SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6334 - 05/27/05 03:44 AM Looking for a cheap Analog module...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm looking for a cheap synth module that will produce analog sounds. Something nice I can mess with, preferably with a Moog-ish filter, not essentially. Something with knobs I can tweak and twist I can make some great sounds out of, but nothing incredibly fancy; I'm using it for my U20's analog tones. Mono or poly, either or, Poly would be a bit more helpful though.

Price Range of up to $120, will only go over for something special.

Please don't suggest Waldorf Pulse or any other hugely expensive synths - I don't want a full on analog synth just yet. I just need something for making decent leads, and I can use guitar pedals to further mess with the sounds.

The one that interests me the most is the MFB Synth lite, which is actually true analog mixed with digital oscillators, and not technically a modeller.
The ESQM and AN20 also interest me, but tend to go for a little above my price range (though you can easily get lucky) and contain features I might not need(expansions card, drum loops, though the drums might be nice).

I prefer twisting knobs over programming things, even if it means loosing some customisability. Not essential though, as I can use the controls on my U20.

Thank you

And please, no bloody insane "Get a Moog" type suggestions, I play guitar as well as keys and I don't make much money so I'm pretty poor XD

#6335 - 05/29/05 03:17 PM Re: Looking for a cheap Analog module...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You really have no choices when you set the price at $120. I'm not saying that you may not not find an analog synth for that price, but you won't be able to pick and choose. Simply watch the classifieds and auctions until something comes up in that price range. But be aware that most analog synths are old and you need to be careful of buying anything old that may need work because that would be very expensive.

I bought a Roland JX8P synth and programmer years ago for $100 just because the owner wanted to make space in his studio and wanted it to go, so you can be lucky. But chances are you'll have problems finding either a synth module or keyboard in that price range.

Your best option would be to get a soft synth that will do what you want. Yeah it may not be true analog but it could give you the sounds you are after which is the most important thing after all. And it would fall into your price range.

#6336 - 05/29/05 07:54 PM Re: Looking for a cheap Analog module...
lowfrequencyoscillator Offline

Loc: atlanta , Georgia , USA
The Redsound Darkstar XP-2 is an analog modeling desktop synth . It has a great analog sound with a selectable filter - the 24db/octave just a moog . It was only $159.99 when new , so now it should be a little less .

#6337 - 05/31/05 07:28 AM Re: Looking for a cheap Analog module...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds great. I'm not looking for full real analog though since I know how costy they are, hybrid would be the best, and I'll go digital if I have to.

I'm pretty set on the MFB, but I'll check these out too, thanks.

[This message has been edited by Seamstress (edited 05-31-2005).]

#6338 - 05/31/05 09:12 AM Re: Looking for a cheap Analog module...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
If you don't mind going through your computer, ( vst and Dx virtual analogs ) you have many choices in your price range. If you don't have a laptop or portability is an issue however, this won't be a good choice.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online