SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65807 - 01/27/02 12:10 PM Technics Format to Midi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could someone please help me? When I am trying to convert a Technics format recording into midi from the KN6000 itself. Is this possible? I have recorded the song into the sequencer but need to convert it to midi so I can put it into a homepage on the internet. If anyone has any suggestions I would be gratefully thankful.

------------------
Anne

#65808 - 01/27/02 12:31 PM Re: Technics Format to Midi
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Anne
Thank you for joining us in our new forum here. I can't remember if you have cakewalk or a similar software program but if you do, you can record it into the computer software and then edit it from there and save it as a midi file. It takes a fare amount of work, but it can be done. Perhaps someone here on our forum has a document already made up of directions for this, and will post it here or email it to you. If not, I will write you in more detail.
Best to you and yours from,

------------------
BEBOP
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://members.fortunecity.com/bebop1
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...=1000&SUBMIT=Go

#65809 - 01/27/02 05:19 PM Re: Technics Format to Midi
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
HI Anne
Thank you for joining us in our new forum here. I can't remember if you have cakewalk or a similar software program but if you do, you can record it into the computer software and then edit it from there and save it as a midi file. It takes a fare amount of work, but it can be done. Perhaps someone here on our forum has a document already made up of directions for this, and will post it here or email it to you. If not, I will write you in more detail.
Best to you and yours from,

Will you send me the instructions, too?

#65810 - 01/27/02 07:34 PM Re: Technics Format to Midi
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Larry Cohan wrote an article several years ago on this subject. It had the KN2000 keyboard in mind but may be of help. You can find a link to the article at item 23 on my KN5000 "How To" pages. Go to http://bobgrh.home.att.net and follow the instructions to Gunnar Jonny's site and then to the "How To" pages.

#65811 - 01/27/02 11:13 PM Re: Technics Format to Midi
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bob,
I remembered about a year (or two) ago when Larry, you, and I worked together to figure out how to record (via midi) the Technic's KN5000 auto accomp tracks into Cakewalk. I somehow remembered that we somehow figured out how to do this, but that that it proved to be very tricky and a very unreliable proposition at best. For some reason, along with of the midi data that gets sent from the KN5000 to Cakewalk was extraneous data (Sysex?), and that it somehow messed things up (adding strange notes, etc) to the data sent. After spending considerable time trying to resolve these issues, I think we finally GAVE UP on the whole idea of sending auto accomp midi data out from the KN5000. To this day, I'm curious to figure out if 'anyone here' has been able to succesfully transmit Technics KN5000 auto-accompaniment track data to/from Cakewalk via midi. Bob, I'm curious, what do you remember from all this? - Scott

#65812 - 01/28/02 01:58 AM Re: Technics Format to Midi
technicsplayer Offline

use the apc to smf convert function, save as smf with 1 measure header, and change the technics voices to gm.

I used to do the out of date method of playing into a computer sequencer, and had no great difficulty. It was easier if you switched after-touch off.
The only hassle was playing around with controllers trying to get the gm sound as good as the technics.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 01-28-2002).]

#65813 - 01/28/02 06:55 AM Re: Technics Format to Midi
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Anne
Don't forget that you can also send the Technics file for other Technics owners to listen to(without the need to convert to midi). For web sites, see posting 'Where??' on this forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Mitchell:
Could someone please help me? When I am trying to convert a Technics format recording into midi from the KN6000 itself. Is this possible? I have recorded the song into the sequencer but need to convert it to midi so I can put it into a homepage on the internet. If anyone has any suggestions I would be gratefully thankful.

#65814 - 01/28/02 08:33 AM Re: Technics Format to Midi
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Scott, Larry was the brains for all of that stuff we were doing. I didn't have much trouble creating the midi file. All of the notes were there OK. The problem is in trying to get an acceptable result. All of the voices including the rhythm stuff have to be converted to standard midi voices and an inordinate amount of editing is needed to get to an acceptable result that never seems to be as good as the original. That's why I decided to switch to all digital recording. And, I'm sure that's why you now put your stuff on your site in MP3 format. I only use midi to interconnect equipment now. Armando from the OBI (Organ Buddies International) group has done some excellent work converting music he plays on the Technics GA3 organ to midi.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 01-30-2002).]

#65815 - 01/28/02 09:07 AM Re: Technics Format to Midi
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bob, Thanks for refreshing my memory about our KN5000 to our PC sequencer project. Yes, many thanks go out to Larry Cohan for his excellent 'how to' documentation. Bob, as you stated, though it's possible to get the Technics auto accomp arranger parts exported to midi, it's difficult to get the exported midi file to match the the orginal KN auto accomp sound. I can only hope that on the current KN6500/6000 model keyboards, that the ACP to midi file conversions are able to better preserve the original KN auto accomp part sounds. It would be great to hear from KN6500/6000 owners about this.
- Scott

#65816 - 01/30/02 05:20 AM Re: Technics Format to Midi
technicsplayer Offline

no apc to smf convert method can 'preserve' sounds.

The fact that midis come out sounding so flat is because the gm sounds are very limited in specification compared to the technics panel sounds. That is why I explained you had to play around with controllers to get an acceptable result.

#65817 - 01/30/02 06:20 AM Re: Technics Format to Midi
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Quote:

Originally posted by Anne Mitchell:

it is possible to use auto rhythms to create
a midi file in cubase i did it with a techmics 2000, which i no longer have
everything recorded into cubase except the drums.if each track of bauto accompniament i is recorded into a seperate track one at a time then quantised it works well

#65818 - 01/30/02 02:21 PM Re: Technics Format to Midi
technicsplayer Offline

yes it will work fine if you follow the same steps as before with the advantage that the drums should be OK too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online