SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#64772 - 04/18/03 05:14 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Mike;

I have to agree with some of your remarks. A number of years ago I too was a subscriber. Most of the articles then I thought were upbeat , and very interesting. I also use to look forward to the new style disks that they sent out.

Their editor then , I can not remember the gentlemans name left the magazine and shortly after that I felt Techplus went downhill dramatically.

No doubt there are many people that like the magazine and find it informative but for me as it now stands is a waste of money.

Alex

#64773 - 04/18/03 10:45 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
I subscribed to this magazine some years ago, but didn't renew my subs because of the poor quality of the contents. I recently re-subscribed, thinking that things might have improved in the meantime. However, it is still very little value for Technics owners.
p.s. I DO know something of the subject, having edited a computer magazine for nine years.

It takes all sorts, at all levels of intellect, if the Techplus content holds no interest for you then the obvious thing to do is not buy it, I don't think it's perfect but then I've made my own suggestions in the past for articles etc etc. However I recall plenty of instances on Yahoo, Technote and here where you have felt the need to have questions answered ( some basic) to understand how the keyboard worked so maybe the "so called" simplicity of the content you make out is not entirely as clear cut as you say?
I notice you leave out all mention of the step by step workshops which are very popular with many readers.
Incidentally which computer magazine did you edit???

#64774 - 04/19/03 12:41 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

The magazine I edited was a "subscription only" publication, devoted to the Psion range of Organisers. I had some 2000+ subscribers, including Psion and their overseas distributors, from countries throughout the world and most of them stayed with the magazine throughout the 9 years. I published a wide range of material for these little machines and only ceased publication, reluctantly, when the new machines started to build in many of the features we had previously had to "hand program". Some readers may also remember that I later successfully ran a User Group for a range of Yamaha keyboards.

#64775 - 04/19/03 09:22 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
The magazine I edited was a "subscription only" publication, devoted to the Psion range of Organisers. I had some 2000+ subscribers, including Psion and their overseas distributors, from countries throughout the world and most of them stayed with the magazine throughout the 9 years. I published a wide range of material for these little machines and only ceased publication, reluctantly, when the new machines started to build in many of the features we had previously had to "hand program". Some readers may also remember that I later successfully ran a User Group for a range of Yamaha keyboards.

Well I guess there is nothing more to say other than Psion went bust didn’t they.

#64776 - 04/19/03 01:01 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Alec.
I was wondering who the other one was.

p
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
you can't be, Peter... because there can't be two of us

#64777 - 04/19/03 03:57 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

Well I guess there is nothing more to say other than Psion went bust didn’t they.

[/B][/QUOTE]

A cheap shot, Johnnie. Psion invented the Organiser and for many years dominated the market. They have not gone bust, but moved on into other fields. Psion was the first to use touch pads, which are now standard on practically every laptop. Thousands of their Organisers are still in use the world over.

#64778 - 04/20/03 06:45 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Mike do you think that was actually Johnnie C?

"Ghost Writers In The Sky"

#64779 - 04/20/03 08:27 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

[/B][/QUOTE]

A cheap shot, Johnnie. Psion invented the Organiser and for many years dominated the market. They have not gone bust, but moved on into other fields. Psion was the first to use touch pads, which are now standard on practically every laptop. Thousands of their Organisers are still in use the world over.[/B][/QUOTE]
Just about as cheap a shot as your shots against Technote magazine, Mike - you can dish it out but you certainly can't take it?
Of course psion went bust from the organiser market because they were totally wiped out by palm and ce - there are people still using betamax and 8 track, that doesn't prove anything either.
THE MOTHER OF ALL GHOSTS

#64780 - 04/20/03 10:01 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

Oh, Johnnie, Oh - "you're not handsome, it's true". However I refuse to swap "pleasantries" with someone determined to argue, while holding the wrong end of the stick! ;>) What's YOUR claim to fame??

#64781 - 04/20/03 12:57 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Oh, Johnnie, Oh - "you're not handsome, it's true". However I refuse to swap "pleasantries" with someone determined to argue, while holding the wrong end of the stick! ;>) What's YOUR claim to fame??

Got it in one Mike, you’re absolutely right it is true I am not handsome.
As for my claim to fame.
How about?
Revealing the extent of your publishing expertise!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online