SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66676 - 03/11/08 03:54 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Scott, you said:

"Saving SOUND MEMORY in every sequenced song is a dangerous thing when one plays live because of the changing sound possibilities."

I can only say again what I said in the above post. All it takes to return to the settings you want, is a SD card load of less than five seconds and you are ready to play live.

Back to Custom Panel again. The answer to your question is "Yes".

I don't know exactly what you did that changed your panel memory setups or if they were even changed at all. A Custom Panel setup does not change other Panel Memory setups.>

#66677 - 03/11/08 06:04 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have read this posting with great interest and to me it is all totally confusing and seems to entail a lot of hard work.

All I do when planning a 'gig' is firstly to find out the type of music required, set up the styles on the KN7, then save to an SD Card and/or SD Favourites. Finally I pencil in the file and song number on the music sheet. You can then access the song either by the SD Card number or SD Favourites, which is loaded in seconds. For added security I 'lock' the SD Card to prevent it accidentally being overwritten by myself or anyone else.

Literally hundreds of songs/settings can be saved to the SD Card Favourites and it is well worth using. (Thanks for that Roger...)

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 03-11-2008).]

#66678 - 03/11/08 07:00 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Audrey, your method is the way almost everyone I know works. I also use load by number and have the SD card location written on each music sheet. It is simple. It is safe. It is quick. And, it is efficient.

#66679 - 03/12/08 05:12 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Having read all this I am certain that it is, by default, what Scott did not save that caused the changes to occur.
If you don't save sound to panel memories then that area - sound - will be open/subject to every subsequent deliberate or accidental change that occurs sound wise whether it's Right 1 Right 2 or even Left.
I can understand Scott finding a method to ensure continuity of play particularly if the music is uptempo and Scott is singing to it - hence the use of SD Song Medley. What I guess he's never discovered is just how quickly SD Cards load the next setting for the next number with all the safety factors built into that approach for saving/recalling your work.
Incidentally I move custom styles as quickly as possible to Memory bank 'A' as Custom Style is liable to be altered by adding other custom styles!!!

#66680 - 03/12/08 06:06 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Audrey, I agree, it is a lot of work –BUT--- that little funny word, once it is done I feel the major part is over and if I am going to play a job that requires special music or just wish to play live wherever and I am fully prepared.

It is my nature to use my instrument to the fullest extent, the work involved has always been a welcomed challenge. When a new keyboard enters my life breaking to code (Operating system) has always been exciting, new discoveries.

I should add that my set up started with the KN3000 is still the same. It has traveled from the Kn30000 to the Kn5000, Kn6500 and the KN7000. Each new keyboard brought improvements to my set up. It is constantly growing.
This would not be possible if I did not start with a well thought out base.
How is it said, “Different strokes for different folks” true.

I bring all this information to the Jam in Florida.

John C.

PS, I have been transferring my KN thoughts to my new Toy, Yamaha S900, it has been one tall task BUT, "here I go again", it is almost done.

#66681 - 03/12/08 09:35 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello all,

I agree with Bruno, there are many ways to work with technology to achieve the same end result and when you find a system that suits you'd be wise to stick to it. Fortunately, over the years all Technics keyboards have used very similar 'basics' and as Bruno said it is great fun to find out the added'extras' to each new keyboard.

However, it took me quite awhile to grasp the fact the ABC Panel Memories only hold the data for 80 minutes when the keyboard was switched off which was very frustrating at the time and although I have moved on quite a bit since then, I will admit I am still learning each day particularly through this Forum which to me is the best on the net.

Your new toy sounds very interesting Bruno. I went to a 'Y' demonstration recently and was quite impressed with the 900 so much so, I'm thinking of getting one to link up with the KN7 via midi, would this possible or would the two keyboards be incompatible?

Audrey

#66682 - 03/12/08 12:30 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quoting Audrey
I went to a 'Y' demonstration recently and was quite impressed with the 900 so much so, I'm thinking of getting one to link up with the KN7 via midi, would this possible or would the two keyboards be incompatible?

Audrey, It is possible BUT, here’s that word again, I have found that the quality or type of sound coming from the two keyboards or sound module was not compatible. When I added the second sound I felt it was coming from another place. You also have to deal with midi settings, although it came be done you are open to a third party midi file which may change your settings. There are way to protect the data but you have entered another stage of learning, it now becomes less user friendly.

But, ha ha I just love using that word, it puts me on the other side – This is what I would do:
1-First – Do not do as I did – I sold my Kn7000 and bought a S900. That is equivalent to one real good move and one terrible one, ya might relate that to tunnel vision. You can also relate that to this aging mind, There is a Jam coming in Florida this March, I just might be able to steel Glen’s Kn7000.

2-Have a double rack stand and use each one independently. You will have the best of both worlds. Both keyboards excel in different areas, work in those areas. One keyboard waiting while playing the other, great. Big Band song to a contemporary song, wow that sounds so good.

John C.

#66683 - 03/12/08 02:01 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Greetings, everyone!

Thank you for your suggestions, your thoughts and the way you have your KN7000 set up. I will try to respond to all statements that I have not already responded to.

