SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68667 - 06/19/09 08:24 AM How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
On another thread, I asked this question. There are a few responses... How about sharing how you utilize the PM on your 7K?

Elizabeth

------------------

#68668 - 06/19/09 09:22 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Very simply the rhythm changes during the course of most songs - otherwise they'd be pretty boring - and PMs provides the opportunity for me to store sequentially the settings for each progressing part of each song. Roy Orbison's Oh Pretty Woman is a good example of this with regular changes of rhythm throughout the song. By using the PMs and a foot pedal to progress around the PMs I can imitate the original song.
Rog

#68669 - 06/19/09 09:35 AM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

ROGER..

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for a more detailed explanation.... like some on the "Hopefully A Long Life" thread....

Elizabeth

------------------

#68670 - 06/19/09 03:14 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Elizabeth
It's one of those things that's easier explained and shown than written about but I think Keyboardcapers might have a written explanation....
Rog

#68671 - 06/19/09 03:23 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

ROGER...

Yes, I do agree that "show & tell" is the best method of learning.... however, there is a considerable bit of milage between all the 7K players....that is why I posted the questions...

If all of you would be willing to come to Roswell, NM.... Perhaps I could find a venue for a jam. Any takers? Spring and Fall would be the best time...though winter is quite mild here....

For those who are RV'rs you would be welcomed at my home base RV park nearest Artesia a smaller town 44 miles south of Roswell... I would look first at the possibility of a venue in Artesia for a jam...

Elizabeth

Elizabeth...

Elizabeth

------------------

#68672 - 06/19/09 03:24 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Did not intend to sign my name 3 times... It would be nice to be able to edit a post rather than just delete it.. NIGEL????

#68673 - 06/19/09 04:58 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Elizabeth,
Heres how I use Panel Memories on my Kn7
I use a panel memory bank (in Expand Mode) with a different style set up especially for each song I play.
These are saved on the SD card (just saving 3 main banks, Composer & Sound Memory)
in categories such as Musicals, Slow swing, Country etc.
When you have more than the 20 songs which a folder can hold hold, you can label them,
Slow Swing 1 / Slow swing 2 or Slow Swing A to M / Slow Swing N to Z
I soon became able to remember the position of each song in a folder
(except for those I rarely play) so finding & loading takes very little time.

It's not generally known that the Performance Pads can be set up to move around the panel memories.
As I never use the Performance Pads anyway, I have them always set on "Control Preset".
Just press Bank button / Control Preset - (This is saved in panel memories when in Expand Mode)
This enables you to move up a Bank with Pad 2 - Move down a Bank with Pad 5
Move forward to the next panel memory with Pad 4
Move backward to the preceeding panel memory with Pad 6

Pad 1 Switches Roary to Slow / Fast
Pad 6 operates Glide

It becomes so quick & easy to move around that you'll wonder how you ever managed without
it and you have the advantage of being able to change panel memories with either hand.

As a panel memory bank loads 3 banks anyway (A, B & C), you can set up 3 different songs
or set up a song with 3 different styles to choose from, and easily move around.
If playing a medley with four full variations to each song, you can play 6 songs without stopping.
Tony

#68674 - 06/19/09 05:45 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
etwo4788 Offline

Anthony.....

Thanks for your post.... very helpful info.

Unless I have misunderstood... it seems easier when using the pads to just add which one you want to use with the rhythms and sounds you put in each PM.... Also leave the "Auto setting" little red light on with your choice of pads when you set your PM choice....

I do use them a lot in my play along with the 4 variations and turning on and off the Sound Arranger on/off button.... All of this helps to avoid a constant boring rhythm for those who use the auto rhythms. Works for me!

I will check out your method of using the Performance Pads... I do use Expand Mode though what you say about Control Preset is new to me... Thanks very much..

Elizabeth

#68675 - 06/19/09 08:32 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Roger you work almost exactly the way I do, as I expressed in the other thread. There needs to be a new rhythm/voicing change for almost every new phrase of a song. Hence the usual need for 8 or so panel memory settings for each song. And when those settings are saved sequentially in panel memories it is easy to walk through the changes with a foot switch. This makes the change simple where it is difficult to leave the keys while you are playing.

Anthony, I had not thought of your method of using pads for panel memory changes. I am going to try that method with the KN2600. It only has a single foot switch available and using the pads may be a good alternative because of their proximity to the left hand. You use a method very similar to Roger and I except that you take advantage of PM banks B and C for additional song setups. I prefer to focus on a single song for each SD load because it is so simple and so fast. But, I like the way you setup for medleys.

John C, in the other thread you suggest staying with a method that you have used with older keyboards. I believe you miss the advancements available in newer keyboards when you take that approach. Since you are working with a KN5000 now, your method is obviously best for you at this time. If you find a 7K, do try a newer method. I am certain you will like it better.

#68676 - 06/19/09 10:38 PM Re: How do you use the 7K Panel Memory
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi, Elizabeth,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online