SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#63357 - 02/25/04 11:33 AM Style / Sound Mix
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I know this has been asked a few times before, but it may be a good time (for me anyway) to ask again.

I have panel memory styles on Disk "A"
and panel memory sounds on disk "B" I would like to use a certain style on Disk "A" with a certain sound on disk "B"

What is the best way to accomplish this ?

Also what would be the best way to insert a sound on Disk "B" with a sequenced song on Disk "C"

I have both the KN3000 and the KN7000

Thanks
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#63358 - 02/25/04 03:09 PM Re: Style / Sound Mix
technicsplayer Offline

there really isn't such a thing as a panel memory style, a panel memory points to a pattern, either preset, custom or composer, and points to a sound(s) either preset, EW board, or sound memory, it doesn't contain them. To create a style you either keep the sound(s) and point the panel memory to a new pattern, or vice versa, whichever is easier.

Thus if your disk A is a preset pattern, just load the panel memories from disk B, and resave each panel memory pointing to that same preset pattern. If the sounds depend on user edits load the panel memory and sound memory. If disk A is a pattern in a composer, load file B and then load the composer only from Disk A, then resave each panel memory pointing to the correct composer and variation etc. Use page 2 of the load page to select which subfile (composer, panel, etc) to load.

If you have individual composer variations or sound edits to superimpose into existing composers and sound memories use page 3, single load, of the load page.

The song answer depends on whether the song is an easy record, a realtime multitrack or a midi file, and whether the sound is a preset or an edit. If an easy record with a preset sound it could be as simple as resaving a panel memory and perhaps doing a panel write. If a multitrack or midi it could mean substituting the sound in step record. If a sound edit, it could mean loading the sound memory first. If other sound edits are used in the song it could mean single loading the individual edit to an unused slot so as not to overwrite the other sound edits used in the song. Thus many answers depending on the exact song

#63359 - 02/25/04 06:21 PM Re: Style / Sound Mix
lahawk Offline

Thanks for the detailed answer. All these years and I'm just now getting into editing, mixing, and all that. If these questions seem simplistic, it's because I never really did any of this before. I appreciate your patience.

The song is an easy recorded song on one disk, and I want to add a custom edited sound (Registration ?) from another disk to that Easy Recorded Song. I know how to do that with preset sounds, but not with custom sounds on a seperate disk

If I load the sound memory disk first, as you say, and then load the song disk, the song overides the previously loaded sounds with the easy record sounds. Am I loading the easy record song wrong ?

The reason for the question mark after registration ?
I'm not sure what exactly is meant by a registration.

Thanks once again.
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#63360 - 02/25/04 07:16 PM Re: Style / Sound Mix
technicsplayer Offline

registration is just all the things a panel memory sets up, mainly the combination of right and left hand sounds, but also a pattern, a split point, reverb and dsp setting etc etc.

If the song has used no edited sounds, load the song, then load the sound file using page 2 of the load page with everything switched off except the sound sub-file. Thus you are only overwriting the sound memory, and the song (sequencer), registrations (panel memories) and composer (possible pattern) are not affected.

Then press the panel memory you want to change, alter the sound to point to the new sound in the user memory, and resave the panel memory. If it is the first panel memory you may need to panel write the sequencer too.

If the song has already used edited sounds you don't want to overwrite these, so use page 3 of the load page to load only that individual (single) new sound to an unused sound memory position without overwriting the other used sound memories. Then resave the panel memory pointing to this sound memory position.

This is all assuming this easy recorded song has been made in a fairly standard fashion. Sight unseen there are so many variables it is impossible to give a definitive answer.

#63361 - 02/27/04 12:06 PM Re: Style / Sound Mix
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Larry, sometimes when you get these sort of problems, the answers can seem just as confusing. I've switched sounds on sequenced songs after I decided I didn't like the way it recorded, or for other reasons, but sometimes it takes a panel write and sometimes just a save will do the trick. Maybe being in expand mode makes a difference, I don't know. The main thing is to keep experimenting, keep notes on what you're doing, and after a while all this becomes second nature. It certainly helps to have someone like Alec around to make sense of the chaos, though, doesn't it?!!

#63362 - 02/27/04 06:50 PM Re: Style / Sound Mix
lahawk Offline

Yes, I did everyhing mentioned, and I was able to change the sound of an easy recorded song with a custom sound on a seperate disk.

However once these new sounds was added and changed in the song, they didn't quite sound the same, the sounds seemed to be at a higher pitch on the song vs the original sounds on the disk.

I had to do some additional sound edits to try and get the sound back to where it was before adding it to the song. I suppose I did something wrong in the load save portion, but I'm getting there. Maybe the sounds only sounded different when coupled with a style, and didn't actually change. I'm not sure.

Your right Bud. One thing I learned is you need pencil and paper when editing, and having experts that you can get answers from helps.

Thanks,
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online