SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65491 - 01/11/05 02:49 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Dear RMepstead, Roger Brandon Bradbury and Walt Meyer,

I know from first-hand experience that some people who already have or are still securing university education or degree(s) cannot even write, think or behave half as well as you do. So, a university education is no panacea. It is often up to the individual.

Strictly speaking, English is my fourth tongue or language. And I am hardly perfect, at least not all the time anyway.

Khai

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-12-2005).]

#65492 - 01/11/05 03:19 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Hi Walt,

Count to 200

Cheers Barry

#65493 - 01/11/05 03:21 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Khai,

You sure passed your typing ability
with honours.

Bazz

#65494 - 01/11/05 04:31 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi All,

I think you are all missing the point and that is if the organ, piano or keyboard is your first love, it will always be your first love. I have always played piano and over the years have played accoustic and electric pianos and I currently own a Technics PR900 electric piano which is still my favourite simply because all the 'gimmicks' can be switched off and the instrument played as a straight piano. I also have a KN7000 which never fails to amaze me whether played straight or with rhythms and I play it daily. However, now and again I get what I call "itchy fingers" and this is the time I play my piano straight (with great enjoyment I might add). Having said that, at every opportun-ity I will also play an accoustic piano simply because it is still my first love and I cannot resist the temptation to play it but I have to say, being very much an amateur,the keyboard make me sound "almost" and I repeat "almost" professional in comparison with the other instruments and has enabled me to make some near decent CD recordings which is also great fun to do.

I wonder whether there are others who agree with me on this?

Aud (U.K.)

#65495 - 01/11/05 06:40 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
yanuar-n Offline

Loc: manchester, uk
all,

IMHO, from perspective of political economy, the disappearing (in whatever senses) of organs and the emerging (again, in whatever ways) of keyboards, has the similar trend (and nicely coincides!)with the disappearing of community markets and the emerging supermarkets, or the same case with local restaurants and fast-food, or the likes --- in short, the 'instant' has taken over what used to exist.

this does not inherently mean bad, nor good. it depends on how we are aware and sensitive how power is involved.

as some people say that organs will never be totally replaced by keyboards, it is also true with 'market' over 'supermarket' or 'ginger-lemonade' over 'coke'....

what i think i would definitely reject is that if the "another world is possible" is no longer applicable in music instrument industry...

cheers,
y

#65496 - 01/11/05 06:58 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Dear yanuar-n,

Perhaps you have studied political economy too. Thank you for your views, and I did not expect such a quick reply indeed.

Excuse my ignorance, what does IMHO stand for?

Khai

#65497 - 01/11/05 07:16 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Dear Audrey Turner,

Hi! Thank you for your insight.

Speaking of love, I feel that the order in which I fell in love with a particular (type of) musical instrument is not that important or influential to me. I always try to find ways to love it, understand it and work with/around it.

Having said that, I like the keyboard, piano and organ (whether digital or acoustic) as long as any of them has touch sensitivity and the manual(s) is/are not too short. Therefore, I tend to feel rather restricted on the KN series (only in terms of what I can do physically, as previously explained in my earlier posts). Fortunately, I can get around this by connecting a full 88-key SX-P50 via MIDI port(s) to a KN keyboard so that I have room for both hands to manoeuvre, especially after applying the left/right split.

With respect to the central discussion in this thread, am I still one of the members who has been "missing the point", as you put it?

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-11-2005).]

#65498 - 01/11/05 08:45 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
I guess I have just one more comment for this thread, and that is: what actually IS the point of all this discussion? Can't we all get back to the real Forum issues and discussions about music, hints, ideas, suggestions, happy thoughts, etc. about our keyboards, organs, pianos, whatever instruments we prefer?! Or am I missing the point? If I want a philosophical discussion, perhaps I should go elsewhere; I don't think this is the place for antagonistic rhetoric. or, as I asked above, am I missing the point????

Enough said on my part!

Ted

#65499 - 01/11/05 09:47 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Dear Ted,

Hi! A member such as Audrey Turner was expressing her deep feelings for her musical instruments. And her views are legitimate and important. yanuar-n was providing his point of view on the decline of the organ from the "perspective of political economy" and "power" (which could be elaborated according to Foucaultian analysis). Other members provide their personal commentaries on certain aspects that they observed to be present in this topic.

Just take one for example. Read Audrey Turner's entire post carefully again and you will be able to verify for yourself that her post has qualified significantly for your own criteria: "the real Forum issues and discussions about music, hints, ideas, suggestions, happy thoughts, etc. about our keyboards, organs, pianos, whatever instruments we prefer".

Furthermore, if you would kindly review the correspondences in other topics, you would certainly find that many of the discussions have drifted in unpredictable directions and migrated into tangential areas, whether or not they are cursory or detailed, technical or philosophical, and antagonistic or rhetorical.

After all, you did submit a fair amount in the fourth posting of this topic, and even offerred your support and enthusiasm as follows:

Quote:
I love reading and learning from all the comments and suggestions that this Forum provides us, regardless of "talent" and musical ability, to help us get the most out of our KN keyboards. It would seem to me that perhaps the organists should have their own Forum; if one does not exist, perhaps it can be started.

For whetver they are worth, those are my comments. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the comments from all of you herein, even if they are not relevant to me.

Clearly, your views are sufficiently democratic and a pleasure to read. I hold you in very high esteem.

Khai

#65500 - 01/11/05 10:43 PM Re: Reflecting on the Past, Future & Capability of Keyboards, Organs & Digital Ensembles
Khai Offline

Dear All,

To increase understanding and broaden the scope further, my earlier comments to RMepstead, Roger Brandon Bradbury and Walt Meyer on university education are not in any way an attack on or a disrespect towards any specific individual(s). I value all forms of good education myself, whether they are delivered at home, school, colledge or university, or in a tribe, clan or community; face-to-face or by correspondence. And all of them have produced and sustained rich sources harbouring musical genres and practices that even the rhythms and styles on KN7000 can barely cover.

Khai

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online