SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66308 - 01/13/08 03:21 PM SD-Jukebox Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I am using SD-Jukebox for the first time and find it the most frustrating piece of software I have ever used
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with this program? (Version 2.4 as supplied with the SZ-CB7 Kit)

Example : I compiled 8 MP3s from Audio files on my PC, following the procedures in Alec's book. Having completed the procedures, the files played OK in my KN7000. However, when I tried to add another MP3 to the existing Playlist, using the same procedures, at the end of the 'Check-Out' process, the Microsoft 'Apology' Error window appeared asking if I wished to report the error to MS (which I declined) and the program terminated. Strangely enough, when I placed the SD Card in my KN7000, the added MP3 file played perfectly!!

Example 2 : If I try to rename the Playlist (Not the Default one) using the 'Settings'
facility in the 'List' window, no matter what name I enter in the 'Playlist' name window, I am told that it is an 'Illegal Input' and to 'Enter between 1 and 30 characters'. Even the original playlist name is rejected !! Renaming and changing the order of the MP3s in the 'List' window works OK

Example 3 : In the 'Settings' window, there is an option to set the 'Mute Time' to any value between 1 and 10 seconds. No matter what value I set in this window, for the selected Playlist and click on 'Apply' and then 'OK', when the MP3 files are played in my KN7000, the interval between the track is always about 1 second. I need the interval to be 8 seconds for my specific application.

I could go on about more bugs in this program...........

I tried the program with the same MP3 files on two different PCs and the results are just the same.

I really need a solution to the 'Mute Time' problem since I am in the process of compiling a set of MP3s for use in my KN7000, for a theatrical production this coming Wednesday.

Can anyone help? Are you there Alec ?

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66309 - 01/14/08 04:08 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
technicsplayer Offline

1 adding a track to an existing playlist - no problem on my XP SP2 laptop.

2 checkout to default playlist name on SD (eg playlist1), then rename playlist to something else - as above again no problem, new name shows up in the 7k fine.

3 is simple, the mute time setting is in the general setting for jukebox, and thus applies to jukebox playback on the pc and thus nothing to do with sd playback in the 7k.

#66310 - 01/14/08 04:16 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
technicsplayer Offline

ps there was an official upgrade to version L35 for Jukebox 2.4, but I have no idea what difference it made since installed it virtually from the beginning.

#66311 - 01/14/08 05:23 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for your prompt reply Alec - much appreciated

Problem 1. Tried again several times to add another MP3 to an existing Playlist - same problem - creates Error message but the added MP3 apparently plays OK!

Problem 2. So is it not possible to just change the Playlist name in the 'List' window - the program infers that it can do so, since the facility is present after Right clicking the Playlist name.

Problem 3. No mention within the program 'Help' document, about the 'Mute Time' being restricted to playback on PC only. Panasonic documentation not so good again.......?
However, I have solved the problem by editing the MP3 files to add 8 Seconds of silence at the end of the files and this produces the desired effect

Thanks for your time Alec..........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#66312 - 01/14/08 06:46 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
technicsplayer Offline

you're welcome.

for mute time, everything in that general settings program dialogue pane is for pc jukebox functions.

as before 2 is possible in the list right click, the re-named playlist shows up fine in both jukebox and the 7k.

If for some unknown reason it does not work on your system, assuming none of the songs are in other playlists, I would check in all the songs from that playlist, the playlist then disappears, then check them out again with the new playlist name in the check out list to be created dialogue?

#66313 - 01/14/08 08:27 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks Again Alec I'll have another look at that when I have time ..............

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley

#66314 - 01/14/08 03:37 PM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Bill,

Now you know why I never use Jukebox. It's too much of a 'hassle'.

Hello Alec,

When I had the first KN I had to install the first floppy and then an 'update' floppy.
Would this be anything to do with a Jukebox update do you think?

When I acquired my second KN7 it also came with 2/3 floppies still in their sealed packing... Do you think they would be of help to Bill? If so I'd be happy to send copies on to him.

Audrey

#66315 - 01/15/08 03:04 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Audrey,

I totally agree with you about the hassle involved with SD-Jukebox. Why we can't just copy MP3 files directly to an SD card, like I can with one of my MP3 players, is beyond me! To have to go through the SD Jukebox rigmarole is a real PAIN
I very much doubt if I will ever use it again - if I have the need to play MP3s again via my KN7000, I'll just connect my MP3 player to the KN7000 audio inputs.

Upgrading the KN7000 software will not help the problems, since they relate purely to the SD-Jukebox program.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.....

Aldous Huxley

#66316 - 01/15/08 04:03 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
technicsplayer Offline

The hassle is purely because sd was designed with digital rights management encoding to prevent copying and protect copyright owners. If the sd system would have taken off you would have seen many more professionally produced karaoke mp3s and midis on the market to suit. However not unnaturally drm is unpopular with customers and anyway beaten in the marketplace by Apples protected itunes system which virtually took over the world.

Nevertheless I have a large card full of Sunfly karaoke dvds and playing along to a cd quality recording of the original backing arrangement exactly as on the original song minus the vocal quantum beats any keyboard style hands down. Particularly since you can synchronise the sequencer to the audio and multitrack.

As I've said many times just treat Jukebox as transfer program to get audio on the card and it is quite bearable for the gains involved.

#66317 - 01/15/08 06:35 AM Re: SD-Jukebox Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for your further comments Alec
It looks like DRM is virtually a Dead Duck now, according to an article I read this morning...........

I don't normally use MP3 files with my KN7000 - preferring to play everything as 'Live' as possible, but this particular theatrical application required a few original arrangements so I though it might be an opportunity to use the Audio Play facility, but as I said above, I won't bother again......Too much hassle

Cheers!

Aldous Huxley

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online