SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#65501 - 01/12/05 05:43 AM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi All,

First let me say that for me I agree with Audrey. I have always loved the piano and now that I have the PR54 I find I play it as a piano without all the bells and whistles more often than I did when I had the KN6000.

Over the years I've had several organs and I loved them all (though no Technics) but they were not pianos. As a non-professional I find that I don't always care if I sound great because I'm only playing for me anyway.

As for the declining sales of Organs and in many respects keyboards I believe that it has a lot more to do with the change in "music" than anything else. I do not feel that much of the music that young people listen to today is conducive to being played on ensemble type keyboards.

Organs especially sound great when playing grand instrumental but try to find a radio station that is playing any pop 40 instrumental music. When I was growing up I listened to pop 40 music but there were still plenty of instrumental songs included in that music. Songs like Telstar and others led people like me to want to play an organ and keyboards. It’s not much different than accordion music. I like to hear a good accordion player but there are not many left.

Midi music has also changed that way young people play music. Using low cost programs like Band-In-A-Box I can create an entire song and play it without ever touching an instrument or even knowing how to play one.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

#65502 - 01/12/05 06:24 AM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Dear Heather-Leesburg,

Hi! I am delighted to read your views about music, specifically your confirmation of Audrey's experience, and your mentioning of the ascendency of MIDI, music arranger and sequencer as an explanation for the decline of physical playing of music, and thus also of the global sales of musical instruments.

Like you, I sometimes play the PR604 (which is similar to the PR54) "as a piano without all the bells and whistles". However, when it is rather tempting to push some buttons, I can retreat to the more puritanical P50, the portable concert grand.

What strikes me as being quite strange is that Technics has not bothered to endow most if not all of the digital ensemble SX-PR series with performance pads that are commonly found on the newer SX-KN keyboards. Certainly, none of the organ series has them. I wonder who can provide a definitive answer to my observation. I suspect that it may have something to do with the chronology of introductions of these instruments ---- the newer ones inherit the new or extra feature(s).

Yes, songs like "Telstar" are very melodious and inspiring. Interestingly, I have played "Telstar" on the organ quite a few times in the past, but can't recall ever playing it on the piano.

Khai

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-12-2005).]

#65503 - 01/13/05 01:37 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
rotty Offline

Loc: england
Hi all,I have been playing for about 25 years in as an amateur starting with several organs then to several key boards,
mainly "Technics" and have owned 3 digital ensemble which I play now (pr604), the reason being is the true piano sound, the 88 notes to expand, weighted keys which allows you to put more feeling into the sound and play it as a pure piono or use all the accompliments etc for enancing your playing when you want use it, plus you don't have to split point for left and right hand accompliments. If you have the room - this is the one for me.This is of course in my opinion and that is all i'm saying what is best for me, but I understand everyone has what is right for them.I agree with Audrey Turner.

I note on the prevous posting from "khai" he mentioned he sometimes played the pr 604
could he help me please on my question posted 12/01/2005 "Lyrics with song manager"
regards and thanks Joe

#65504 - 01/13/05 03:50 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Dear Rotty,

It is a pity that someone else could not come to your rescue. I shall try to remember and look into it when I next visit my brother and his family, who acquired the PR604 at a really good price due to my contact with a friend and distributor as well as my persuasion to him that it is the preferred model over the other options. Since they have little experience, solving this problem for you will also help them. My brother is a very busy dermatologist and music lover who lives a fair distance away.

Khai

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online