SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61724 - 01/07/04 08:53 PM kn Questions (and worries......)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had a few days to get aquatinted with the 7k and here are my main concerns:

1) I need to have more instruments sustain like a piano does. It's not fair of Technics to decide which instruments the pedal affects. I needs to layer strings and piano, and the highest sustain setting (8) doesn't match up between piano and strings. Am I missing another parameter somewhere?

2) Can you scroll through song titles during playback? (midi or audio) So far, I can't seem to do this. If a song file is playing ..... you can't search for a new song till it stops. (very cumbersome)

3) What did I read about Panel memory staying for about a week only? Did I misread that? Will I have to load up my panel memory every time I turn the kb on? Hmmmm.....

4) The SD card reader is SO complicated and time consuming to set up. Whew...... I was at my wits end, and my PC crashed every time I tried to do a USB hookup between kb and laptop. I loaded the software and drivers first, like the book says, but no luck so far. The specs SHOULD support this unit but I can't make it work yet. I have a PIII 600Mhz Gateway that has been FLAWLESS with audio and midi till now. I'm puzzled.

*** I have 3 nights of work ahead of me starting tomorrow night, so I'll plow through the OS again on the job. I'll check back in and see if anything has changed with experience. Wish me luck .... so far, I'm not too optimistic about my queries. I think this machine may just have a few drawbacks that I didn't count on. That string sustain is the biggest problem (after the drum sounds) for me. I need to have smooth string pads under my piano, and they NEED to sustain the same rate and duration as the piano chords do.

What to do ... what to do .......

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-07-2004).]

#61725 - 01/07/04 11:07 PM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Uncle Dave,
don't think I'm going to be much help here. You may need a performer to answer some of these questions, or Alec if he's around.

I assume you're trying to layer Right 1 & Right 2? I tried it on mine, but the strings kept fading out even with the sustain peddle on. The only part one that I can get a continuous sustain on is the left hand part.

You can actually create a number of song lists if that's of any help, but being able to scroll through titles while it's playing, unfortunately I don't think so.

Not aware of Panel Memories disapearing, unless something is loaded over the top of them. Most of us tend to save them as part & parcel of a sequence or you can even save them by themselves.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I do remember something odd to do with the earlier kn's that if you didn't save them, after a certain amount of time if your keyboard laid dormant, you'd lose them and they'd go back to default. The brain's not functioning is well as it used to.

What are you trying to load to sd card. If it's midifiles ( called sd sound play) you can load them from floppy and create playlists.

Press SD
next SD Tools
press copy from disk
name it and press okay

Unfortunately it is a bit of a time consuming exercise first up.

Do you have the instructions that came with the software as you do have to follow it exactly or it won't work.
I've got mine connected to a windows 98 laptop and I've had no problems. Does the card reader work, or is it only the usb set up that you're having problems with.

Hopefully someone with a bit more expertise will be able to help.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#61726 - 01/08/04 02:14 AM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Uncle Dave,
Without wishing to tell you how to 'suck eggs'..... I would offer the following, with regard to your first two questions :

1.Bear in mind that a Real Piano's sound can naturally be sustained for quite some time, after the key has been released, by use of the sustain pedal. However, when a string player stops bowing, (on the KN700 - lifting the key) the sound of the string instrument dies away quite quickly. The actual instruments have totally different sustain characteristics, so if Technics have decided to produce as near as possible, a 'natural' sound for each instrument, then there should be little or no sustain on a string sound - particularly on a violin. A Double Bass would have a longer sustain due to the size of the instrument and the fact that the strings are able to vibrate for a longer period of time. When we hear recorded sounds with sustained strings, I would suggest that this is created artificially by using Reverb. Perhaps you could achieve the effect you want, by adding some reverb to the String sound in the Sound Edit facility, but little or none to the Piano.

2. I assume you wish to scroll through the SD files whilst a Sequence is playing ??
If this is the case, then yes, it can be done. While the song is playing, just press the 'SD' button followed by 'LOAD' and you can then scroll through the Folders and Files, without disturbing the playback. When the playback has finished, just hit the 'LOAD' button again and the selected song will load. Then press 'START' or hit a Left hand key, if 'SYNCHRO' is active and the new song will start to play.

With regard to the Panel Memory, if I remember correctly, the data is stored in Volatile Memory. When the instrument is powered down, the data is maintained by a storage capacitor (a kind of short term rechargeable battery), so when the capacitor eventually discharges, the memory will lose its content. There are other types of 'User' memory in the KN7000 which do not lose their data during power down, for example, Custom Panel and and Custom Style. They use 'Flash' memory which, like the SD card, retains data during power down.

Why Technics decided to use different types of memory, I don't know, but they must have their reasons.

