SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61874 - 04/23/05 03:36 AM An idea about about posting a subject
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Normally someone posts an informative subject, everyone adds their thoughts and it's over. It goes from the basic to the advanced in a short period leaving many with a partial picture.

My suggestion:
The person who enters the post has control of the direction and level of the post. All others post at the same level and direction. No one goes beyond that level. Information given over a period of time allows for better
understanding.

I feel this will add another dimension to our forum. All thoughts are welcome.

John C.

#61875 - 04/23/05 04:01 PM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,

How right you are. It was evident at the Jam that a lot of attendee's had many questions. Most that I talked to felt there questions were to basic to ask and were ashamed to ask. Many of the forum answers to questions assumes that every body new the many steps to get to an answer. Sorry folks but many of us do not.

A few of the great players at our Jam know how to play, but when it comes to the operation of the complex 7000, they had questions.

You as a teacher know........one small step at a time.....old heads like mine think slowly.

Comments fellow members?

Fran in Florida

#61876 - 04/24/05 03:43 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya John C and Fran
Yes - I'm back in the U.K. and getting over the jet-lag slowly...
I think you may have something here John but can you explain 'level and direction' a bit more specifically - perhaps give a simple example like using panel memories...
Are you trying to avoid novices receiving a highly technical response which just goes 3 feet over the top of their heads?
Roger M
p.s. I'll catch up with all my Synthzone Jam promises today hopefully including yours John

#61877 - 04/24/05 03:51 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I ,wholeheartily, agree,John and Fran. I will admit to being one of those.

We need more meaningful activity on the forum,and from members that have been,heretofore, reluctant to post. I know that many members have kn7000's with the factory homepage ,for example. I was one until last week until I put John C's in my kb. I didn't think it important until I saw the information readily available on one screen.

That is only one small area. Bill Norrie's workshop on creating your own styles further opened my eyes to the wonder of our machine. There was a lot of discussion about Alec's books,the first being "How Do I Do That".This book was like a primer,and is helping me to understand topics in the second. Since the rights of the first are owned by Walt Tenay,I am not sure how closely we could use this book as a starter.
However,we don't need to make direct reference anyway.

I think we are on the right track.

Bernie

#61878 - 04/24/05 09:24 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
As I read the response to this post I’ve got to smile, I see the names and I remember what they look like ---and --- their personalities. Nice!

These are not rules, only suggestions:

1-The first post should be an individual that knows the topic well, who feels that he has done enough research and now wishes to share that knowledge.

2-He will be taking a responsibility for his post. He or she needs to be a teacher, a policeman to those who post and step ahead of his teaching, and he must have a wonderful personality – ha ha ha Well, why not.

3-The subject should start at the bottom, basic, the beginning. It would be as if you were teaching the game of football to one who has never hear heard about the game.
The people who are well on to the subject need not be bored, they can reach down and offer what they have to those who need the help--- but not going beyond the level of the post is at that time. I am using the word level meaning degree or position. Help me with better word if you will. I am always surprised how much I learn when I listen to beginners talk about a subject I know well.

4 -The person responsible for the post needs to keep it from escalating, advancing to the next level. Let’s call the person who starts the topic “The Creator” wow, why not.
We all need to work with the creator for the benefit of all. We can go back to previous posts on the subject, or to the good people who have set up site for us to share, but this will be a bit different. Information is given by the creator, we all can add our thoughts to what the creator has written, those who need the info will be receiving it at their level, we will be relating and sharing to each other, and I feel the forum will step up a notch. I do not have a need to speed through A to Z on a subject I enjoy, I’m not going anywhere.

These are only suggestions, I am sure there are people out there who can add and improve – and that’s what this is all about.

I am still laughing, I gave him the name, Creator. ha ha ha ha

I love family and friends, let’s do it, John C.

PS, I did not read this over, our Sunday dinner guest have arrived. He sings and plays sax with his KN7000. I’m primed for another good time.

#61879 - 04/24/05 09:29 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
The idea of some structure in the postings to add a bit of direction might just be an improvement.....Also could lead to too much structure & further discouragement.

When first I became a "member"....I posted a very specific request. Several members responded with questions as to why I would make that specific request. Others pointed me to websites that did not answer my request, although through those sites I did find what I was looking for.

The responses that questioned my request were not the least bit encouraging....they did not excite my interest in further posting on the forum. It was a long time before I posted again!

Just recently I asked about the "How do you do that?" (for the 7K) book by Alec Pagida.... (I have his other book, "Getting the Most From Your KN7000")...I wanted to know about the contents & how I could get a copy.

The response I received was that it was made available to those who attended the recent SZ Jam in Fl.....no other info! I was not at that jam....no one else has responded....I still want to know if it is available, from whom...& most importantly does it contain information the other book does not have???

As these were not responses that have encouraged me to participate.....Maybe some form & structure might help!

Let's find out!

Thanks for reading my post...

ELIZABETH

#61880 - 04/24/05 11:17 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Elizabeth
I believe you misunderstood Fran.Please see post http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/003154.html

He meant for anyone to contact Walt ASAP_

Bernie

#61881 - 04/24/05 11:20 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Aah, now converting such an idea into a method of operation amongst a voluntary forum group - there's the real challenge.
It's OK in a school classroom because largely people do as they are bidden and can be controlled; here enthusiasm can run away with an individual(s) and much more be written than is required, so the psychology has to be somewhat different...
How does the Creator 'take control' of the string? Considerate dialogue/Control freak/Sarcasm/Condemnation of those that step out of line/The previous testimony may be struck from the record etc etc...
There are as many options as there are personalities, and temperament is bound to end up being the trip wire.
I'm sure there is a solution but this discussion needs to be about process if John's excellent notion is to take shape - you see what is being proposed is a culture change...any management gurus out there?

#61882 - 04/24/05 11:22 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
no one else has responded....I still want to know if it is available, from whom...& most importantly does it contain information the other book does not have???

no one responded???... there was a link provided 20 minutes after your post which explained a great deal about the "How Do I" book including the email address of Walt Tenay who distributes a free slide show I made on request to display either on KN7000 or KN6000/6500 with details of all the contents. You only have to click and read...

#61883 - 04/24/05 11:27 AM Re: An idea about about posting a subject
Bernie9 Online   content

I think Elizabeth has a valid point. Many people do not post for fear of recrimination,or ridicule.

In my opinion,and from my experience with this forum, those fears are unfounded. I have asked many a dumb question in a courteous manner,and have never been rebuked. I have great faith in the people here to be considerate.

As for starting a topic, John C is a music teacher,and has my vote for Creator No 1.

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online