SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#63820 - 05/03/02 06:15 PM Why I am so quiet!!
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been posting but I am swapping my 5000 for a 6500 next week and have been busy loading all the 5000's interior styles to disks. I hope what I am doing is right. This is my method.

1, Press button from rythmn group -eg. March and waltz.Select first style- U.S.A March 2/4
2 Press music style arranger- button lit
3 Save those 4 performance memories from the VARIATION AND M S A section to Performance Memory Bank 1- button 1 2 3 4.
4 Continue like this until I have all March and Waltz on that 8 x 10 block of performance memories.
5 Name and save to disk. Sometimes the one rythmn group doesn't use the whole block, but I think it is simpler to keep 1 style to a block for easier labelling and cataloging.
Is this how to do it--- and will these styles now load into the 6500 as performance memories. Could someone advise please?

The other question I have is whether I
need to download again all the Webclub disks that I have for the 5000 and others that I have from other players or will they play O,K in the 6000???

I am enjoying all the postings and check in regularly. In a way I hate to part with the 5000. I have got to know it and it's like parting with an old friend, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot as you all seem to have a later model. I don't think I would have upgraded without knowing that there is help available on this site from such experts as Alec and Friends. The workshop section of the Webclub magazine is invaluable to me too as the step by step instructions and "pictures" are so easy to follow.
I started learning when I retired at 60 and didn't know where middle C was. I bought a Lowery Organ and had a few lessons - enough to play "SOMEBODY ELSE IS TAKING MY PLACE"
Armed with this knowledge I went along to my first "player's night' at the local organ club that I had joined and when my turn came to play, I sat down and started but the tune came out all wrong. LIGHT DAWNED. I got up and moved the stool 3 inches to the right and sat down and played note perfect!!!
I have improved since then. Cheers Jean

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 05-03-2002).]

#63821 - 05/03/02 09:36 PM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Jean, where does one get a magic chair like the one you use when you play? I've moved mine all over the room and it hasn't improved my playing one bit.

I've had a lot of presets sent to me that were loaded into custom and saved to disk, and that is probably an easy way to do the job, but remember to jot down the tempo of each separate style so you can reset the value when you load it into the new keyboard and resave with the kn6500 format. It's a hard job to try to figure out the different tempo settings when all the styles are loaded with a value of 120, but with the proper style name and tempo, it's a big step toward rebuilding the preset. It's a big job to take on, so you may want to consider the kn5k reprise disks that are available for the kn6000/6500 and feature only the styles that weren't included in the new keyboard. In either case, good luck with your new keyboard.

#63822 - 05/04/02 05:26 AM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Jean,
thanks for the kind words.

you do not need to save all your 5000 styles since some are already on the 6500, sounding rather better.

All the web club 5000 disk will load fine. However do not use customs as these will not load. If you have anything on custom that is not on composer, copy it to composer and save the composer setups.

For your presets you must copy the preset styles into the composer first using the pattern copy function. you can copy 3 styles at a time into composer A, B and C.

Then copy the music style arranger settings into three banks of panel memory exactly as you have been correctly doing, this keeps the correct tempo for each style. Then select each panel memory and resave them pointing to the correct composer style variation, rather than the same style in the presets.

Then save composer and panel memories only.

This will load perfectly into the 6500 and give you all your 5000 styles.

This has all been done for you on the 5000 reprise disks with a comprehensive cross check eliminating duplications, including the default custom section. The chord modify function has been optimised for correct playback for the styles. Also all the bank and variation music style arranger descriptions are included and work particularly well in the custom stylist. I think there were 115 styles in total, and can recommend the disks as a thoroughly professional job

thanks for the kind words about the workshops, if you have any ideas for subjects you would like included please just say.

#63823 - 05/04/02 05:56 AM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Thank you Bud and Alec. The reprise disks sound a better idea as I realise none of the styles would have names the way that I was trying to do it and you have pointed out other parameters that would be missing.I will get the disks as I have a great deal of work "in process" and need the same styles, You have saved me a lot of time which may have been wasted. Once again, many thanks,
I will let you know how I am going once I get the "new baby" home.I will print off all the information you have given me for future use as I always do.Cheers. Jean.

