SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66579 - 02/20/08 04:17 PM Style Sorting
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have such a large collection of floppies and SD Cards both professional and self-made I am thinking it would be great to have them sorted in styles i.e: Ballad, Country, Swing, etc. I have one or two ideas on how to go about this but as I usually end up doing things the "hard way" I was wondering whether anyone knows if this has already been done and if so, is the list available to the public or, perhaps you know of an easy/quick way of doing this.

At the moment, I favour using Word because I know from my Music Index, it can sort any amount of data very quickly, but as I say, you may know of something even better?

Thanks in advance.

Audrey

#66580 - 02/21/08 05:03 AM Re: Style Sorting
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
I have a SD is set up by category, BB, Waltz, Ballad and so on. You could do the same loading the floppies in your computer and use Fred's 7000 Explorer.

Fran in SC

#66581 - 02/21/08 04:04 PM Re: Style Sorting
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Fran,

Yes you are right! this is the first thing I thought of. I have quite a few SD cards all full with the exception of the one I'm using at the moment, about half are professional settings and the rest are my own. The KN SD Explorer Tool has already sorted each into alphabetical order and I was thinking the next step would be to copy these to a desktop file, save to Word, convert to a table so that I can also list details of the SD Cards in a separate column (for ease of use when looking for a particular style), then get Word to sort again using 'paragraph' field 1, and it should result in an Index of the whole lot showing me the name, number of the SD Card and where it is filed . However, this can be a bit time consuming and I was just wondering if anyone knew of an easier way.

Thanks for your reply. When I get around to doing it, I'll let you know the result.

Audrey

#66582 - 02/21/08 05:57 PM Re: Style Sorting
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Audrey, after organizing the SD card, I print the contents of the SD card to a file using SD Explorer. Then I put that text file into Word and edit it so that I get ten folder names with their 20 song name contents on a single page. Then I print the results and refer to that list when I am looking for a new style or common type styles that I might mix in the Composer.

#66583 - 02/22/08 02:13 AM Re: Style Sorting
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Audrey – I have most of my music listed in Excel spreadsheet format. This, at the moment, consists of two columns, namely, 1st column name of song, 2nd column, in which music book/location of music. This method could easily be extended to 3 columns so that each line/music sheet showed type of music or style, e.g. Ballad, Swing, or four columns so that you can also indicate which SD card the Style/setting is on.

If your Word listing is in Table format then you can do the same with yours. IF not, but you have tabbed it into two columns then this can easily be converted into a Table format or into Excel and this will also work to extend another column(s) to include style whatever. Other players may have used database software to do this.

The beauty of putting this sort of list into Word table, spreadsheet or database format is that the same list can be sorted into any order you want by sorting, column 1 or 2 etc. I have not categorized my own listing into Ballads/Swing/Latin etc. otherwise I would let you have it.

Lets assume that you do this. Would you be thinking of putting your music folders into that type of order? I have tried various methods of storing, alphabetical, type of song etc. All have things to recommend them – at least if you have them in alphabetical order, you know which folder to look in. Of course, if you had a Music Pad Pro!!!. You have to input all the music sheets on it – no quick and easy task, then make yourself Playlists selecting the same song in very many different lists etc., Now that is another option.

The truth is – there is no quick method!!! From your question you are obviously thinking on the right lines.

Audrey – unless someone can pass over a similar list in Word to you that you can adapt to your system, then as you have obviously managed with your method so far - I would suggest you stick with what you are familiar with!!!

I can convert your Word Lists into Excel for you if it would help you – please let me know

Good Luck with whatever you do - Joan

#66584 - 02/22/08 02:31 PM Re: Style Sorting
Audrey Turner Offline

Thankyou Bob and Joan for your input on this posting.

Joan, you may recall I had some of my music at the Cambs Convention. This was indexed in much the same way as you suggest but I use Word 'Table'. I started doing it this way many years ago before Excel was intro-duced so it has become "second nature" to me. A bonus using Word 'Table' is that you can ask the PC to find any Song Title, go to any Page, Sort any Songs and/or Pages in any order you like. I know Excel is a great programme and has a few more professional features to offer but basically, it operates in much the same way as the Word Table so, as you say it's probably best to stick with the system I am used to.

However, although I have all the SD Cards sorted and indexed (I used the KN SD Explorer Tool for this), these are listed under the number of the card and my chosen name. e.g. SDGB5 - Joan Banfield's Work (01)-20.06.2006. What I would like to do now is collate all the data (files & songs) as one large document, sort it in alphabetical order which will then put all the Ballads, Country, Folk etc., together making it easier when looking for a particular style for a specific song.

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd be glad to know of them.

Before closing, I heard you were feeling quite poorly a few weeks ago. I hope you are fully recovered now.

Thank you all again.

Audrey

#66585 - 02/23/08 06:53 AM Re: Style Sorting
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
All of this sorting, catagorizing, and labeling of titles and styles in computers sounds great! I have certainly thought about doing the same and am now inspired to follow your leads eventually.

This thread is now printed out for future reference like so many other great ideas that are available here at the SZ forum.

