SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#63112 - 04/18/05 08:06 PM East Coast Jam Great Fantastic
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Being at the Jam was a blessing. The first face I saw was the smiling face of Fran. I think he was smiling all night – except when he played ha ha —his face was pleasant and he had a job to do. Both he and his wife are people we will spend time with in the future, they’re keepers.

Then there was Heather, hmmmm, a joy. When she played her first song I smiled, you see in my mind I was rating her ability to play. I thought nice, just nice. She started her second song – it got my attention. She was good --- but more, she was enjoying what she was playing, you could feel it. Was it complexes, involved, good structure? – skip all that stuff – Her music made me feel like having a fun party, I wanted to hear more. I wanted to dance but I don’t know how. With her music she was telling us who she is – fun, not inhibited, and just a real nice fun person. Ya gotta love her.
Please note, I rate the playing only to understand the person, not to compare. I love people, even more if they play music.

Dan and his wife Caroline gave a great deal. They gave the kind of help that you do not notice unless you are looking. Setting up tables, taking pictures, Dan brought his Tyros keyboard for Scott Yee. I’m sure there was much more – but they would not tell you.

I was looking forward to meeting and hearing Bill Norre. I was not disappointed, the man is gifted. The best part of him is his desire to share his knowledge. He told me that he spent a full day preparing the material needed before he recorded a song. You can believe that, his music was filled with expression, instrument changes, and feeling. The combination of instruments he used made you feel you were listening to a live full orchestra.

Roger Mepsted bought the sounds of the Beatles. His music was from a younger time. Roger’s music was good, I would like to have heard more of it. My wife and I felt a special warmth in Roger, we spoke of him on our trip home. Another special man.

There were many more that preformed. They all gave something special. I am still thinking of Bernie, he brought everything from his home except the pots and pans. Big speakers, little speakers, laptop, microphones, many stands and his Kn7000. I will learn much from him in the future, I like what he is about. This August we may join Bernie and his wife for a retreat.

I have never been in a room with so many Kn7000 keyboards – We spoke about keyboards, our methods of using them, about our equipment and music. We had lunch in the same room with the keyboards. Dinner was at a restaurant. I was in Disney Wednesday and Thursday, in all honesty I enjoyed my Friday at the Jam more.
More Jams, more music people!!!!!

A list of the value of a Jam. In order of importance as I see it.

1-I have made some very precious friends – music friends.
2-The Technics forum will have more meaning to me.
3-Being able to share and learn.
4-Connecting names to faces --- and personalities.
5-Comparing equipment.
6-And so very important to my wife and I – we have a new family filled with nice people starting with Fran, Heather, Dan and Caroline who did so much to make it all possible.
Next year bigger, more keyboards and lot’s more food. (Grin)

Had a great time, John C.

#63113 - 04/19/05 05:43 AM Re: East Coast Jam Great Fantastic
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,

We only started the ball to roll, those attending made the Jam a success.

Everyone enjoyed your professional workshop presentation. As a music teacher you are the greatest.

We will meet again as a regular Florida Jam is in the planning stage.

Fran in Florida

#63114 - 04/19/05 06:23 AM Re: East Coast Jam Great Fantastic
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Thank you John for your kind words and for ignoring the times I couldn't see the music and got lost or when I first started and reallized just how much smaller the KN7000 keyboard is than a piano.

I do enjoy playing, sadly not in front of people so it takes a little to get me going.

Your improvisation class was a delight. A few courageous people who usually use music joined me in a slow blues tune with no music and no inhibitions. It was a joy.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

#63115 - 04/19/05 08:32 AM Re: East Coast Jam Great Fantastic
Harry B Offline

Loc: Port Richey, Florida
John,
Your class was excellent. Chord structure is the root of improvisation & really flavors individual music. I apreciated totally. And to find out you were from Dix Hills added to the mix. Thanks Harry B

#63116 - 04/19/05 12:29 PM Re: East Coast Jam Great Fantastic
AndyHearne Offline

Loc: peterborough
So glad you all had a good time and well done to everyone - I really hope I can come to next years

#63117 - 04/19/05 01:49 PM Re: East Coast Jam Great Fantastic
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
In addition to all of the above,I am most thrilled with your floppy full of tune reistrations and cst's. Thanks to you,I now have a home page with more pertinent information on it.

Thanks good buddy
Bernie
ps
Hope to get together with you two later

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online