SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6232 - 10/20/04 03:38 PM Configuring GR 30 to PC Running Cakewalk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I purchased a midi interface that will allow me to connect my PC to my GR 30. I have Cakewalk on my PC. The physical connection seems pretty straight forward, utilizing the USB port laptop. Configuring the connection is, however, daunting. My first goal is to be able to bulk dump a set of patches downloaded from the internet to the "user" area of the GR 30's patch data base. Currently, the user area contains all the presets -- so its essentially duplicative and
therefore wasted. Regarding the bulk dump, I have downloaded Sysex97, which, I think can perform the bulk dump. However, I also have
the "GR 30 Editor," which I think can do the same thing. Furthermore, I think Cakewalk has a sysex function as well. So my first question is, is it true that each of these programs can perform the dump and, if so, which is best (or what are the relative
advantages and disadvantages of each).

My next question concerns the more exciting (at least to me) possibility of playing music into a Cakewalk song (recording my own
music) through my guitar. Here is where the manuals and all the other info I've been able to get off the internet frighten me a bit. As a reality check, I'd like to confirm my understanding that each guitar string should be assigned a separate midi channel, and that other things (like bending functions) must also be set up. Is this a tricky process? Is there any step by step instructions (e.g.,configuring midi devices for dummies) anyone can give me as to how all this is done in the simplest possible terms and what pitfalls I should
try to avoid.

One last issue: I also have a VG-8EX and a Roland JV 30 synth. At some point, I'd also like to connect these devices up to my computer (not necessarily at the same time assuming that's even possible.) The first question I have here is whether, by connecting a different midi input device, I
will have to reconfigure all the settings each time I want to switch intruments. Or, alternatively, can Cakewalk store and recall separate configurations for each instrument such that all I have to do is click on an icon or some such thing when I plug different instruments into the PC? Or, is there some junction box thing that can take all these inputs at once?

If this attempt to communicate makes sense to anyone out there, I'd love to get your advice.

Thank you, Mojo Jojo (the evil monkey)

#6233 - 10/20/04 09:26 PM Re: Configuring GR 30 to PC Running Cakewalk
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It doesn't matter which program you use to do a bulk dump. If you are going to be using Cakewalk for sequencing anyway then it makes sense to use its sysex librarian to receive and transmit dumps. It will also allow you to include a dump to be sent at the start of a sequence playing.

Whether you transmit on multiple channels ( most flexible for individual string editing later ) or on one single MIDI channel it up to you. Don't worry too much to start with just get it up and running then learn how to edit paramters as you need to. Assigning strings to different MIDI channels is simply a parameter change and the after that adjust the MIDI pitch bend step to suit your own string bending. Don't sweat it, you'll learn as you need to.

There is no problem plugging the JV-30 daisy chained from the GR-30 MIDI-THRU. The only problem is that the JV-30 being a GM synth will playback on all 16 MIDI channels but you will probably want to silence up to 6 channels that you will be using with the GR-30 ( unless you want the JV-80 to double the GR-30 ).

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-20-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online