SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68170 - 02/12/09 02:25 AM Help
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
I want to put percussion sounds in the sound pads on KN7k/KN2600,how can this be done,is it easy, and will it be permanently saved?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Derek

#68171 - 02/12/09 09:33 AM Re: Help
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Derek,

1. How can this be done? - see pages 68 - 73 of your user manual.
2. Is it easy? - fairly, after some experimentation.
3. Will it be permanently saved? - The User Performance Pad data is only retained for a short time after switching off, however, you can include the 'Performance Pad' option in Page 2 of the 'Save to SD' operation and then re-call the User Pads as required.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68172 - 02/13/09 08:37 AM Re: Help
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Derek,

1. How can this be done? - see pages 68 - 73 of your user manual.
2. Is it easy? - fairly, after some experimentation.
3. Will it be permanently saved? - The User Performance Pad data is only retained for a short time after switching off, however, you can include the 'Performance Pad' option in Page 2 of the 'Save to SD' operation and then re-call the User Pads as required.

Thanks Bill for your advice, however having cleared the pad, how do you select and put the drum sound you want into the pads, I couldn't find how to do this.Derek

#68173 - 02/13/09 02:23 PM Re: Help
Bill Norrie Offline

This is not the first time I have been asked about programming the Performance Pads. Our friend Alec (Technicsplayer) devoted quite a few pages to some of the processes involved, in his excellent book 'How Do I Do That'. However, he mainly concentrated on creating Pads from either Sequence, or a style converted to sequence. When I can find some time, I'll write a full tutorial based on the other methods and add it to the TechTips page on my website.

There are several methods of creating patterns in the User Performance Pad Memories.
a. Use 'Real Time' entry : b.Use 'Step Time' entry : Copy part of an existing sequence to create a pad.

The following briefly describes the 'Step Time' method, since the other methods are described in the manual..

1. Program Menus > Performance Pads > Recording Bank A
2. Press Bank Clear > Yes
3. Name the Bank for example - 'My Drums'
4. Press 'Pad 1' and if required, select 'Pad Naming'
5. Press 'Play Setting' - You can opt for either Loop or Single Shot operation and either Synchro Start or Instant Start. The latter options are fairly self explanatory - ie. if you choose 'Instant', then the pad will start to play immediately you press the appropriate Performance Pad button. If you choose 'Synchro', then the Pad will start to play in synchronisation with the selected rhythm style. Initially, I suggest that you select 'Synchro' and 'Off' for these parameters. However, you can change these settings at any time after the pads have been recorded.
6. Press EXIT once and then set the desired number of measures for the Pad (1 to 16) and press OK.
7. Press 'Part 1' and then 'Start/Stop' to silence the Metronome.
8. Press 'Part Setting' and then press 'DRUM KITS' in the Sound Group.
9. Select an appropriate Drum Kit - say 'Live Standard Kit' and press EXIT once (if the auto timeout does not operate)
10. Press EXIT again and then press 'Step Record' to display the Step Recording screen.
11. Your keyboard is now configured as a complete drum kit and you can enter individual drum sounds within the 4 beats of the selected number of measures.
12. For example, assuming you have selected just 1 single 4 beat measure in step 6.....
13. Move the cursor to the first division of the first beat (if it's not already there)
14. Set the Note Length to a Quaver Triplet (Quaver Icon with a '3')
15. Press key C2 three times : press key B2 three times : press key A2 three times : press key F2 once. You have now entered a series of descending pitch triplet beats on 4 different Tom-Toms.
16. Press the Start/Stop button and after a 2 measure count-down on the metronome, you will hear your drum pattern play through once. Note : In Step 5 above, If you selected the 'Loop' setting to 'ON', the 2 measure count-down will not activate.
17. Having created this simple example pattern, you can then either clear it and create your own pattern in Pad 1 or go back to Step 4 and select another pad and create a pattern
If you are satisfied with your results, press Program Menus once to return to the home screen and you can now 'play' the pattern(s) by pressing the appropriate Performance Pad buttons.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#68174 - 02/15/09 08:09 AM Re: Help
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
This is not the first time I have been asked about programming the Performance Pads. Our friend Alec (Technicsplayer) devoted quite a few pages to some of the processes involved, in his excellent book 'How Do I Do That'. However, he mainly concentrated on creating Pads from either Sequence, or a style converted to sequence. When I can find some time, I'll write a full tutorial based on the other methods and add it to the TechTips page on my website.

