SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#65338 - 04/13/06 05:31 AM message for Alec Pagida
Edward East Offline

Loc: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
i think that my previous message should have asked specifically for Alec Pagida so i am repeating it here.
I understand that you are 'Technicsplayer' - Alec Pagida.
i have the excellent 'classic' series from Tecnote and I understand from them that they were programmed by Tony Peglar and yourself.
I am trying to put scored bitmap files into some sequences following instructions given in "Getting the most from your KN7000"
i am using the "Sibelius" scoring program and i understand you used this.
I have saved passages from Sibelius as bitmaps at various resolutions but cannot find a suitable resolution to use in the KN7000.
i have tried altering the resolutions to 640x240 using 'Photoshop' but end up with unusable 'blocky' pictures on the KN screen.
Could you tell me exactly how you saved and manipulated the bitmap files?
Many thanks

#65339 - 04/13/06 11:50 AM Re: message for Alec Pagida
technicsplayer Offline

Hi, forget photoshop resizing, the required final resolution is only 1 pixel wide so any kind of resizing results in rubbish, you have to get the 1:1 result out of Sibelius and then do photoshop copy/pasting and cropping on that. Try A4 in options, margins 50 points, staff size around 25, 4 bars per staff, save as 100%, 90 dots per inch as a starting point.

#65340 - 04/14/06 09:19 AM Re: message for Alec Pagida
Edward East Offline

Many thanks 'Technicsplayer' for your most useful hints.
With your help and a little patience I have managed to get some music onto the KN7000.
Your suggestions on sizing are invaluable.
My main error, I think, was the colour resolution in Sibelius.
When I found how to set this to a low value of 256 colours this helped the blocky scores.
Your extra tweaks did the trick which is very pleasing.
It is rather a fiddle to crop the images in Photoshop and I get slightly differing sizes with each 8 bars but I suppose practice will improve this.
Do you use the grid on Photoshop for alignment? (I am actually using "Photoshop Elements" but it seems to serve).
Do you save each 8 bars as a page from Sibelius or do you save a full page and crop this repeatedly in Photoshop?
The next stage is to arrange to change alternate 4 bars as in the commercial disks.
I have not heard of anyone else using the KN7000 scoring feature and it is a most valuable asset to be able to read from the screen without a music stand as I cannot play without music. (Although most people say I can't play with music.)
I shall now add scores to some of my sequences that date back to the KN3000.
Again thank you.

#65341 - 04/16/06 06:19 AM Re: message for Alec Pagida
technicsplayer Offline

Excellent You don't actually need 256 colours for black and white, unless you want colours in the chords and lyrics which I do on all my SD creations since have no space limitations on SD. I had the rather difficult task of fitting 4 songs to a floppy disk which took some fairly esoteric compression - you can see there is not much space left on each disk, since my original preference of releasing the songs on SD card was not cost effective in the end. 1 bit 2 colour is sufficient for black and white and will allow many more pictures within the available keyboard memory. By far the easiest and quickest method is just create a blank white 640x240 template and paste movable transparent layers of the staves as required. Saving will then merge the layers automatically.

#65342 - 04/18/06 08:55 AM Re: message for Alec Pagida
Edward East Offline

Thank you for further help.
I have more or less mastered the process.
I save Sibelius scores as bitmaps. This saves each page separately.
Then I pull each page into Photshop Elements and Open a second window with 640x240, 72 pixels.
Then I select a stave and drag it over to the 640 window.
Then I select a second stave and drag that across and position it in the 640 window.
I save this with a numbered file.
Then I delete one of the staves in the 640 window leaving one stave as the alternate one for the next file and drag over another stave. This leaves one stave in the same place so it positions without jumping in the KN7000.
It took me a while to work it out but I am now getting quite quick.
Putting the files into a sequence on the KN is quite quick - I have managed to put them in the wrong bars to start with but I am becoming more proficient.
I had a number of sequences that date back to KN3000 days and their associated Sibelius files so I can blend the two fairly quickly.
I have had Sibelius since it first came out on the BEEB computer but it is now rather expensive to buy from scratch. Does any other scoring program work?
I could send you some examples for your criticism if you can tell me how to send them. Can one post work on this site?
I must now find out how to use only two colours on the PC.
Edward East

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online