SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#64912 - 05/14/06 05:43 PM SCOTT YEE'S MIC
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Scott,

I noticed in your post that you are now using a Sennheiser mic. Several years ago, you spoke highly of an AKG you were using at the time. Why the change? Is the present one much better?
I have a Beyer M500 that back in the 80s was used much by the pros in live performance. I am soon going to start recording vocals again and want a warm sounding vocal mic. I value your opinion.

Another Scott

#64913 - 05/14/06 10:44 PM Re: SCOTT YEE'S MIC
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Scott,
For over 10 years I used a EV757 dynamic mic for live stage performance, and an AKG C3000 condenser mic for studio recording. I recently replaced the EV757 with a Sennheiser e935 dynamic mic and thrilled with the vocal clarity improvement it offers as well as its performance in general, which surprisingly, approaches (perhaps even matchs) the sound of the AKG C3000 condenser, yet far is more rugged, so well suited for live stage use, because it's a dynamic (rugged) vs condenser (aka: delicate) mic.I don't recommend the AKG C3000 for stage work because condenser mics are unforgiving to rought handling (accidental dropping). In fact, my first C3000 condenser mic simply died following a short drop on stage. I'm finding the Sennheiser e935 dynamic mic the idea 'all in one' solution for both on stage live recording as well as in the studio recording.Sennheiser also sells the model e945 if a tighter polar pattern is desired.

It's important to note though that mic choice is a personal thing, and one mic that works and sounds best for one person may be less than flattering to another singer. If at possible, go to a music store and audition several & compare to determine which sounds the best for your voice and complements your style of singing. Good luck to ya Scott.

Scott Yee

#64914 - 05/15/06 06:28 AM Re: SCOTT YEE'S MIC
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Scott,

Thanks, very much for the info on mics. I will follow up on the links you gave. There are so many mics on the market. zZounds lists at least 50 or more in their catalogue. There are brands I have never heard of - Samson, Studio Projects, Marshall, (I thought they only did p.a. speakers) SE, Rode... the list goes on, in addition to the well-known mics.

Where I am located, it would be difficult to try out mics. Your being an excellent singer, I'll listen to the "expert" and strongly consider the Sennheiser e935. When you mention the e945's "tighter polar pattern" I am assuming you are referring to cutting background noise and having to sing closer to the mic - right?

One other question - You no doubt are recording with a digital recorder - do you find a loss of "warmth" through the digital process over the analog (tape) recording? Over the years, I have heard complaints that digital recording loses the warmth of analog recording. I am hoping this isn't so. In this day of technology, I can't imagine anyone wanting to do multi-track work using tape.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online