I've just received a Music Pad Pro Plus in which to load many 3 ring binders filled to overflowing with music all in Alpha order. The two CD's are loaded into my computer and some of the "Users Manual" is printed out. Planning ahead to doing what you have described herein seems rather far down the road right now. The MPP+ seems a long term and daunting task!

The Word and Excel programs you describe as useful are unknowns to me. I do know they are computer programs and I intend to look into their structures and go from there with the catagorizing of music as I am able.

I do not have Fred's program beyond the introductory download. That it might be beneficial as well seems likely, but I wonder if in view of the possibility of the Excel and Word programs, it too would be equally useful? Opinions?

JOAN... Some time ago along with an SD of your music you sent a hard copy listing of the music on the SD card. Is that list from Fred's program or possibly from the Excel or another program? It is very useful as I work with your music.

At this point I have nothing to contribute to this thread beyond my appreciation and thanks to all of you who have contributed.

Thank you so much.

ELIZABETH

#66586 - 02/23/08 01:29 PM Re: Style Sorting
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Congrats on the MPP+ Elizabeth. It may not help you with organizing your SD cards, but I write the number, or whatever source system you have, on the MPP screen with the "annotation toolbar". That way you can bring up the music and immediately load your registration from SD
Bernie

#66587 - 02/23/08 01:51 PM Re: Style Sorting
Bob Hendershot Offline

I also write the SD card memory location on the music sheet that is displayed on my MPP's. Then I load the KN7000 by number. You will love the MPP, Elizabeth. . . But not until you go through all the work of transfering your files to MPP format. If you need help let us know.

#66588 - 02/23/08 06:00 PM Re: Style Sorting
etwo4788 Offline

BOB & BERNIE....

Thanks for the encouragement with the MPP+!
Most likely I will need lots of help! Probably by the time I get my music loaded to the machine my computer and I will be a lot more compatible!

Just about all of my music sheets have notations about which Panel Memory I will find the style/registration I want for each piece in either the KN6000 or the 7K PM...

Usually I use whatever SD card is most recently in use for my gig & at home play. I have reached the point where I need some way to know what is on each of several SD cards additionally.

Maybe if there is enough room in the MPP to store these types of records, that would be even more helpful than the computer files as I don't want to permanently leave my 7K and my computer connected...

One question that has been floating around in my head about the MPP.... Does it connect via USB to the 7K for power when in use or just to an AC outlet? I know it has 12volt source which most likely I will not use very often, maybe never.

When I feel the urge to change a registration and maybe tweak the style as well, I just go ahead and do it! Tomorrow I may not like it all that well and change it again. I have finally reached the "habit" of saving to a new folder on the SD card when making several changes in one sitting... usually the date and something silly to remind me what might be new in the programs.

What you are describing here seems appropriate for all these things we want to stay in touch with!

This is definitely Virgo type work! How many of you are good little Virgo people like me? You know, B'day between August 20 and Sept 20? Attention to detail and data gatherers and sorters as well as "Nit pickers"????

Astrology is a language very much like music, lots of data to sort and make into harmonious patterns! It is fun too!

ELIZABETH

#66589 - 02/24/08 03:08 AM Re: Style Sorting
Bernie9 Offline

Elizabeth
The connecton to the pc is only for downloading upgrades in the MPP and transferring Freehand files that are scanned and converted in the pc. The power to the MPP is AC or battery.

In reference to swapping file locations. I keep track of changing locations on the SD card with Fred Melinks program, by putting the card in a reader and saving and printing the index(listed as an option in the menu). However, with the thumb drive for your MPP, or internal memory, be careful about making playlists then changing the location of the source. The MPP will not be able to find it, and you will have to build new playlists. This can be done easily enough, but try to get organised beforehand to prevent too much swapping.
Bernie

#66590 - 02/24/08 10:35 AM Re: Style Sorting
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Elizabeth - Yes, the index of the SD card I sent you of my recordings was generated by using one of the features of the excellent SD Explorer program.

So you have now received your MPP - you wrote me last month and told me you were buying a used Music Pad Pro and had asked the seller to leave you some music sheets on it.

What software version issue is it loaded with. You can tell this if when you turn on the MPP, after loading you finish up with a page with the logo of the Freehand Systems with 3 lines of information at the bottom of the screen. The top line of these three tells you what software release it is.

Mine reads

Music Pad Pro 4.0.6
Copyright @ 2001 etc.,
etc.,

I believe that there has recently been an upgrade released. I am quite happy with my version and do not know what "enhancements" etc., the latest version has.

The reason I am asking this as I think earlier versions of software levels may not read later version of music from other Pads.

Bernie or Bob - do you know what enhancements this has and if it is worth upgrading.

Can't recommend the manual!!!

I had a terrific amount of help and support from Johnnie Barr in the initial stages and indeed since and consider him a friend and real treasure. Bob Hendershot also, who had just undergone major surgery about the time I acquired my MPP has also been most helpful and generous with his tips, music and encouragement. Without this forum we would never have "met".....

Good luck Elizabeth with your new toy.

Email me and let me know how you are getting on and if I can help you then I will - Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 02-24-2008).]

