SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#65892 - 02/14/03 03:45 AM Single CST and long names
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
Hi All

I have moved from KN2000 to KN7000 so the leap in technology is quite daunting. What I
am trying to do is save each of the single styles from the custom rhythm section to floppy but don't seem to be able to save as long name (16 Characters). I want to save to floppy as .CST so I can include this in with all the style downloads from technics web to
create groups on PC of same styles and then copy groups to floppy the save in KN7000 SD card. I will have same problem on downloaded styles with saving as long name as some downloads have names like 013 KN65.cst.
Any help would be very much appreciated

Best regards
Tony Looker
Essex Uk

#65893 - 02/14/03 06:24 AM Re: Single CST and long names
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Tony, The Floppy Disc filing system does not support long filenames. You are restricted to the normal 8 character filenames. It is only after you have loaded the .CST files into the KN7000, from the Floppy Disc, that you can save them with long filenames, to the SD Card. All the .CST files on the KN7000 web site, have the 8 character filename, since the method of transfer to KN7000 is via Floppy Disc.
Manipulation of files with long filenames, to and from PC, via the Card Reader USB link, has just been made possible, by using a program provided by our friend Thomas.(thkmcs) It is in it's early stages at present and I understand that improvements and additions are currently being considered.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 02-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 02-16-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#65894 - 02/14/03 08:00 AM Re: Single CST and long names
tonykn7000 Offline

Thanks very much for that info.
But I still think I am a bit lost ??
After saving to floppy with short names as advised what is the easiest way to save contents of floppy on SD card with long names
as I tried that but still seemed to get lost
on long names. Can I copy disk to SD then add long names or add each .CST then add long
names

Best regards
Tony Looker
Essex uk

#65895 - 02/14/03 02:05 PM Re: Single CST and long names
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Tony,

Unless I am mistaken there seems to be some misunderstanding here. As I understand it individual Custom Style files (*.CST) cannot be saved with long file names. In fact all files as actually saved to the SD card only have 8 character names. When you assign a long name to a song file the KN7000 assigns it's own file name (8 characters only) to the actual saved file and stores this actual name and your long file name in an INF file
(similarly for folder names). When you recall the file listing on the KN7000 it uses the this INF file to display the name you allocated so that when using the KN you only ever see the files under the name you allocated (up to 16 characters). If you look at the same files on you computer using a card reader you will only see the names under which the KN saved them and these will bear no resemblance to the name you allocated. e.g. You might save song No. 1 as "My Way" in folder No. 1 which you have called "Tony's Songs". If you then look at these files on your PC using a card reader you will find that file No. 1 is actually named 01001KN7 and is in folder No. 1 which is actually named TFLD001. Very confusing I know. Our friend Thomas in Germany is doing a magnificent job developing some software (SD Card Tool) to make this easier to use.
This process applies to all files used in the normal Load and Save process. It does not apply to files which use the Custom Style Load/Save process (*.CST files). They are saved directly as you name them (8 characters max).
Note All Style files (*.AST) containing up to 20 individual styles can be saved with long file names alternatively if you have 3 or less styles pertaining to a particular song that you wish to save with long files names you can copy them to Memories A. B & C and save them as a composer file (*.CMP)
Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Len C.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 02-14-2003).]

#65896 - 02/16/03 09:07 AM Re: Single CST and long names
tonykn7000 Offline

I have now finally got my head around this and now coping the downloads to SD

I would like to say thanks for all the help and advise which has gone a long way in helping me get to understand the KN7000

Tony Looker
Essex UK

#65897 - 02/17/03 10:18 AM Re: Single CST and long names
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
Hi Tony,
I also created groups of styles to save on SD. I did this the way thatt Rikkibears suggested on this forum:
-download all .cst styles from the Technics site
-rename the styles with the kind of style as give under the corresponding info button on the site.
-grouping the styles on PC by creating folders, like: 16BtBallad, 60's, etc.
-create an excell sheet giving an overview per group of stylename and position in KN7 custom memory that I want to copy to.
-copy groups to floppy.
-load each .cst from floppy into kn7 custom on the position in custom memory.
-after having loaded the complete group, save to SD as .ast (all custom style).

In this way I have created over 40 groups of styles eachj containing 8 to 20 styles which can be loaded in one time.

I have had a lot of work renaming all the .cst styles and creating the excell sheet. This is not necessary if you have the relation between original name and the kind of style, e.g. 013 KN65 is a Pop style.
For this you can use the excell sheet which I will mail to you together with a sample of an .ast file, this will probably make things more clearly. Check your mailbox.
Best regards,
Bert

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online