SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62576 - 10/11/05 07:01 AM SD File Structure Help
RonG Offline

Loc: Hudson, Florida, USA
I need help in finding the best way to create a file structure and to copy all of earlier KN series styles to the KN7000 SD. I have a computer that can read/write from its' hard disk directly to the SD.

Any help would surely be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron

#62577 - 10/11/05 07:31 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
technicsplayer Offline

here's a method that's free:

Save one file on the 7k (anything - eg initial condition) on a blank SD anywhere in the first folder.
Transfer to pc, follow the path Private, Technics, Kn7000, erase the inf and bak files there.
Open Tfld001 erase the contents.
If you want any more folders, you can create Tfld002, 003, etc etc now.
Copy your previous contents into each folder following the normal numbering convention, eg if they are floppy disks the contents are already 1-10 or 1-20 without numbering duplications.
Transfer to 7k, each folder will show its contents with the floppy file names ready for load.
Once you save anything on the 7k this method can no longer be used.

You can buy programs like SDExplorer to make an sd structure which work reasonably well with easier renaming etc and copy/delete/transfer on existing saved cards, but for a blank card this gets you going.

#62578 - 10/12/05 06:29 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
RonG Offline

Thanks again technicsplayer,

I will try to follow your instructions to save all of the previous KNxxxx series styles that I have on the PC hard disk to folders named KNxxxx on the single SD card.

What I don't understand is your statement "Once you save anything on the 7K this method can no longer be used".

Thanks,

Ron

#62579 - 10/12/05 06:44 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
technicsplayer Offline

you're welcome
the folders containing the equivalent floppy files are Tfld001, Tfld002, etc inside the Kn7000 folder. Just save any file, follow the instructions and path and it will be obvious since everything has already been created for you on the card.

It can only be used on a new card because as soon as a file is saved the card index is saved in the kn7000mn.inf and bak files you are erasing. Thus you'll lose all the long file names on your existing saves without editing these files, either in the hex, in notepad, or using a program like SDExplorer, THKMSC card tool, or Techmanager7000.

I should add that if you want to combine this new card with an existing card it can be done for free in Song Manager backing up each card, combining the backups, and restoring to the card, though naturally the programs mentioned are quicker.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 10-12-2005).]

#62580 - 10/12/05 10:40 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
RonG Offline

Great!
I successfully written 33 folders of styles from the KN2000, 2600, 3000, 5000 and 6500 that you so graciously gave me sometime ago.

I have a question ... can you select a style directly from the SD menu and play it directly? Or, how can one easily sample all of these files, one at a time? Where are they loaded or where can you find them when loaded into the KN7000? Sorry that I am so ignorant.

Ron

#62581 - 10/12/05 04:39 PM Re: SD File Structure Help
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Ron G,

I have saved all my floppies to SD Cards and the SD card can be used exactly the same way as a floppy but of course, it stores more songs etc., is easy easier to use and quicker to save and load than the floppy.

May I suggest you buy a KN SD-Explorer Tool which is easier to work with as it is based on Microsoft Windows, therefore you can drag and drop any or all of the files/songs from SD Card to SD Card, thus making up your own programme - say for a special 'gig'. This SD Explorer Tool not only shows you all the titles exactly as they are on the floppy but they can be sorted alphabetically and printed out as an Index. Yes! in my opinion, this is a much better route to take.

Fred Mellink and his colleague programmed this SD Explorer Tool and I am sure he will be only too happy to explain it all to you.
It isn't expensive and can be downloaded via the net. His email address is:-

f.mellink@chello.nl

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.)

#62582 - 10/12/05 05:22 PM Re: SD File Structure Help
technicsplayer Offline

SDExplorer costs £30.

You'll have to remind me what format the files are Ron; composer? all custom?. I get so many emails I can't remember what I've sent out to each individual I'm afraid.

#62583 - 10/13/05 06:15 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
RonG Offline

Hi Audrey,

Thank you for your suggestion and I will definitely look into the KN SD-Explorer Program and will probably purchase it.

Thanks again,

Ron

May I suggest you buy a KN SD-Explorer Tool which is easier to work with as it is based on Microsoft Windows, therefore you can drag and drop any or all of the files/songs from SD Card to SD Card, thus making up your own programme - say for a special 'gig'. This SD Explorer Tool not only shows you all the titles exactly as they are on the floppy but they can be sorted alphabetically and printed out as an Index. Yes! in my opinion, this is a much better route to take.

Fred Mellink and his colleague programmed this SD Explorer Tool and I am sure he will be only too happy to explain it all to you.
It isn't expensive and can be downloaded via the net. His email address is:-

f.mellink@chello.nl

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.) [/B][/QUOTE]

#62584 - 10/13/05 06:24 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
RonG Offline

You sent me all the file designations (cmp, lsw, seq, etc.) from the KN2000 to the KN6500.

I notice that when I load from a single folder all the parts of that file goes into the Panel Memory Bank A, Parts 1 to 4. Parts 5 to 8 always remains 8-Beat with no rhythm patterns, etc. ???

Ron

You'll have to remind me what format the files are Ron; composer? all custom?. I get so many emails I can't remember what I've sent out to each individual I'm afraid. [/B][/QUOTE]

#62585 - 10/13/05 08:08 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Ron,
since you have loaded and investigated everything is working properly - excellent. The original Music Style Arrangers have 4 registrations (as explained in the index text files included), thus it does not matter what is in Bank A memories 5 to 8 since it has nothing to do with the loaded files, just as the other panel memory banks do not, you can use them for your own purposes.

They are ready to play - just load, play a left hand chord, wait for the end of the intro, and use the 4 registrations through the panel memories.

#62586 - 10/13/05 10:10 AM Re: SD File Structure Help
RonG Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Hi Ron,
since you have loaded and investigated everything is working properly - excellent. The original Music Style Arrangers have 4 registrations (as explained in the index text files included), thus it does not matter what is in Bank A memories 5 to 8 since it has nothing to do with the loaded files, just as the other panel memory banks do not, you can use them for your own purposes.

They are ready to play - just load, play a left hand chord, wait for the end of the intro, and use the 4 registrations through the panel memories.

Hi Alec,

Thanks for teaching me and giving me confidence in using the KN7000. I have a long way to go with many more questions, but I am creeping along and learning about this great keyboard.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online