SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#64145 - 05/09/03 06:40 PM Composer Editing : Drums on A#5?
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I have a KN1400. Recently I wanted to study the rhythmic placement of a Bongo percussion in one of the preset disco rhythm. I copied the rhythm into composer and proceeded with step edit.

I found the bongo beat at D#3 and E3. However, I noticed there's also a similar bongo beat (sounded higher in pitch) recorded at A#5.

Thing is, I could not play this sound on the keyboard and it is also not indicated on the cover (chord recording icons are printed on cover above the 5th octave area). I checked the manual and could not find percussions in the 5th octave range. Seems there are other percussions sounds there too.

Appreciate any help from you guys .

#64146 - 05/10/03 04:00 AM Re: Composer Editing : Drums on A#5?
technicsplayer Offline

many styles have used hidden sounds and they generally are all described in the drum maps in the blue manuals.

To use them just highlight the note in step edit and scroll the note switch and ok the result. This can be done in composer, pad or sequencer (I can't remember if the 1400 had pad step edit, I think it did). To play them, just play the nearest note on the keyboard and then change it afterwards, or use octave shifts to listen live.

#64147 - 05/10/03 07:37 AM Re: Composer Editing : Drums on A#5?
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thanks for the help technicsplayer!

I did checked the blue manual prior to posting this thread and it seemed to only map the drums sounds up to the 4th octave.

Guess I have to either remember / document the additional sounds located on the 5th octave for future use.

Wonder why these additional sounds were not documented in the manuals and why it cannot be played on the keyboard easily? Many of these additional sounds were used for the preset rhythms.

#64148 - 05/11/03 11:08 AM Re: Composer Editing : Drums on A#5?
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I run into "out of range" notes quite often when converting styles from other keyboards, but mostly in the instrumentation. Solton X1 will usually have a hallmark "dink" in the guitar strum that reads as f6. It's an annoying sound and I usually just erase it since it isn't needed for the strum effect, but it can be lowered to an f4 if one wants the note to remain. I have no idea why a note was placed so high, but I suspect it probably happened during the conversion phase. It takes quite a bit of time to edit out these "dinks", but the end result is worth it. Usually if the drum sounds are messed up everything else is too, so it's not worth saving the style. Like Alec says, lowering or raising the octave range gives you access to these notes, but I can't figure out what anyone would want with them. Too low sounds like thunder and too high grates your nerves. Oh well.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online