SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6223 - 05/20/05 05:18 AM Top Class Piano for Weddings
gettin' on a bit Offline

Loc: England
Hi, It's a few years since I bought a 'gig' instrument (well the choice then would have been Rhodes or Wurlitzer stage pianos!). I have two excellent plastic cased digital instruments, an old Yamaha YPR-30 that still has an 'electric piano' voice even after 15 years than can kick butt! I also have the quite fantastic Casio WK3500 that still quite amazes me with it's DSP sound setting.

But there are stirrings in the old bones to start taking on wedding receptions again. I know that the above keyboards on a double rack would 'knock em out' - combined with my playing (no modesty these days) - put through one of my Laney keyboard amps, but I feel I'd like to look around for a hard cased 88 note piano with a decent weighted action. What are the most successful and popular models around these days. I ask for 'popular' as this could mean a bargain second hand. I know some of these things are very heavy - but I'm sort of quite strong really!!

Over to you guys and your expertise - thanks.

[This message has been edited by gettin' on a bit (edited 05-20-2005).]

#6224 - 05/20/05 08:00 AM Re: Top Class Piano for Weddings
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
For stage pianos... I like the Yammy P90 (Actually any of the P series pianos I like). I also like the Roland FP2, FP3 and FP5. But that's just my feeling.

best wishes
Bob
<><

#6225 - 05/20/05 08:08 AM Re: Top Class Piano for Weddings
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
For wedding? I would tend to a pipe organ!!!

I remember that Yamaha made some good stage pianos with their Clavinova series. They had some good accoustic and some good elec piano sounds. I don't know wether they are actually able to mess with modern digital pianos or not.

Good luck on your quest!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#6226 - 05/20/05 08:40 AM Re: Top Class Piano for Weddings
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I have a music store in Southern California and I sell most all the portable digital pianos.
First, for weight and low price there are the Casio Privia 100 (27 lbs) and Privia 300. 32 note polyphony, decent sounds, midi and can have two pedal jacks. The 300 adds line outs and 168 sounds compared to 32. Both have built in speakers.Both keyboards can split, layer and have drum machines and background patterns if wanted. Prices are $499.00 to $649.00 brand new! Pretty amazing products!

Next, the Yamaha P60, and P90 are both very good with the P90 having Yamaha's 3 samples per key, 64 voice polyphony with splits and layers. The P60 is 32 note polyphony, no splits. The one major thing different about the Yamaha's are that they are both still made in Japan, which is becoming increasingly rare given the price differences from China, Italy, etc. The Yamaha P90 weighs more like 35lbs. or so. The Yamaha's sell from $749.00 to $999.00

The Rolands are a bit more expensive with the FP series but all have at least 64 voice polyphony and the new RD300 and RD700SX's have 128 voice polyphony. The Rolands have great sounds, their famous "jazz Scatt voices" all split, are a little heavier to carry around and are either made in Italy or Japan.

Generalmusic makes the most realistic sounding piano to date with the Promega series. The Promega 3 is their flagship with 320 note polyphony , moving slideers and a very beautiful "old school" look (big knobs and easy to use). It's technology is several in one. Samples, physical modeling, natural string resonance all contribute to the most amazing fazioli and steinway sounds you've ever heard. The rhodes and wurlitzer electric pianos are completely physical modeled (no samples here!) There is also a Promega 2 model which doesn't have the moving sliders, 160note polyphony, less sounds and a slightly different key feel. Prices are from about $1800.00 to $2500.00. Not quite as light, between 40 and 55lbs.

All these keyboards feature graded hammer weighted keyboards for the most realistic piano feels.

If you have any specific questions, please ask
George Kaye
Kaye's music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#6227 - 05/20/05 01:38 PM Re: Top Class Piano for Weddings
gettin' on a bit Offline

Loc: England
Well thank you all very much indeed.

Whenever I get a smell of pipe tobacco it reminds me of a habit I had about 30 years ago (and still smells delicious), - but I have no experience in pipe organs. I suppose I could move a small one around on a trailer with an Isuzu truck.

However, joking apart it surprises me these days just how many players not only naturally lean to Yamaha but also Casio. I'd have never given a Casio instrument houseroom until I heard and tried the WK3500. The only thing I find about advanced keyboards is that you cannot change voices like an electronic organ. The control buttons are so small and you almost have to perform computing procedures to switch. It would also be nice to have weighted keys and a partial damping facility. I thank you for your music store address George. I am in Northern England though - so I guess the big mail order Company in Plymouth called "Starland" cannot be beaten over this side of the pond.

#6228 - 05/21/05 04:32 AM Re: Top Class Piano for Weddings
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
...The Promega 3 is their flagship with 320 note polyphony , moving slideers and a very beautiful "old school" look (big knobs and easy to use)...

Cool, George! 320 note polyphony sounds amazing for a digital piano only. But the weight of 40lbs to 55lbs seems to be very heavy.
I know that there are keyboards with wooden and heavy weighted hammer keys without having an own sound generator - for midi controlling only. Is there any possibility to spare weight using an 'empty' keyboard combined with a Promega 3 rack-module?

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online