SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64951 - 04/06/02 11:16 AM KN say something even if its just NO
Pete Dale Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Hi Everyone
Having now connected the KN6000 to the Laptop installed its driver and set the switch to PC2 is there a simple procedure to check that both devices are talking to each other.

Pete

#64952 - 04/06/02 11:41 AM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
A quick and simple way is to set the laptops audioproperties
midi out to techdriver, and play a midifile on your laptop.
If everything is correctly, your KN will turn to GM mode, and
song will be played on your KN.
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 04-06-2002).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#64953 - 04/07/02 01:11 AM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
technicsplayer Offline

then set midi in to the tech driver in options, initialise the KN to get right 1 on channel 1, click record on track 1, channel 1 of cakewalk, and play some piano.

I have a little sysex program from years ago for which I entered the codes to switch the 6500/6000 mode from NX to GM, GM2, XG and GS and back again from the computer. This naturally tests that the connections are working. It will easily zip in a mail if you are interested.

#64954 - 04/07/02 04:55 AM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
Albertg Offline

Pete,
I find this interesting. What kind of cable do you use? Which driver are you talking about?
The only connection I can make with my computer is through midi. De SX-6 drive in my KN6500 has two ports but I don't know how to use this. Is this what you are trying do do?

Greetings Albert.

#64955 - 04/07/02 05:13 AM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
technicsplayer Offline

Pete is talking about the serial host connector. This requires a different cable to the midi connection, and a dedicated driver that is supplied with the cable, or available off the net. The driver for midi is supplied with the pc soundcard and is generally already loaded on most pcs.

Both midi and host connections are entirely interchangeable in functions. Midi is easier if you have several instruments in a chain, host is easier if you have no soundcard or midi interface in your pc.

The connections on the sx6 are different. They require the Techmanager software from Keysoft and enable to you backup the sx6 hard disk, copy multiple files to the keyboard from the pc and edit the directory structure, custom lists, filenames, print out the contents etc etc. The present version works via the parallel port only, a usb version was promised at some stage!

#64956 - 04/07/02 01:16 PM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
Pete Dale Offline

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info yes Gilbert it was the serial host connector as mentioned by technicsplayer did as suggested Gunnar still no luck have re-installed the driver a few times because we all know what PC’s are like.

Now on your PC in your system properties/device manager (view by type list) should there be something showing on the Sound Video and Game Controllers relating to this new setup?

If I go into Control Panel Multimedia Properties and click MIDI it displays the TechnRSV Midi Driver output haven’t purchased any music software at the moment all I wanted to do at this stage was to see if both devices will talk

Pete

#64957 - 04/08/02 01:18 AM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
technicsplayer Offline

the driver should be installed if shown in Multimedia Properties / Midi.

leave this driver selected here,
play a midi file with media player (or whatever your default midi player is) with the PC2 selected before you switch the KN on, just like Gunnar described.

#64958 - 04/10/02 10:48 AM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
Pete Dale Offline

Hi Guys

This PC connection is turning out to be a real pain in the you know what I have just sent this e-mail to technote to see what answer they can come up with

Thank you for the cable and disk having gone through the set-up process PC2 switch, etc still find that I cannot get the desktop PC to talk to the KN6000

The Techn RSV MIDI driver Output is displayed in the control panel Multimedia Properties I have experimented in various ways and played music files via Windows Media Player Version 7 but no sound from the KN also tried using my Laptop PC with the same result both PC’s use Windows 98 any suggestions some people on the forum have kindly given me advice but it does not seem to work. Please Help!

Regards
Pete Dale

#64959 - 04/10/02 12:25 PM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
technicsplayer Offline

initialise the kn, just in case there is something in the midi menu that has changed.

if that doesn't work, I'll send you my NX/ GM/GM2/XG/GS mode switching program. It's only a small attachment and will test the communication adequately.

#64960 - 04/10/02 01:10 PM Re: KN say something even if its just NO
Pete Dale Offline

I have tried your suggestion still didn’t work :-(

Pete
PJ@dale74.freeserve.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online