SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65819 - 04/10/03 01:06 PM Chord Instruction/Discussions
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi to All,

The discussion of chords was well received by many of you. There seems to be a lot of interest in what makes music tick, especially for those who have not had any formal music theory training. Bebop has asked me to continue the theme of the threads initiated by "Lrngkybrd" and "KN6Guy" which generated so many positive responses.

I have given thought to the matter and am proposing that two threads (rather than one) would be appropriate. One would deal with chord voicings, the other with chord progressions. Let me hear from you if you are interested in these topics. If there is enough interest, I will prepare some material, initiate the two threads to get the ball rolling, then all of you who want to participate can contribute as well. Please let me have your thoughts regarding this potential project.

Thanks.

Chuck

#65820 - 04/10/03 01:38 PM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chuck,
I for one, think it would be a great idea. I'm fairly good at working out the technical side of the keyboard, but when it comes down to the musical side of things, my music theory & playing skills are sadly lacking.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
Hi to All,

The discussion of chords was well received by many of you. There seems to be a lot of interest in what makes music tick, especially for those who have not had any formal music theory training. Bebop has asked me to continue the theme of the threads initiated by "Lrngkybrd" and "KN6Guy" which generated so many positive responses.

I have given thought to the matter and am proposing that two threads (rather than one) would be appropriate. One would deal with chord voicings, the other with chord progressions. Let me hear from you if you are interested in these topics. If there is enough interest, I will prepare some material, initiate the two threads to get the ball rolling, then all of you who want to participate can contribute as well. Please let me have your thoughts regarding this potential project.

Thanks.

Chuck

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65821 - 04/10/03 03:50 PM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Chuck,
You know that I am interested from my previous posts. I am sure that there is more to learn, and what better way than to learn from each other. Some of us have theory and some practical experience and both are needed in the practical application of the keyboard. Like they say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat". If one way don't work for a particular person, then perhaps another will.
Go with it, Chuck!
Walt

#65822 - 04/10/03 04:12 PM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Who's going to be a busy boy then ? Guess the club swinging may have to take a bit of a back seat ( Spoils a good walk anyway )
Great Idea Chuck !! Being a total ear player, with no musical tuition, I'm sure I will learn something.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#65823 - 04/10/03 07:13 PM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi Chuck,

Your initiative together with other active (expert) participants will definitely benefit all and improve the level of music making / playing! I am looking forward to learning more from you all!

#65824 - 04/10/03 09:06 PM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey Chuck! Your idea sounds great and I look forward to seeing more on this subject here on the Forum. Some of you may know that I play mostly by ear; in class, my colleagues often ask me why I played a certain chord different from the one ion the music)and sometimes I have no idea! My only explanation is that I "hear" it in my head and my fingers just seem to fall on the right keys! So, along the way, after this thread gets started,I may even be able to contribute something to the thread(s), if I can analyze why, in some places, my head and fingers replace the chord that is in the original music score. One of the passions I have is the use of diminished chords, for example, and they sometimes appear in strange places as I play, but they always seem to sound "right" as they are resolved in the next measure or two. Looking forward to more on this idea of chord progressions, etc.

Ted

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 04-11-2003).]

#65825 - 04/11/03 04:49 AM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chuck,

Just what I need.

cheers,

Fran in Florida

#65826 - 04/11/03 05:34 AM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Dan Hanson Offline

Loc: Sumterville, Fl. USA
Hi Chuck,

Great idea! Chord progressions are of particular interest. Thanks!

Dan

#65827 - 04/11/03 06:41 AM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Lanny Offline

Loc: Placitas, NM USA
Chuck,
Both would be great topics for the forum. I also am particularly interested in the chord progression topic.
I am really looking forward to the new topics.
Thanks very much for the previous clear postings and for these great ideas.
Lanny

#65828 - 04/11/03 07:55 AM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Chuck . can't wait to see and hear what gets produced when you guys start running with this ...
As I've previously said, I'm pretty much a 'go by the book' guy ... I play what is written... but I KNOW there are better chords that can be played...
Ted Rose - I expect that 'ear' players like yourself would have a LOT to add, because you are not 'fenced in' by structured education, but have the ability to play what you hear in your head ... How I envy that ability ...
So, as a great man once said "let's roll"...
t.

#65829 - 04/11/03 10:24 AM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Yes Please Chuck!

Ogre

#65830 - 04/11/03 12:42 PM Re: Chord Instruction/Discussions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All.
No matter how you play or what you play the basis has to be and is, 'The Cycle of Fifths'. Most of the music you play or hear is made up from this structure.
Regards
Pete.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online