SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#677 - 01/23/03 09:44 AM Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

Any Tannoy users here? I got me a pair of these today. I listened to them for a while in the store (mostly chocking customers there with Autechre's 'Confield' and 'LP5') and I just had to bring a pair home. My headphone days are over.

-tek

#678 - 01/23/03 12:23 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I don't personally have Tannoy , but , a friend of mine does . They do sound nice . Autechre is a great way to test them out , Confield is a nice album .

#679 - 01/23/03 12:39 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

I just got tired of my headphones. I listened to a couple of my recent tracks and I instantly noticed how low my fx levels were. Reverbs are barely audible in the Tannoys, thanks to closed headphones mixing.

-tek

#680 - 01/23/03 10:19 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I want the non powered models - they sound great. First I have to sell my Event 2020's. Anyone ????

#681 - 01/24/03 12:09 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Headphones are only useful for monitoring takes or checking how a mix actually sounds through headphones. Although many people may think having a set of cans clamped to your head is optimal listening, it is not. Sound frequency waves do not develop the same when generated so close to the ear. For realworld listening environments they are not a good way to mix as they give you a false impression of how sound will sound through speakers. As you noticed they make you think you have a lot more reverb than you do. They also make it very hard to judge low and high end response. Plus they can emphasize problems that are virtually inaudible when heard through speakers.

Always check your mix the way people will end up listening to your music...... through speakers.

The Tannoys will sound much better than headphones and your mixes will improve markedly because of the truer listening environment.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-24-2003).]

#682 - 01/24/03 04:02 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

One thing was odd though. The guy in the store told me you could put the monitors on their side, with the tweeters pointing out. According to him, they would sound even better that way. So, I come home and browse through the Tannoy manual. There's a big picture of the monitors on their side with a cross over it and the word, "BAD!". Heheh.

-tek

#683 - 01/24/03 06:05 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
tek, you have my blessing to go to the store and kick that guy in the nuts

#684 - 01/25/03 07:27 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Nigel Offline
Admin

Yes he was incorrect in telling you that. The whole reason for the demand for near field monitors was due to minimizing the time delay between low frequency and high frequency sounds reaching your ears. Putting the monitors on their side with the tweeters further away from you than the woofers means there would be a greater delay on the the high frequencies and will have a bad effect on the sound quality.

He was wrong to tell you that .....

#685 - 01/27/03 12:03 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Speaker driver alignment is all to do with phasing. ideally all drive units should be placed in a vertical line, as close together as physically possible (drive unit size) indicates and placed in a cabinet as narrow as possible (Drive unit size).
In the listening environment near field monitors should be suspended free air. Placing any speaker on a mixing desk or solid cabinet or near any reflective surfaces will add coloration.

Graham UK

#686 - 01/27/03 12:56 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, agreed. The salesman has the ears of the tin man. Close proximity enclosures are best within the given field, suspended relative plane to ear level and facing to direct line of sight. Best they not be placed on reflective surfaces; especially those reflective that are acutely angular to any acute degree. In the manner of obtuse angles, coloration can be formed via reflection relative to room size, but would not be much of a determinant in effecting the drivers direct sound.

Once we reach heaven (or your higher place), may all of us in the know be given a private room with no walls in a city of silence. Monitors levitated in perfect position.

Although I would never use them for mixing or mastering, my electrostatic headphones are great for those late night / early morning jump out of bed and play this immediately before it's lost, moments. They keep loved ones from El-Kabonging* you.

*El Kahbong is an old discontinued cartoon because of it's nature of violence whereby the super hero "El-Kahbong" would take his weapon, a jumbo like body acoustic guitar and spindle the guitar body through the villin's head going through it, leaving the guitar capitivating them at shoulder level. (no wonder it was discontinued for violent nature.) It was not my favorite, but it was funny. I liked Gigantor, the remote controlled robot the best.
MORPH!

#687 - 01/27/03 09:49 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

Never heard of those cartoons. I used to watch DJ Kat show on Sky back in the day, but mostly because of Linda. She was the hostess.

The sales guy was a drummer and he was in a hurry to a gig. Just my luck, although that didn't really matter. I had read some reviews on the net and people don't seem to have a bad thing to say about these monitors. I was pretty much set on them. Atleast I got to hear them before I bought them.

I've started on this mad joke techno thing called, 'Educational piano
songs for children'. The first track is called 'Kill your parents'.

-tek

#688 - 01/27/03 10:46 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
never trust a drummer, ever.

#689 - 01/27/03 08:57 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tek, A friend gave me some speakers that I put downstairs in this small study like TV room. I have been puzzled by these for weeks. They say Dahlquist "Phased Array DQ-10". Ever heard of? These speakers say 100 Watts on the rear panel. 7.95 Ohms was the static load they tested at. They come off at 100 watts like "What are you trying to do? Tickle me?" They are old schools-I think looks like a split 5 way setup(actually a three way with the mids and highs ohm split together in phased parrellel) I pour power into these things and they just suck it up like it's nothing. I mean a lot of power Great sound with no discernible speaker distortion that I can detect until ridiculas power levels are whoa I mean waaaay beyond 250 Watts each, when low freq kiks begin to buckle, RMS power meters show about 400 Watts per side! A speaker with this appetite? What kind of freak speakers are these? My original impression was that they are just old school audiophile stereo speakers from your neck of the woods. The Heil's I have in my bedroom sound like they're ready for discharge at a garage sale compared to these weird looking power suckers. Is this pair a freak? or no??
MORPH!

#690 - 01/28/03 09:39 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
tekminus Offline

Do you mean these?

Dahlquist seem to have dissapeared. The speakers you mention are priced at $750 on the same site the pic is from. Looks like audiophile stuff.

-tek

#691 - 01/28/03 11:52 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Anonymous
Unregistered

BULLSEYED! yup that's one of the power pigs right there. The base is a tiny bit different but that is the enclosure. I suspect these drivers were derived from recycled dual quad 850 double pumper Holley carbs. I wonder why they are so greatly power under-rated. Not bad for a freebie anyway. At 750 the guy is making a profit in my opinion. Dissappeared huh? nice, esp. for buyers with warrantys.

#692 - 01/28/03 09:10 PM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
Nigel Offline
Admin

The cartoon show was "Quick Draw McGraw" who was a horse and El-KahBong was one of the characters he played.

I think tek's salesman could well do with a hit over the head with an acoustic guitar. It may shake some sense into him but I wouldn't abuse a defenseless guitar like that myself

#693 - 01/29/03 01:54 AM Re: Tannoy Reveal Actives
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
the reveals are a great bang for the buck speaker, you should be very happy with them for quite some time.

Make sure you set them up well. Also check out how some other folks suggest the alignment of the speakers they make. there is some good downloadable info at the Genelec site and the BBC white paper stuff is always interesting if your really a geek.

Anyway take the time to set them up as best you can, that is as close to the ideal setup as you can come up with.

then spend a lot of time listening to other mixes and your own and get to know what your mixes and such sound like on other systems as well. You will get to know them and thus your mixes will improve greatly.

i use KRK's myself but am thinking of getting a pair of Reveals for getting better sweet spot when programming the synths and leave the KRK's for monitoring when mixing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online