SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#61758 - 07/18/03 09:06 PM TechniChord settings
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
I don't think this query has ever been addressed on the Forum, but, if it has, consider this merely another senior moment on my part, since I certainly don't remember it. Anyway, I have been reading the supplied standard 7000 Manual and the additional supplement by Alec (Pagida), trying to understand what the various parts in TechniChord actually do! Apparently the default setting for the Orchestrator is "Conductor", but the new Manual suggests setting it to Part 4. (I believe only the Conductor and Part 4 will let Easy Record include all settings chosen in the arrangement setup, so I understand why Part 4 would seem appropriate.) Now, what exactly does the setting "Conductor" do, in contrast to the Part 4 setting?

Then, if you exit TechniChord and choose PROGRAM MENUS/SOUNDS/MIXER, there will appear a window with a total of 16 parts listed, 13 in addition to R1, R2 and Left. Looking at the window, I see the first three (R1, R2 and Left) are the settings I have chosen from the sound group in each category; Part 10 is listed as "Standard Kit" and all the rest (5-9, 11-16) say "Piano". Now, what happens if I replace any or all of the other parts with something other than "Piano" (and what sounds should, in fact, be used)????
It seems to me that both Manuals need much more information than is provided for dumbos like me ; so, any information and/or suggestions in this matter will be greatly appreciated. It seems the longer I work with the fabulous 7000, the less I know what to do!

Thanks to all of you who take the time to respond here or via e-mail to me. Hmmm! Maybe it is time for Alec to write a supplement to his supplement!!!

Ted

#61759 - 07/19/03 03:40 AM Re: TechniChord settings
technicsplayer Offline

no real explanation needed when you think about it, Ted. The parts are all piano. Can you hear any pianos you are not expecting? No. Therefore these parts are not being used in technics auto play or easy record. Simple as that

The Part 4 should be used for technichord because it gives you a third voice in live right hand playing, and even if you don't use the third voice it gives you the opportunity of balancing the harmony sound. Full details were in the 6k book, with a precis in the 7k book.

If you want to multitrack you use these parts, and that was described in the 6k book too

Load a general midi file and look at the sequencer play page or the mixer - that's how these parts are used!

#61760 - 07/19/03 03:56 AM Re: TechniChord settings
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
HI Ted,
Alec beat me to it, while I was typing - must learn to use more than two fingers
Anyway, for what it's worth, here's my two pennyworth.......

As you have discovered, Technichord can be used in a number different ways.
Firstly, if ' CONDUCTOR' is chosen, then the selected harmony type (CLOSE, DUET1, BLOCK etc) is automatically applied to whichever right hand voice is selected - ie R1 or R2. If both R1 and R2 are turned on, then the harmony is applied to R1 voice only. In this case, the harmony will use the same voices as those set in R1 or R2.

If you choose 'RIGHT1' then the harmony will always use the voice which is selected for R1. If you choose 'RIGHT2' then the harmony will always use the voice which is selected for R2. Similarly, if 'LEFT' is chosen, then the harmony will use the voice selected for the left hand part. So with these options, you can 'Force' the harmony to use a particular already selected voice.

Using Part 4 for the harmony, allows you to do two things : 1. Select a totally different voice for the harmony : 2. Adjust the volume level of the harmony. Selecting Part 4 for the harmony, effectively gives you another Right Hand voice (R3) albeit in harmony only.

So, you can set up say R1 to a Sax voice, R2 to a Trumpet and using 'Program Menus' / 'Sound' / 'Part Setting' , set Part 4 to say Trombone.
This will produce Trombone harmony irrespective of selection of R1, R2 or R1+R2. This type of setting can be used to good effect, in obtaining a fairly close approximation of 'The Miller Sound'. (I'm not at my KN7000 at present, but will check the settings I use and Post later...)

The beauty of using Part 4 for the harmony, is that you can independently set the volume level of the harmony, whereas using 'CONDUCTOR', 'RIGHT1', 'RIGHT2' or 'LEFT', the volume is fixed. On some occasions, I find that the harmony is a little overpowering and that is when it is useful to be able to use Part 4. If you have selected say, Piano for voice R1 and then choose Technichord 'CLOSE' and find the harmony could do with less volume, then just select Piano for Part 4 and choose Part 4 for the harmony. You can then adjust the volume level to your liking. (Other Parts TR / Slider PT4)

The harmony voice can also be set to any of the other available parts, but Part 4 is probably the most useful, since this part is automatically included in the files, when recording and saving an 'Easy Record' session.

In answer to your particular question about setting up other parts (5-9 and 11-16) to sounds other than Piano, they will only take effect if you are using the full facilities of the Sequencer, rather than 'Easy Record', to produce a 'Real Time - Multi track' recording. They have no effect on an 'Easy Record' sequence.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61761 - 07/19/03 05:34 AM Re: TechniChord settings
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Willum, it was all in the 6k book after all...

#61762 - 07/19/03 06:15 AM Re: TechniChord settings
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Agreed Alec, but not everyone has a copy of your great work Shame on them! - Just trying to be helpful......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61763 - 07/19/03 07:09 AM Re: TechniChord settings
technicsplayer Offline

we all know that Willum, regards

#61764 - 07/19/03 07:29 AM Re: TechniChord settings
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bill,
A great explanation!
Thanks,
Walt

#61765 - 07/19/03 11:04 AM Re: TechniChord settings
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
WOW! You guys are really great! I knew that if I posted my dilemma on the Forum, I could rely on accurate responses, and, as usual, I was right! Thanks for all the answers here and via e-mail. Little by little, I am learning how to work with this confounded (but magnificent) instrument, doing things I never thought possible. Your explanations have been clear, concise and even I can understand what they say. I have already tried "playing around" (so to speak) with your suggestions, and things are becoming clearer now. I will keep looking for any other comments and explanations in this or future threads here on the Forum or via e-mail, but, for now, I want to thank ALL of you for your time and effort in sharing your musical and technical knowledge and expertise. It is truly appreciated.

Happy wishes to you all, friends,

Ted

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online