SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#68108 - 02/09/09 04:28 AM Re: Technics PR804 memory when turned off
Mavermick Offline

Technics +1.

That's nice to know. I've never known a firm to use Tantalum caps, even the brain of my Mitsubishi 3000GT died due to leaking electrolytics.

It's nice to know!

Thanks,

Mike.

#68109 - 02/10/09 05:48 PM Re: Technics PR804 memory when turned off
Walt M Offline

Some years ago I had a Technics organ, It was, as far as I can determine, the predecessor of the Technics keyboard line.
It used a capacitor to keep the memory alive (they claimed about three weeks). When the capacitor died, I replaced it with a 3.6 volt lithium battery. I put a diode in the positive lead of the battery so that it wouldn't be charged (and damaged) when the organ was turned on. When I sold the organ, six years later, the battery was still doing it's job and I had not lost a setting in six years.
Just a thought,
Walt

#68110 - 02/11/09 01:43 AM Re: Technics PR804 memory when turned off
Mavermick Offline

Good info thanks.

You'd have thought the best way for memory was to use a standby function, mine's always plugged in but of course once you power off it doesn't know it is.

Seems daft to offer limited memory when there's 230V begging to be used.

The battery idea is a good one but I don't know whether I brave enough to change something from it's original design.

Many thanks,

Mike.

#68111 - 02/12/09 04:35 PM Re: Technics PR804 memory when turned off
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Wow! You learn something every day.

During the last week I've had problems with my PC which I cured by changing the 6 year old battery and as Bill Norrie pointed out this is relatively easy compared to the details mentioned here. Until now, I didn't know any of the concerns with batteries in the keyboards/organs and frankly, even if I knew where to start, I don't think I would have the nerve to try it. "Every man to his trade" as the saying goes and I am sure I would have to call in an expert.

It is all very interesting though.

Audrey

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online