#66591 - 02/24/08 10:44 AM Re: Style Sorting
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Elizabeth,

I think Bernie is right to suggest you get organised BEDFORE making your Playlists and the KN SD Explorer Tool would be the easiest and quickest way to get all your SD Cards sorted BUT, the downside is I don't think you can purchase this now as Fred gave up the production sometime ago.

However, if I were you I would check with him first, he may be able to help. The email address I have for him in my address book is:-

f.mellink@chello.nl

It's worth a try as it will save you hours of work.

Good luck!

Audrey

#66592 - 02/24/08 12:58 PM Re: Style Sorting
Bob Hendershot Offline

Hi Joan,

The latest software for the MPP is 4.0.10. It is a big improvement over the version that you have. Several bugs were solved as well as improvements in file transfers. The software now works with Windows Vista.
Scroll bars were made much larger so that it is much easier to find stuff when you are using the browser. File importing to the MPP now includes a "deskew" function to help solve problems with scans that are not perfectly aligned (maximum correction of 2 degrees). It is well worth the upgrade.

Elizabeth, I will be in touch by email. I think we've managed to get this thread off on a tangent from it's original intent.

#66593 - 02/24/08 01:19 PM Re: Style Sorting
etwo4788 Offline

JOAN.... The software is 3.1.3

#66594 - 02/24/08 01:32 PM Re: Style Sorting
etwo4788 Offline

That reply prematurely posted!

Joan... to complete what I wanted to tell you. I went to Fred's site to check on the SDEXPLORER. I will contact him to see if the program is still available... to work with in the sorting stages.

AUDREY.... Thanks for the "heads-up." I had determined that getting Fred's program will be a good idea.... Thanks for his email..

BOB H. Thanks for the info on the newer download to the MPP program....You are correct, I did alter the focus here on this thread... (I sent you an email this morning.)

To let you all know... Fooling with the MPP attached to computer this morning and reading in the pages I have printed out of the Users Manual, I was able to see the music loaded by the former owner. I even sat with it in front of me and played some of Ron Pierce's tunes! Getting used to picking up the stylus and putting that on the MPP that wobbles on my 7K stand, is a lot more trouble than just moving my eyes to the top of the next page in the 3 ring binders! I will have to figure out some way to stablize that sucker!

Back to the SD card sorting focus???
Sorry I intruded Audrey.

ELIZABETH

#66595 - 02/24/08 04:04 PM Re: Style Sorting
Audrey Turner Offline

You did not intrude Elizabeth. That's what this site is all about, helping one another and your MPP is just another method of organising the mountains of music most of us have. I was aking for other thoughts on this subject and this is another idea.

Thank you all for your input.

Audrey

#66596 - 03/04/08 03:07 PM Re: Style Sorting
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Quote:

Hello Elizabeth,

I think Bernie is right to suggest you get organised BEDFORE making your Playlists and the KN SD Explorer Tool would be the easiest and quickest way to get all your SD Cards sorted BUT, the downside is I don't think you can purchase this now as Fred gave up the production sometime ago.

However, if I were you I would check with him first, he may be able to help. The email address I have for him in my address book is:-

f.mellink@chello.nl

It's worth a try as it will save you hours of work.

Good luck!

Audrey

Hi Audrey and all other members,

As long as there are KN7000 and KN2600's around I have KN-SDExplorer available. You can read all information via http://www.vision-4-life.nl/SDExplorer.htm

Regards, Fred

webmaster www.zending-amazones.nl
advocate www.compassion.com

#66597 - 03/05/08 08:42 PM Re: Style Sorting
Adam Glinka Offline

Loc: Des Plaines,Illinois USA
I wish there would be more talk about MUSIC and PLAYING instead of all this technical bla bla..
This forum is getting really boring.

#66598 - 03/06/08 01:26 AM Re: Style Sorting
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Adam
Why don't you post a topic or question on something you would be interested in ? I am sure there are members that would respond.

Bernie

#66599 - 03/06/08 04:16 AM Re: Style Sorting
Fran D Offline

Came across this article "Organizing Your Styles" by Scott Langholff that could be helpful. Speaks of Tyros but would apply to 7000.

Fran in SC

#66600 - 03/06/08 04:46 AM Re: Style Sorting
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Specially for Adam....
Music:

Playing:

#66601 - 03/06/08 05:30 PM Re: Style Sorting
Adam Glinka Offline

Loc: Des Plaines,Illinois USA
For Mapstead

Your reply shows exactly how much you know about music and playing.
Happy bloging

#66602 - 03/07/08 03:55 AM Re: Style Sorting
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I'll let my many American friends advise you on that one Adam - I'm from the UK and have attended a number of the Keyboard Conventions in Florida and California.
Yours politely...
Roger M www.keyboardplayerextraordinaire.co.uk

#66603 - 03/07/08 04:41 AM Re: Style Sorting
Fran D Offline

Mr Glinka,

The content of threads has been enjoyed by our members for many years. We welcome you to join our group but if the discussions are not to your liking, there are many other forums on the internet.

Cheers,

Fran in SC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online