SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#67020 - 05/13/08 04:10 PM F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Bill,

Here is a question for you.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to copy ALL my SD Cards to a large PEN DRIVE, connect it to the KN using the USB socket and play my songs from there instead of using the SD Card? The restriction of 99 Folders to an SD Card means I sometimes have to change cards when playing at 'gigs' e.g. today I had to do this just to get "Embraceable You" (a request).

I'll be very interested in your reply.

Thanks a lot.

Aud

#67021 - 05/13/08 04:24 PM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Audrey - In a word No!
The KN7000 is not capable of 'Talking' to a passive device such as a Pen Drive, if it was somehow connected to the USB port. The KN7000 appears like a USB Peripheral device - just like a Pen Drive, or printer, or scanner and needs a controller - such as a PC - with the necessary software, to allow communication.
What you want to do is make two 'Peripheral' devices talk to each other and it just ain't possible..........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67022 - 05/13/08 11:47 PM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Audrey
20 x 99 = nearly 2000.
How much stuff have you got on either of your SD Cards that you never use...?
Rog

#67023 - 05/14/08 02:15 PM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
Audrey Turner Offline

Thank you Bill, I guessed it would not be possible otherwise it would be in the Manual but knowing how you love to experiment, I thought you might have found a solution. Never mind it was only a thought (I do have these mad ideas now and then....)

Roger - currently I have the following SD Cards:-

15 x of my own sets (mainly medleys)
4 x Technote Professional sets
8 x Keyboard Club Member's sets
2 x Christmas Medleys/Songs/Carols

and yes! with the exception of the Christmas cards, I do use/update/back them all up regularly.

You have to remember I have used Technics since the KN650 and so over the years have accumulated quite a few floppies both professional and my own and these are included on the SD Cards, so when you take into account the amount of 'floppy' storage space saved, there really aren't that many.

If only I could save my Technics PR900 piano floppies to SD Card, this number would almost double but sadly it's not possible.

By the way, I still haven't managed to get your radio 'spot' on the net yet - any ideas why? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Aud

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 05-14-2008).]

#67024 - 05/16/08 02:53 AM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi again Audrey
For some unexplained reason the live streaming of Swindon105.5fm on www.swindon1055.com has been off air for the past few days but it is now back up and running again. My next live broadcast is next monday at 2.00pm UK time.
Rog

#67025 - 05/16/08 02:28 PM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks for the info Roger, I'll try again next Monday.

Aud

#67026 - 05/17/08 11:41 AM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
technicsplayer Offline

I have all my individual SD cards on one single SD card, containing the order of 800 technics folders of professionally produced files but you need a pda or similar handheld pc to make use of them all without a laptop or desktop.

The 1 GB card has 14 named folders in the root, e.g. Technote, Non technote, HB Soft, Algo, Sequences, etc etc, each with the corresponding PRIVATE folder inside and a simple name file to identify the contents of that private folder in the portable screen.

Only one private folder is allowed in the root of the sd card at any one time (otherwise you would be overwriting), to change contents I slip the card into my handheld and using the windows explorer type function move the private folder and the name file back inside it's named folder and move another private folder and it's name file to the root of the card.

This effectively swaps sd cards, and the whole process literally only takes a few seconds because the move operation does not move any files at all (which could take a long time writing on a slow card with much contents) but only rewrites a few location pointers in the file allocation table each time, so is very quick indeed.

The KN7000 cannot see the named folders and thus only sees the current private folder in the root normally for KN7000 operations. The name file is there purely for me to see which private folder is which when looking on the portable screen, and to know which named folder to return it to before moving the next private folder (effective whole sd card) out to the root.

Thus though the KN7000 can only see one card of 99 folders at a time, I don't have to carry around the 9 or 10 various 64MB/128MB/256MB themed and organised cards and have all those same contents on a single card which works fine in the 7k.

I do the same thing with midi files and the sd_sound folder to get much more than 999 midi files on the single card.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 05-17-2008).]

#67027 - 05/17/08 04:47 PM Re: F.A.O. Bill Norrie - USB
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks for the info Technicsplayer.

I have a PDA but never even thought about using it for my SD Cards. Sounds like a great idea and when I get a 'minute' I'll have a go. I'll keep you posted on this.

Thanks again - Audrey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online