SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#65400 - 01/27/04 02:55 AM KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
MarkW Offline

Hi all,

Now that Technics will be winding things down, so to speak, I wonder whether update 1.6 might never be available through official channels in the UK?

This leads me to think that if I should ever want to take advantage of the fixes in version 1.6, I would need to take the unsupported route of updating from the Taiyo site.

What worries me about this (apart from this being an unsupported upgrade route) is that there is a warning on www.kn7000.de that you mustn't install this version if you use the Plug-ins from Key Soft. Although I don't intend to use the Key Soft Plug-ins, this makes me nervous as it sounds like they have broken compatibility with previous versions at some level.

Also, if I upgrade to 1.6 and I find at some point in the future that I need to go back to 1.3, is there a way that I can re-install 1.3?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these issues that any of you may have.

Cheers,
Mark.

#65401 - 01/27/04 05:11 AM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
I have never upgraded my 7000! My feeling is the old cliche: "If it isn't broken, why fix it?" Am I crazy not to upgrade? I have had it since November 2002 and never have had any trouble with it at all. So, I just thought why mess with a good thing. Now that there will be no more Technics products, I am even more wary of fooling around with an instrument that serves my every need, without playing around with the internal workings. Any suggestions or advice? Or am I, as I said above, crazy to leave things as they are? Thanks for any comments.

Ted

#65402 - 01/27/04 06:44 AM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Ted, you said ‘thanks for any comments’. Well hears mine. I think you got your head screwed on right, looking straight forward and seeing things clearly. I would like to ask Mark to tell me why that upgrade would make my KN any better than it is and why he thinks his board is screwed up and needs a fix in the form of an upgrade. I even asked Ruthie and she said, “what ever you say dear”! Now this gal don’t need a fix either. She’s got the right attitude. Of course, Ted, I trained her real good from the start. I also would like to close with your gracious closure. Thanks for any comments.

Doug

#65403 - 01/27/04 07:08 AM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
I agree with Doug - leave well alone. I too have had my 7k since November 02 with (touch wood) no problems - unlike the 6k which needing fixes. The only thing is the volume problem outlined in my "Couple of problems" posting.

I'd love to know the secret of your success in training Ruthie, Doug. I've been trying for 50 years and it's me that ended up being trained...........

Peter

#65404 - 01/27/04 09:02 AM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I agree fully in "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it".....
.....but why are the updates made, if it's
not for any use?
They probably fix some problem or another
found after the release of the keyboard ?
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 01-27-2004).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#65405 - 01/27/04 10:29 AM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkW:
Hi all,

Now that Technics will be winding things down, so to speak, I wonder whether update 1.6 might never be available through official channels in the UK?

This leads me to think that if I should ever want to take advantage of the fixes in version 1.6, I would need to take the unsupported route of updating from the Taiyo site.

What worries me about this (apart from this being an unsupported upgrade route) is that there is a warning on www.kn7000.de that you mustn't install this version if you use the Plug-ins from Key Soft. Although I don't intend to use the Key Soft Plug-ins, this makes me nervous as it sounds like they have broken compatibility with previous versions at some level.

Also, if I upgrade to 1.6 and I find at some point in the future that I need to go back to 1.3, is there a way that I can re-install 1.3?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these issues that any of you may have.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark
Leave well alone there are more people not using this unofficial upgrade than are.
Do you see a lot of threads/posts of people complaining about their KN7000 not functioning properly.I think not

#65406 - 01/27/04 12:16 PM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Douglas Dean Offline

Peter quote: "it's me that ended up being trained..........."
Yup, those little lumps of loveliness can be real tricky if you don’t watch yourself.

Doug

#65407 - 01/27/04 01:14 PM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Douglas Dean Offline

A quote by Gunner: “....but why are the updates made, if it's not for any use? They probably fix some problem or another found after the release of the keyboard?

Gunnar, more than likely it’s a German problem that’s being fixed, seeing that it originates from only Germany. Italians are lovers, Frenchmen make good wine, Englishmen are very proper and Germans are always fixing and doodling with things. Could be they just want to keep you Norwegians guessing because you guys are very practical and want to always know the why of things. Us American slobs just want to have fun and work hard to attain it.

You know Gunner? It just dawned on me! There will be no new KN coming out this fall. That means I won’t have to work too hard this year to buy the new model. Say, that’s good news!!! More time for fun. See!!!! There is always a good side to everything. Maybe that's why Ruthie likes me so much and we have had so much fun all these years. Kind of reminds me of a song we used to play in our dance band: Accentuate the Positive or something like that.

Doug

#65408 - 01/27/04 02:25 PM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Yes Douglas, you're right, nothing's so bad that's not good for anything,
and you sure do point out some of the positive here.
Now we have to use a lot of time to figure out what on earth we're going
to do with all the money we have saved to buy a new KN.
Maybe Ruthie have something real nice to look forward to for that heaps of
money .... a trip to Hawaii or maybe Italy...

GJ

BTW,
regarding the descriptions you have about the different people around the
world, I've just found out that I'm very very international
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#65409 - 01/28/04 01:12 AM Re: KN7000 Update 1.6 warning
Mike ORegan Offline

I have painlessly upgraded my KN7K up to v1.6. The upgrades so far had only one feature which concerned the German HELP screens, otherwise they were universal. I have also upgraded my Digital Camera's OS on one occasion and will upgrade my MP3 player when necessary. That is the whole idea behind OS on flash EPROM.
BTW, who says that the upgrades were unofficial? And, again, who says that the majority of owners have not upgraded. I have personally distributed many copies of the upgrade files, along with an set of English instructions, and been thanked for them.
Mike O'R

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online