SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6860 - 06/06/05 04:21 PM Busted another key
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Dang It Anyway!!!
We just finished a 2 week gig at a local watering hole. Fortunately this happened on the last night.
The return on one of my Db keys, about 3/4 of the way up the kb, broke.
It wasn't bad enuff that it broke, but it wouldn't return, so I was, for a very short time getting some "ugly" chords happening.
I quickly switched to my SP100 to finish to song, and most of the set.
It happened in the middle of a Stevie Winwood/Spencer Davis medley, which involved some serious hammering of the keys...that plus I was really into it so, yes, I may have over-played somewhat.

During our break, I did a global transpose, raising everything an octave, so I could keep away from the offending key.
Just had to make up for it a few times using my SP for my left hand work.(T3 is mounted above my SP.)
Anyhoo...long story short....she'll (T3) be heading in for repairs.
She's a good old beast, but when stuff like this happens, it's easy to get frosted.
------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 06-10-2005).]

#6861 - 06/07/05 04:31 AM Re: Busted another key
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Sorry, to hear so! A broken key is like a broken heart...

Nevertheless a good and professional reaction, Shboom!

On the other side...it's good to hear that a keyboardist has similar problems like the others in the band have too. Broken strings, broken drum skins, broken teeth by the microphone...*LOL*

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#6862 - 06/08/05 07:36 PM Re: Busted another key
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Yeah it happens, breaking git strings ect, there was this one band playing a 5 string bass and by the end he had a 3 string 5 string. Breaking 2 bass strings...wow haha. What type of repair would something like that have? Hopefully it wont happen to my KB for a while anyways, but i mean hey, why would it? Its a Roland haha, although my XP-60 had a key that wouldnt come up hehe o well, who needs the full 61 keys anyways? haha

Phil

#6863 - 06/09/05 04:43 AM Re: Busted another key
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Geez broke (2) bass strings! What the heck was he doing.....using a hubcap as a pick????? Every band I've played in I've never had the bass player snap a string, I snapped a few guitar strings myself, but not seen any basses snap.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#6864 - 06/18/05 03:34 PM Re: Busted another key
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Over 4 weeks waiting for a reply from the place that was gonna fix my busted key. 4 weeks, and they still never got back to me, I ended up contacting them to tell them forget it...I'd found a more efficient repair person.
Thumbs down to Dave's Keyboards of Victoria and their repair "technician".

Thumbs Up and many thanks to Martin / Owner: Tempo Trend Music, Victoria, and their repair tech.
3 days, in and out. Ya can't ask for better than that!!

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 06-18-2005).]

#6865 - 06/19/05 02:45 AM Re: Busted another key
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Geez broke (2) bass strings! What the heck was he doing.....using a hubcap as a pick????? Every band I've played in I've never had the bass player snap a string, I snapped a few guitar strings myself, but not seen any basses snap.

Squeak

I know how that happens because I used to play bass in a band myself. I broke the E string during a song and was forced to try and pump out the line on the A string. Because I had to move the part up an octave I pumped the line even harder to try to make it drive the band without the same low end response and in doing so I then broke the A string. So that is how you break 2 bass strings.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 06-19-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online