------------------
Jean Olivia

#63824 - 05/04/02 09:55 AM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Jean, I have been saving the internal styles from my KN5000 in anticipation of the KN7000. The internal styles have two fills for each variation (8 fills) but the composer will only hold two fills in each memory bank. So I have been using Composer memory B and C for the additional fills, duplicating some of the stuff in memory A in Memory B. I am about done with this process and will make what I have done available to whomever wants it. I do not use the music style arranger and have not included that in what I am doing. I am saving this stuff as just composer files. Let me know if these files will be of any help to you. Maybe I'll give it to Gunnar Jonny if he wants it for his site.

#63825 - 05/04/02 10:26 AM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
technicsplayer Offline

good point, Bob. the reprise disks have all 8 fills correctly arranged in each composer, so play exactly like the presets.

But you may need to alter the chord modify change in the composers too for some bass progressions and others need tweaking for correct chord changes. The 6000 had a much more intelligent method of following chord changes for the accompanimnet.

#63826 - 05/04/02 11:51 AM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jean Olivia:
[B]Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been posting but I am swapping my 5000 for a 6500 next week and have been busy loading all the 5000's interior styles to disks.

Hi Jean,
Welcome back to the Forum, it is good to see you active here again. You are getting a new 6500, wow, congrats, that is great. You will wow them down there in Aussie Land with that one. Hope to see more of you here now as you teach us some new tricks for the 6500.
Best to you and yours from,
BEBOP

#63827 - 05/04/02 04:48 PM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Alec, you said: "But you may need to alter the chord modify change in the composers too for some bass progressions and others need tweaking for correct chord changes. The 6000 had a much more intelligent method of following chord changes for the accompanimnet."

I need help on this. . I don't understand. This is what I have done:

I used pattern copy in the composer menu to first copy the built in pattern to composer memories A, B, and C using the copy ALL option. This puts the pattern in all three memory banks with Variation 2 fill ins in all three banks. Then I copied Variation 1 fill ins to fill ins 1 and 2 of memory B. Then I put Variation 3 fill ins in the variation 1 and 2 locations of memory C and the Variation 4 fill ins in variation 3 and 4 locations of memory C (just using memory C as a warehouse for these fill ins). So what I end up with is the pattern in memory A with fill ins from variation 2, and the pattern in memory B with fill ins from variation 1. These two memory locations can be used in the normal way. In memory C, I have the fill ins from variation 3 in variation 1 and variation 2 positions, the fill ins from variation 4 in variation 3 and 4 positions and the fill ins from variation 2 in fill ins 1 and 2 of memory C.

Have I missed something, Alec? I would expect to be able to extract this stuff as I need it for the next keyboard.

I've got all this work on my hard drive. The next step is to use the Tech Manager to get it into the laptop and into a zip file that others can use if they wish.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 05-04-2002).]

#63828 - 05/05/02 03:28 AM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Bob,
Sure, you now have all the patterns. I did it in a slightly easier way, but the principle was identical.

You can now re-assemble the patterns in the correct order using single load in the 7000.

Personally I waited until the 6000 was out because a proportion of the presets were the same. By making an accurate database of the styles (the names are not an accurate guide) I eliminated the duplications and saved a large amount of work. The duplicated styles invariably sounded better on the 6000, because they had been tweaked, so it was pointless saving the 5000 versions.

There are new styles on the 7000, so jumping from 5 to 7 should not result in very many duplications for you in comparison.

However some bass lines and accomp lines needed tweaking once inside the 6000. Otherwise you ended up with 2 adjacent bass notes the same as you changed chords occasionally, and other effects, a result not professional enough to be sanctioned for release by technics. The 6000 had a new function whereby any style, accompaniment track, or individual accompaniment note in any track can be programmed as to its exact behaviour when changing chords, the chord modify change function. This function needed tweaking on a proportion of styles to get musical results from the 6000 playback.

Since this function is so musically effective I would assume it is carried into the 7000, but until we see exactly what's in the menus in the new machine we won't know for sure.

#63829 - 05/05/02 12:52 PM Re: Why I am so quiet!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

OK Alec, Thanks. I thought you were suggesting that I needed to do more in the process of saving the files. The process of converting the files to the KN7000 should be fairly straightforward. We'll have to see after the KN7000 is here.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online