There are several methods of creating patterns in the User Performance Pad Memories.
a. Use 'Real Time' entry : b.Use 'Step Time' entry : Copy part of an existing sequence to create a pad.

The following briefly describes the 'Step Time' method, since the other methods are described in the manual..

1. Program Menus > Performance Pads > Recording Bank A
2. Press Bank Clear > Yes
3. Name the Bank for example - 'My Drums'
4. Press 'Pad 1' and if required, select 'Pad Naming'
5. Press 'Play Setting' - You can opt for either Loop or Single Shot operation and either Synchro Start or Instant Start. The latter options are fairly self explanatory - ie. if you choose 'Instant', then the pad will start to play immediately you press the appropriate Performance Pad button. If you choose 'Synchro', then the Pad will start to play in synchronisation with the selected rhythm style. Initially, I suggest that you select 'Synchro' and 'Off' for these parameters. However, you can change these settings at any time after the pads have been recorded.
6. Press EXIT once and then set the desired number of measures for the Pad (1 to 16) and press OK.
7. Press 'Part 1' and then 'Start/Stop' to silence the Metronome.
8. Press 'Part Setting' and then press 'DRUM KITS' in the Sound Group.
9. Select an appropriate Drum Kit - say 'Live Standard Kit' and press EXIT once (if the auto timeout does not operate)
10. Press EXIT again and then press 'Step Record' to display the Step Recording screen.
11. Your keyboard is now configured as a complete drum kit and you can enter individual drum sounds within the 4 beats of the selected number of measures.
12. For example, assuming you have selected just 1 single 4 beat measure in step 6.....
13. Move the cursor to the first division of the first beat (if it's not already there)
14. Set the Note Length to a Quaver Triplet (Quaver Icon with a '3')
15. Press key C2 three times : press key B2 three times : press key A2 three times : press key F2 once. You have now entered a series of descending pitch triplet beats on 4 different Tom-Toms.
16. Press the Start/Stop button and after a 2 measure count-down on the metronome, you will hear your drum pattern play through once. Note : In Step 5 above, If you selected the 'Loop' setting to 'ON', the 2 measure count-down will not activate.
17. Having created this simple example pattern, you can then either clear it and create your own pattern in Pad 1 or go back to Step 4 and select another pad and create a pattern
If you are satisfied with your results, press Program Menus once to return to the home screen and you can now 'play' the pattern(s) by pressing the appropriate Performance Pad buttons.

Thanks Bill for the info, however you didn't mention how I could put drum sounds into the pads which is what I wanted to do.
Having said that a few years ago a friend had composed some drum sounds on his KN6000 for use in a pantomime,and he recorded a copy
on a floppy for me, as it contained a country rythm which i didn't want, I was able to delete the rythm so that I could use it with another style, it cntained a crash cymbal which was what I really wanted. I have savedit on anSD card for future use.
Derek

#68175 - 02/15/09 09:27 AM Re: Help
Bill Norrie Offline

Derek, I may be missing something here?? But I thought that is exactly what I explained

Aldous Huxley

#68176 - 02/16/09 07:57 AM Re: Help
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
Derek, I may be missing something here?? But I thought that is exactly what I explained

Bill, All I got was atriplet of tones when following your instructions, nevermind I got what I wanted the other way. Thank you for your help. Derek

#68177 - 02/18/09 01:01 AM Re: Help
Bill Norrie Offline

That is exactly what I would have expected you to hear
The explanation was purely an example of how to create a simple sequence within a pad. Having grasped the basic idea, you could then create your own pads.

Aldous Huxley

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online