John C, you state: “Work as the keyboard was designed to work, add your ideas to the system. If you invent a way contrary to the keyboard’s design you will have problems that can not be solved.” I think I pretty much keep to the keyboard’s design. Keep in mind that one of the defaults in saving is not ALL PANEL MEMORY but only PANEL MEMORY 3 BANKS. Since you don’t have a KN7000 to know this, you have to select ALL PANEL MEMORY to save it. I only save the default setting, PANEL MEMORY 3 BANKS because that is all that I need on a sequenced song since the song was done in PANEL MEMORY A. I do not want to save ALL PANEL MEMORY because that would also be a problem as is SOUND MEMORY changing. When I have my 10 banks of panel memories set up, I do not want any changes down the line unless I purposefully make changes, either from adding new sounds or outright adjustments to the panel settings. I want to always rely on their being as I have set them. Saving them each time I do a new sequenced song has the strong possibility of the panel memories being changed. If I make any changes in the 10 banks of panel memories, with a permanent setting in mind, I save them to ALL PANEL MEMORY on the SD card. The same goes with SOUND MEMORY. Even though one of the defaults in saving includes SOUND MEMORY, I still can’t see how this wouldn’t be a problem bringing up another sequenced song done much later with added sounds used in SOUND MEMORY. I mention this by the possibility of playing live right after playing a sequenced song.

Everyone keeps saying that the SD card loads fast. I am quite aware of this. You tell me how to play live with the LATEST SOUNDS I have created and are supposed to be in my LATEST Panel Memories when I have just played a sequenced song done say, a year ago with old Sound Memory settings that were saved on the sequenced song? I would have to immediately go to my SD card and load a file with ALL PANEL MEMORY, SOUND MEMORY and everything else in that file. Had I not done this, I would not have the latest created sounds – I would have only the old sounds when I did the sequenced number. Yes, the sequenced song would play correctly from the old sound memories that were saved but what about my new additional sounds that I have created? The only way to get them is to load them up from the SD card. Though this may take a few seconds to load, I have to find the file to load it. Anxiously wanting to play live, I CAN’T because I have to be concerned about whether or not the sounds and panel memories are set correctly. It becomes a never-ending battle with having to use the SD card. One could get very paranoid unless they downloaded continually. I’ll discuss FAVORITES later.

John, I do not have a problem with CUSTOM STYLES. The custom styles that I mainly keep in the keyboard are very select and cover most of the music styles that I play so I am not loading CUSTOM STYLES.

I have not had a problem with Panel Memories changing until I tried this CUSTOM PANEL SETTING. From my understanding how this works, I still don’t know why it changed all the Panel Memories in RIGHT2 only. How come it didn’t change RIGHT1 and why were all the changes made to BIG BAND BRASS, which I had not used when I made the setting? No one has addressed this when it was the original question.

Bob H, we have discussed putting styles in COMPOSER and doing a sequenced song from there. There are valid points to doing this and they are: One has a choice of 12 variations versus only 4 variations by using a style from CUSTOM STYLE. What I don’t like about using COMPOSER in this way is because, as we know, it is a temporary file. I personally feel more comfortable with getting my style from a permanent setting in the keyboard, which is CUSTOM STYLE. The keyboard has COMPOSER set up as a default and anything you have put in it is lost as soon as the keyboard is turned off. Yes, when you save the sequenced song, COMPOSER should also be saved but what happens if you don’t save that file – you have nothing but the default playing back to your sequenced song. As many of you know, I am not fond of the styles in the keyboard. I personally can not use them. They are not professionally done to my standards. I work a great deal in COMPOSER and soon as I have done what I set out to do, the work goes into a CUSTOM STYLE file. To me, depending on a temporary file as COMPOSER for a later source in a sequenced song is scary. It certainly is ideal in sending a file to someone because the styles are in COMPOSER and don’t interfere with someone’s CUSTOM STYLES. There are pros and cons in the various ways we use the instrument.

Audrey, you are an old pro at using FAVORITES. I remember your speaking of this in the past. I have never taken the time to figure out how to use this feature. It really sounds ideal. If I remember correctly, the manual doesn't really give an easy step by step on using it.

Rmepstead, I only use SD SONG MEDLEY for listening to a file of songs that I have sequenced. You have lost me on this: “Incidentally I move custom styles as quickly as possible to Memory bank 'A' as Custom Style is liable to be altered by adding other custom styles!!!” I am unsure what you mean by doing this or how to do it.

I think I have responded to all that have responded to this posting. I thank each for your comments. I may be asking some dumb questions so prepare yourselves. I have always been more into playing and composing than learning some of the fine features the keyboard offers. One of the things I don’t have to be concerned with is that I never take music on a job. It’s all in my head and I might add, I have a large repertoire.

All the best,

Scott

#66684 - 03/12/08 03:31 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

My command of the English language is obviously inadequate. Maybe one of you other folks can get through . . .

#66685 - 03/12/08 05:06 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Scott,

I have two thoughts on your predicament:-

1) When these changes occur, it might be worth checking the original settings to see whether the Rt.2 was switched to 'ON'
If so, try switching it 'Off', re-save then do a reload and see if it happens again.

2) As it is so important for your work, if I were you I would save everything to the Music Stylist which as you know cannot be overwritten unless you choose to do so.

When I had my KN6000 because it was an 'iffy' keyboard, I did this everytime I had a 'gig' saving all my tunes and/or their variations to a 'named' designated slot. Once you've loaded the MS page, you then have 80 sets which with the Music Style Arranger 'ON' will instantly change forward or back using the Fill-in 1 or Fill-in 2 buttons, or better still, using a Foot Controller.

I know I keep referring to the SD Favourite Songs but it really makes life that much easier. There are 40 Banks with 9 slots to each, totalling 360 places to save all your settings in any order you wish and if you go to 'SD Preferences', here you can choose how they are shown e.g.

1st-SD Play Priority: SOUND or AUDIO.
2nd-Song Select Method: FOLDER, ALPHABET,
NUMBER or SD-SOUND LOAD.

I hope you soon find a solution to your problem and when you do, would you please post it on this Forum as I, and many others I am sure, would be very interested in how your solved it.

Good luck! - Audrey

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online