utilised on one file (Gawd I'm clever).
On a previous post I told how I spent months setting the 80 settings in the Panel Memory, and then one day deleted all by mistake. (Yeaaahh not so clever).
I have a setting for BOLERO which involves 14 changes, and have a dedicated it to a file on a disc? with others, just for that purpose.
On my pianner I use a pedal to change PM settings, which also can be done with K5 if you have a pedal!!!
I am advised that other functions can be applied to the pads, BUT no-one wants to advise me how. I have asked. Come on you guys!!! I'll bet DIKI knows, but he probably does'nt read this forum!!!!!!!
Incidently, since everyone asked, my bruise is turning brown. Does that mean I am getting better or worse. (No!!!don't answer that)
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68692 - 06/28/09 10:44 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
As Ray has stated -- I have 5 different books set up with the Panel memory location on each page. Since panel memories are 1,2,3,4 ect my music reads:
11 In the Mood – The set up for the that song is located in the 1st bank in memory 1. 12 New York New York = Bank Panel 2. I can tell where the songs are located by the Panel memory or by the book.

It is important to know that the same set up for a song can be in more than one place. I prepare my list by first working with my books, my aim is to have set ups to fit the people I am playing for – 1-Ages from 69 and up –
2-from 50 to 69 – 3-for a listening audience. They are not the same so I create my book accordingly. The book is always open to change. After a while the book becomes more of what I want.

People who play at home may not have use for this type of thinking.

John C.

#68693 - 06/28/09 10:51 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

G'Day,
For those who have KN's earlier than the K7.
Speed of loading floppies is a concern for most of us. So I will impart a short cut that was shown to me, if you are not aware of it already.
When saving to disc, the screen shows the file you wish to save in . After you have indicated the desired file,
(1)Hit the Page button
(2)Go to the list of functions headed Current Panel.
(3)Select "yes" for Current Panel and All Panels,
(4)Select "save".
You will find that this speeds up the saving action.
When you need to load from the disc, it will show in the right hand column,
Current Panel
All Panels
When you select Load You will find this much faster ,but still not as fast as the SD card.
Hope this helps.... until we all own a K7!!
Ray

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online