SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#66941 - 04/29/08 04:04 PM Re: Hi All.......
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Thanks so much to all of you. Much of the input has been pretty much "right on". I've taken a good assessment of the situation I face, and have arrived at the following:
1. Central Florida, as much as I love it, is hardly the entertainment "Mecca" of the world. Basically, in the Sebring/Lake Placid area, we have a few service organizations that are barely staying above water (Elks, Moose, VFW, Legion, etc.) They all offer some form of entertainment, mainly DJ's, however, simply can't afford to pay a decent wage for an evening's work. There is quite a bit of "Country" in demand here, which (except for a few Country Classics) I really don't perform. So, I've arrived at the conclusion that if I intend to make any sort of living by performing, this area is "out".
2. Both the East and West coasts of Florida are where things are "happening" musically. So, that's where I intend to concentrate my efforts. It will involve travel, so be it.
3. Back in the late 60's and through the 70's, I played with some great bands. I was the Musical Director (so to speak) with most of them, determined the tunes played in "sets" as well as organizing the various harmonies required for vocals. I enjoyed this type of work, and honestly feel that group playing is becoming more and more of a real option. Actually, it's much easier than doing a single. Many bands now can play the "classics" of the 60's and 70's, but ask them for "Moonlight In Vermont" and you get a blank stare. I can do the 60's/70's stuff as well as provide needed support for the older tunes. I honestly think that what I would bring to the table would be welcomed by most bands.
4. John, honestly, my piano technique is so old and rusty...I did several "cocktail" type jobs, but was never comfortable. I'm an organist/keyboardist and have never pretended to be able to carry a job on piano. If, in your tuning travels, you happen upon a venue that might consider a keyboard single/vocalist, please let me know....
5. I have contacted a couple of bands advertising on Musicians Contact. One was out of Cocoa Beach, Florida (The Elite Showband) and the other was a group out of West Palm Beach (On The Roxx). So far, the dialogue has been good...both groups are asking for a an experienced keyboard player, and both groups have upcoming cruise ship gigs lined up, as well as other corporate and night-club jobs. Nothing "concrete" yet, but I'll keep everyone posted if one "hits".
Again, I do thank everyone who added to this thread, it is most appreciated.
Jim Helwig

#66942 - 04/30/08 07:05 AM Re: Hi All.......
Jim Helwig Offline

A slight correction. In my original post, I said that the name of the female singer over in West Palm was Diane DeAngelo...actually her name is Diane DeNoble. She maintains a website for her "On The Roxx" band which has some nice clips etc. The website is worth a look - it's http://www.dianedenoble.com

#66943 - 04/30/08 08:50 AM Re: Hi All.......
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I've had a look Jim and can see exactly the style of music she delivers. You may need some style files that you currently don't have e.g. I Will Survive etc etc
I've no doubt that she too is looking to replicate the original sound which can be readily achieved on the KN7000 - get in touch with me if you find that you need more style files of the more modern pop music genre.
Rog

#66944 - 04/30/08 11:01 AM Re: Hi All.......
Jim Helwig Offline

Thanks for the offer Rog. I haven't gotten far enough along to determine if she's interested in using any sequences along with the live performance. In her song clips, it's obvious that she's using some form of Karaoke files, however, in the video's, it sounds live. I kept waiting for the keyboard player to do the horn licks in the vid "Shake Your Booty"...he must've been having a bad day, they weren't there, lol. If you're gonna do KC and the Sunshine Band, those horns better be there. One tune I had in mind for her (and I have a dynamite keyboard and vocal arrangement which would fit her to a "T") is the old Kiki Dee song "I've Got The Music In Me". A band I used to work with used it as the opening song, and the place went nuts, lol. If I find that I need those styles, I'll email you directly. Thanks again. Jim H.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online