SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#63780 - 02/09/02 07:51 AM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
Mike Harrison Offline

Loc: Oxford U.K.
Hi Frank
Many thanks for the Movie Magic Files, what can I add to the comments already made on this forum? they are excellent and I am sure a lot of us are going to be inspired by this discussion into haveing a go. ( Full Marks )
Look forward to the next Part.
regards Mike

#63781 - 02/09/02 08:11 AM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Hi Frank,
I started playing piano as a kid, took a couple of years of lessons,then we moved and I never found a teacher I liked. I was not that great on piano, but I always enjoyed it. I played Clarinet in school. That's my music background. I was really excitedvwhen I discovered arranger instruments. Suddenly I could sound good!......well it wasn't sudden. I had a hard time learning to play with the rhythm. I always thought I counted fine, but when I turned the rhythm on I realized I wasn't so hot. Once I got the hang of that then I started sounding pretty good. But I am not as creative as you are! As to the bass clef, I'm going backwards there. I used to read bass clef but then learned chords after I got started on keyboards, now my bass clef is really slow! Neat you have met Scottyee and Bebop. I've a few MP3's that Scottyee played and then got some songs from Bebop around Christmas, both great.

I'm strictly a hobbiest muscian. But I do take my keyboard out at Christmas and play Christmas music at a few small parties at church.

Marilyn

[

#63782 - 02/09/02 08:13 AM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I'm the same as you. I have a terrible time with the bass clef anymore. So much easier to play chords. I use fake books mostly too. Ocassionally I get a song without chords and have to figure them out myself. That's when it's good to know bass clef.

Marilyn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
Hey Frank, I've gone full circle. Used to read all that stuff years ago. But I've been playing with fake sheets for so long I can't read anything but treble clef now. I've got the left hand pretty much committed to memory for all the chord names on my fake sheets. But, I'm lost without those fake sheets. So, I make my own to get them the way I want them.

#63783 - 02/09/02 11:38 AM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Marilyn, Ted, Mike,
Thanks for the nice words. Marilyn it was good of you to tell us a bit about what you are doing. I find it fascinating how other musicians developed their skills and what they are active in musically.
GJ,
You are so right, it was a lot of work sending out so many files. I just wanted to be careful about doing anything that might mess up the Synthzone. Even though all of the very few commercial styles that I use are modified. In addition this has given me some feedback on what people are thinking. Last September I posted “Swing” on Kool-Keys and didn’t hear from more than 2 or 3 people, even though I always thought that Big Band stuff was very popular.

Alec,
Isn’t it frustrating when you know the answer to a problem and for some reason you can’t see the solution. The same minor key situation came up in “Slow Hot Wind”. I did the Composer parts as you described and it worked fine.

Frank

#63784 - 02/13/02 12:45 PM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Frank: Finally got a chance to hear your 'Movie Magic' disc. Wow, quite a collection of stuff. Your distinguished career as a Hollywood photographer of the stars is reflected in your passion to recreate movie scores on the KN keyboard. Movie Magic is definitely a 'trip' back to the 60's heydays of movies! (Mancini orchestrations, etc) I'm impressed how you were able to successfully use the Technics arranger features to bring out these classic lush movie orchestrations. Most fasinating is Frank's highly unique playing style (unusual melodic phrasing & timing) as well as style choices I would not normally have expected. I found 'Over the Rainbow' a perfect case in point. This could quickly become a collector's disc. Move over Kordit Pandit. Frank, thanks again for sharing your music with us.

#63785 - 02/14/02 08:32 AM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
thkmcs Offline

Hello Frank,

thank you for sending me your
colleciton....

you're Styles are super and Wonderful...

Greets
Thomas
Home: http://www.thkmcs.de

#63786 - 02/16/02 08:03 AM Re: MOVIE MAGIC DISCUSSION Part 1
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Thanks for the music. You have done a beautiful job with your music ideas. You made my keyboard sound better than I! I look forward to more discussion about the rest of the songs. I am just learning about this keyboard. I feel very fortunate to have found this web site with such a great bunch of people that are so talented and friendly. I started playing the Lowrey organ when I was very young and living at home. Many years have gone by (about 20 or 25) and I decided to buy a keyboard. I started out with a Yamaha. Played that for a year and decided to upgrade and now have the KN6500.
I am so happy that I started playing again. I play every single day. If I come home for lunch during my work day, I will grab a bite to eat and play a few songs before I go back to work, and then play again when I come home. I am hopelessly obsessed with the music!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online