SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66079 - 11/29/07 04:01 PM It's been a long time......
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
I just don't get in here enough, lol. Hope everyone in the States had a Happy Thanksgiving. Just wanted to let you all in on a new musical project I'm doing. I've hooked up with 4 other musicians, all solid pro's with at least 30 years experience each. We're putting together an "Elvis Tribute Show" based on the Elvis 1970 Las Vegas show called "Elvis - That's The Way It Was". It'll be done totally live, nothing pre-recorded, no sequences etc. As we assemble this, I'm finding that there was one heckuva horn section used throughout the show. So far, I've been using the "pop trumpets" KN7000 sound for these accents. Just wondered if anyone had something that they felt would be better regarding a trumpet/horn section sound?? If you do, I'd love to have it. BTW, if anyone would like to hear our "Elvis" (his name is Scott Norton) he has a website that's worth a listen, here's the link: http://www.scottelvisnorton.com/ I'm "guesstimating" that we are about 3 rehearsals away from taking this puppy on the road...I'll keep you posted.
Jim Helwig

#66080 - 11/30/07 02:04 AM Re: It's been a long time......
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hey Jim
Nice to see here. The project sounds exciting,and in viewing Scott's website, I can see that it is a pro venture.

Best of luck to you
Bernie

#66081 - 11/30/07 02:23 AM Re: It's been a long time......
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Good luck with 'A little less conversation' - don't get those fingers of yours all twisted up...Seriously though great news Jim.
Rog

#66082 - 11/30/07 05:11 AM Re: It's been a long time......
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Best of luck Jim. Keep us posted on the progress.

Maybe your group could perform at the March Keyboard Convention

Fran in SC

#66083 - 11/30/07 04:56 PM Re: It's been a long time......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sounds like a WINNER !!! Best Wishes for a successful future...
.... Also sounds like a lot of music to be made be 5 piece group with no 'pre-recorded' ... what is the instrumentation?
t.

#66084 - 11/30/07 07:55 PM Re: It's been a long time......
Jim Helwig Offline

Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. Standard instrumentation is being used. Lead and Bass guitars, drums, and me on keys, and of course, "Elvis". It'd be impossible to capture every musical "nuance" with just the 4 of us, however, remember that what we're attempting to copy is something that was done in 1970. Some of the songs from that show featured just guitars and drums (Elvis may have been attempting to duplicate the original recordings). On songs that require piano, strings, horns or orchaestra, that's why I'm there, lol. So far, most of the songs really sound pretty good with just the 4 of us. The actual 1970 show can be gotten on either DVD or tape, and it's called "Elvis - That's The Way It Was". It's a documentary on how the show was assembled, with the actual show included. That's what we're working off of regarding the music and the parts.
Jim Helwig

#66085 - 12/01/07 06:56 AM Re: It's been a long time......
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
JIM..... Last night on ABC's 20/20 program (here in S.E. NM) A "Copy-cat" piece was featured showing "young musicians" who are making BIG money by copying some of the "Greats" who are now very old or dead.

One older fellow from a group of singers was seen protesting at a copy-cat performance of his old/gone singing group...He wanted them to stop & give him what he called, "his money."

The piece also pointed out that in some areas of the U.S. it is illegal to impersonate past performing artists for profit or not for profit.

How does your group intend to deal with this perspective/possibility?

Personally, I really don't object at all....I think it is great fun to attempt to produce music on my 7K that sounds as much like what my old records produced as I can recall.

I went to the "Elvis" site & looked at the pictures....my sound system is not currently up & running....

Best wishes...... ELIZABETH

#66086 - 12/02/07 11:41 AM Re: It's been a long time......
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Good Luck Jim.
I'm sure it will be a great show.
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66087 - 12/02/07 12:10 PM Re: It's been a long time......
Jim Helwig Offline

There are several "legalities" involved with any type of professional entertainment. Regarding our Elvis show, that's the reason we call it an "Elvis Tribute Show". That circumvents many of the issues. Depending on the State/City, it's possible that could have to pay a nightly ASCAP fee, which doesn't amount to much. It would be vitually impossible for all the governing authorities involved to enforce the different rules and reg's...it's been tried and defeated many times by simply invoking the "free speech" clause. I doubt that we'll ever get that "big" to really worry about those things, but if we do, we'll deal with it. BTW, in my original post, I mentioned wondering if anyone had a really kick-a** trumpet/horn section sound that they'd be willing to share that they felt was better than the "pop trumpets" I've been using. Anyone with anything?
Jim H.

#66088 - 12/02/07 02:31 PM Re: It's been a long time......
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Jim,

I wouldn't worry about the 'legalities'

They won't 'ban' you for Elvis songs, as some have been banned for Christmas songs. (inside joke)

Thank You...Thank You Very Much

Larry

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online