SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#67618 - 10/22/08 01:19 PM Making a style from a midifile
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hello,

A rather long message but I don"t attent so much.

I like to make a style from parts of a midifile. Now that midifiles have there own chord progression I have to transpose them to C maj. That is not a problem for me but I come to a certain problem.

So with the simple chord of F (fac) there is no problem 5 semitones down and you have CEG. But in the case I have a nice guitar accomp. where the chord exist of more tones
say fmaj7. Lower that to C gets CEFB or the chord Gm7 transpose to C = G bflat DF.

If you play a song with the autoplay chord and in the left hand a C chord there is no problem but with other chords playing it is totally out of tune.

I tried to erase the b flat in the specific chord and make it a simple triade chord but that gives not the exact full sound as in the midifile.
I looked into some built in styles how they solved the problem.
I saw the item Chord Modify Chance But how it exactly works? Even in the book How Do I Do That from Alex Pagida stated at page 49 below.
It is a good an wonderfull function but
Detailed explanation of this function....is outside the scope of this discussion.

So is there somebody who has experience of making styles from midifiles and had dealed with this kind of Chords and has a solution for it.

Doing all this is saw in the composer item by part setting heading Pitch point
by somestones there a note like a flat. What does it means for that tone.

rgds
Willem.

#67619 - 10/23/08 04:01 AM Re: Making a style from a midifile
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
This software makes it easy... http://www.emc-software.de/taste/

#67620 - 10/23/08 08:30 AM Re: Making a style from a midifile
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Thanks.
Does anybody a little more about the chord modify thing in the composer.
rgds.
Willem

#67621 - 10/23/08 03:24 PM Re: Making a style from a midifile
technicsplayer Offline

to fully quote from my book:

"You can program how the style responds to chord changes. There are 23 types of response to various chord changes, so that the actual pattern will play different notes, depending on which chord you play in the left hand.
For instance, the same variation will have a different pattern if you play a major a minor or a 7th chord. Or holding a note in the accomp after you change chord in the left hand, or keep an accomp straying too far from its inversion when you change chords!
This is not only programmable for each separate accomp track; it is programmable for each individual note of the accompaniment pattern in Step Record!
Experimentation here produces some startlingly good results to keep the backing fresh, inventive and interesting, let alone musically coherent as you play with the automatic chords - an extremely advanced feature with flawless triggering.
In addition, all of this is independently programmable for each note of each track of each of the 4 individual variations, and each of the 8 individual fills of each single composer.
Detailed explanation of this function requires in depth musical knowledge outside the scope of this discussion."

So to understand the programming you need a good grounding in chord theory, which obviously is outside that book criteria, it's a book in itself!

Basically unless using just C E G (for which there is a basic setting) the chord modify must be set to the correct type otherwise the style will sound the wrong notes in anything other than Cmaj.

Most of the chord tables are self explanatory in that the name describes the function so you have to choose the one that matches the notes used.

Incidentally Styleworks is a very good program but is certainly not infallible and the results often need editing to produce a professional result.

#67622 - 11/19/08 04:34 PM Re: Making a style from a midifile
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
This software makes it easy... http://www.emc-software.de/taste/

Has anyone in the USA ever purchased anything on line from this dealer EMC)? All prices are quoted in Euros but I wonder if it is safe to order and receive merchandise from them? I couldn't find any indication of possible foreign (i.e. USA) sales possible or how to order.

Thanks for any information.

Ted

#67623 - 11/20/08 02:12 AM Re: Making a style from a midifile
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Ted
Perfectly safe and he's a very nice man who speaks english pretty well - so I suggest you give him a call and ask him what you need to know.
What I did was download the demo and then he just gave me the password over the phone to unlock the software and use it fully.
Roger M

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online