SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64873 - 07/28/06 07:18 PM Need Recording help
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again, all my SynthZone friends!

I have recorded a song on my 7000 and have now saved it in Technics format on a floppy disk. What I would like to do now is record myself singing it, but I just don't know how to do this. I have my microphone attached to the proper spot on the back of the keyboard, and the "mic" button pressed and lit on the front. When I push the "Play" button, I can hear what I recorded and if I sing along through the mike I can also hear that as I perform, but I do not know how to save both together and then play it all back.

I also tried to copy the recorded song to my computer and seem to have trouble doing that, too. Apparently I am neither an expert with the keyboard nor the computer--but that should come as no surprise! LOL
Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ted

#64874 - 07/28/06 11:42 PM Re: Need Recording help
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Ted
I use this software: http://www.polderbits.com/
Roger M

#64875 - 07/29/06 12:48 PM Re: Need Recording help
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Seems to me there is a way to record your voice & playing already within the realm of the AWESOME 7K! That is what I want to do....without the need to buy some additional equipment......

Please tell me this is true & how to do that?

Thank you Zonies!!!!

ELIZABETH

#64876 - 07/29/06 05:15 PM Re: Need Recording help
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Ted,

The simplest way is to connect your KN7000 to your PC via a USB cable and then use the Technics Audio Recorder program. Load your pre recorded song into the KN. Start recording using Audio recorder. Start your pre recorded song and sing along into your mic connected to the KN. Audio recorder will then produce a recording of the your voice superimposed on the KN output.
Audio Recorder is by no means the best program for the job but it is simple to use and was supplied with your KN. Others including that preferred by Roger are much better. You will need to experiment with levels etc and refine your technique but this should get you started.
The resultant recording will be a .wav file suitable for converting to CD audio or compressed audio such as MP3, WMA etc.
It should be noted that recordings of your voice cannot be saved in Technics format to a floppy or SD card.

Cheers
Len

#64877 - 07/29/06 07:07 PM Re: Need Recording help
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Roger and Len -

Very interesting posts. I also am not enthralled in going out and buying a multi-track recorder to do vocals with the KN7000. Len, doing it the way you suggested doesn't allow any control over the voice volume. Sometimes, phrases are too loud or too soft. I suppose this could be controlled by using a compressor/limiter, which I have. Roger, this software you gave a link to, I brought it up and believe it also has a way to multi-track record - right? If this is the case, would you record the song from the KN7000 first and then add the vocal to the multi-track capabilities in the PC for voice volume control? If so, would you be singing directly into your PC? How would you connect a professional mic to the PC to sing along with the song?

Scott

#64878 - 07/29/06 08:42 PM Re: Need Recording help
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Scott,

If you have a PC program that allows you to multi-track it should be simple enough to record the song backing from the KN 1st and then whilst playing this back lay down the vocal using your KN and USB cable as the interface for the mic.
Alternatively you can connect the mic. to the PC input using the sound card line input and a suitable mic. preamp. Results will depend to a large extent on sound card quality. Connecting a mic. directly to the sound card mic. input generally produces poor results and is not recommended.

Cheers
Len

#64879 - 07/30/06 02:57 AM Re: Need Recording help
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nsr007:
Len, doing it the way you suggested doesn't allow any control over the voice volume.

there is a mic volume slider on the front panel that balances with the sequencer, this outputs through the usb at cd quality! or you could assign the multi effect compressor to the mic channnel and tweak inside the kn7000 still outputting through usb at cd quality mixed as 2 track
Audacity, which I have recommended here for years, is a free audio recorder, can multitrack, normalise, and has compression effects if required.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 07-30-2006).]

#64880 - 07/31/06 05:42 AM Re: Need Recording help
ochre aka ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Ah! Alec. Glad you mentioned Audacity. I'm trying to convert music into mp3 format and have recorded using audacity and managed to transfer the file into "my documents" but when I try to play it , windows media player, nero and real player all tell me they don't recognise the file type which I think is "mo." How do I convert this to .mpe type file please?

Peter

#64881 - 07/31/06 05:43 AM Re: Need Recording help
ochre aka ogre Offline

Sorry, that should have course read "mp3."

Peter

#64882 - 07/31/06 06:59 AM Re: Need Recording help
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Peter
audacity will be recording wave files and wav format should be saved to make cds.

For mp3 you need an encoder codec, google for lame_enc.dll, it's free, download and unzip to anywhere on the pc and the program will ask for the location the first time you save as mp3.

#64883 - 07/31/06 09:41 AM Re: Need Recording help
ochre aka ogre Offline

Thank you Alec,
Like these free ones---

Best wishes,
Peter

#64884 - 08/01/06 03:59 AM Re: Need Recording help
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Just a quick THANK YOU to all of you who responded to my request. Still "tweaking" a bit, but I do have the audio recorder working now and can record directly from the 7000. Haven't yet tried to record my voice though, but one of these days I will find time to do so using your great suggestions!

Cheers and thanks to all my fabulous SynthZone friends!

TED

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online