SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#62699 - 12/30/03 11:55 AM Music Catalogue Database
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Hi,

Having now got over 120 floppy disks with over 1600 pieces (70% MIDI / 30% Technics) stored on them, we've managed to create a database template in Microsoft Access so that we can locate the right disk and track in seconds rather than minutes.

Our current database takes just over 10.3mb in disk space. When compressed this goes down to 2.3mb. So it's quite easy to store on a Zip Disk/CD. All you have to do is keep the disks numbered and in order.

If anybody wants a copy of the template, let us know and we'll email a copy to you. Remember that you'll need to have a current version of Access to use this. If anybody's come up with a better solution there's probably a lot of people who'd like to hear about it.

As we're going to be rather 'busy' tomorrow night, happy new year to you all,

Mark & Michie

#62700 - 12/30/03 01:18 PM Re: Music Catalogue Database
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I did the same thing. When your archive grows and grows, you have to have some way to keep track and my notebook lists got to be a mess. I first list the type of style by catagory: country, latin, rock, jazz,r&b, world, etc. The first column in each catagory is for the tempo, the second for the style manufacturer, the third for the name of the style if it has one, the fourth for the 1-6 rating I give it, the fifth for any comments, and the sixth and last column is for the location of the style, being the disk and track number. Works very well for me and is easy to update and print out. It makes it very easy when doing conversions to double check a style to see if it's already listed. The catagory and tempo is the key.

#62701 - 12/30/03 01:50 PM Re: Music Catalogue Database
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Hi Bud,

It's nice to know we're not the only ones to have thought of doing this. I'll admit it's a bit time-consuming when you have a disk of, say, 40 MIDI files to sit and listen to each one to put the relevant style, instruments, etc. into the database, but the results are worth it. I've a lot of friends (not all TECHNICS users) who contact me asking if I have a particular piece. These days we can usually locate pretty well instantly. We've also started a similar database for all the MP3s and WAVs we've collected over the years. Why more people don't do this I can't quite grasp. I have to admit that learning to use Access or Works can take a good day of your time but the results speak for themselves.

I can just imagine sitting there with 1600+ files looking through paper notes trying to locate the right one. Wow!

Happy New Year,

Mark

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online