There have been quite a few reports of problems related to KN7000 / PC interface. I think most are related to PCs which use Windows XP. I use Windows 98SE on the laptop which is connected to my KN7000 and had no problems. However, since Microsoft are about to cease support for Windows 98, it looks like I may have to bite the bullet and 'upgrade' to XP - much against my will
Best of luck Dave with your new venture.....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61727 - 01/08/04 03:03 AM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
Uncle Dave Offline

Good info - thanx. I'll fool with it tonight b4 work and see if I can get closer to a solution. The sustain thing is a real bother. As a solo entertainer, I am not trying to recreate a concert violin, I'm trying to make the fullest, best sounding arrangement i can with 2 hands. The sustain is a vital tool to allow me to do more with the digits I have. I understand your explaination though ..... I just think it's a poor choice on a digital kb. We're not purists here ..... We're just trying to make music, right?

#61728 - 01/08/04 04:44 AM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
Geoff-S Offline

Loc: Wakefield
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Good info - thanx. I'll fool with it tonight b4 work and see if I can get closer to a solution. The sustain thing is a real bother. As a solo entertainer, I am not trying to recreate a concert violin, I'm trying to make the fullest, best sounding arrangement i can with 2 hands. The sustain is a vital tool to allow me to do more with the digits I have. I understand your explaination though ..... I just think it's a poor choice on a digital kb. We're not purists here ..... We're just trying to make music, right?

I Have the card reader etc., Powertracks Pro Audio and am running on Windows XP Pro and up until now have had no problems with either the keyboard or the computer.
I can record and up/download with the technics software and also record/playback from powertracks. I know this is not much help for your problem but i'm just informing you of my experience.

#61729 - 01/08/04 08:54 AM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Uncle Dave, I've read thru your post briefly.

1-I always load my basic program when I start my keyboard. It's where I begin everything I create.

2-My best guess on string/violins, is reverb as Bill said, but I found that I must create what I am looking for on the KN7000. The good part is, that it is capable to do just about all that I want. Go to sound edit and play with the Attack and the decay.

3-You're right about the SD card being a bit of a problem, but like most things once learned they're simple.

4-No help on play backs.(yet)

Important-----
I failed trying to use the Tyros in the same maner as I do the Kn7. You need time with this new keyboard, you have been a Yamaha man, if you push it you will be unhappy.

Ways I Can Help
1-I'll mail you a copy of some of my setups.They will give you a general knowledge of how I use the keyboard on the job. Bear in mind we come from different backgrounds.
2-Some of my instrument sounds
3-And a uncompleted copy of my drum edit, which I use a great deal for dancers, and a few pads, they add so much.

Will this be what you are looking for? Maybe not, but it will give you start, a closer picture of how the KN7 can be used.

Other than some playback problems, I have yet to have a problem that I could not solve with this keyboard. Time is needed.

I'll get the info out shortly, John C.

#61730 - 01/08/04 09:21 AM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
Uncle Dave Offline

John ... thanx for all the help. I'll gladly accept any grace you can send me !

Now - the BIG news !!!!!!

HALLELULIA ! The strings (and anything else) CAN sustain indefinatly. It's a setting in the sound edit section. Go to the Aplitude Envelope, and set the release to "Hold" instead of "Long". Write the new sound into the memory bank and ....away we go !
Whew. What a relief ! Tinight's job will be SO much easier now !

#61731 - 01/08/04 11:36 AM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Willum,
wow, I've totally missed that feature.
(I usually just play the members songs in medley mode ( great relaxing background music).
Does your suggestion work with kn sequences, midifiles & audio ?
On the odd occasion I do play individual songs, but I've always thought I had to wait till the song finished. Really handy to know.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:

2. I assume you wish to scroll through the SD files whilst a Sequence is playing ??
If this is the case, then yes, it can be done. While the song is playing, just press the 'SD' button followed by 'LOAD' and you can then scroll through the Folders and Files, without disturbing the playback. When the playback has finished, just hit the 'LOAD' button again and the selected song will load. Then press 'START' or hit a Left hand key, if 'SYNCHRO' is active and the new song will start to play.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#61732 - 01/08/04 02:26 PM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Rikki,
It certainly works with KN sequences. I don't know about MIDI or Audio files because I don't use either and have none on my SD cards.
I assumed that Dave just wanted the fastest possible load procedure for his next song, during his live performances.

As a side issue, you mentioned that you play songs you have downloaded in the medley mode. I've tried to compile medleys from selections of my KN sequences, but to date have been unsuccesful. I would appreciate a description of your method.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61733 - 01/08/04 05:12 PM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Willum,
I must admit I haven't bothered putting my midifiles onto sd card either. 6 to 8 years ago , when I first started buying them, I thought they sounded great ( on my roland sound canvas). I tried them again recently, nuff said, I didn't bother loading them to sd.

I'm not sure if I might have mislead you with my terminoligy, I'm only referring to
SD Song Medley Mode , the one that automatically plays one song after the other on the list.

Are you trying to compile a list so the songs play in a specific order ? or are you referring to something totally different.

I'd be happy to fiddle round and see if I can get it to work, (2 heads are better than 1) but I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to acheive.

My songs are all compiled in separate folders ie ( at least 2 or 3 Bill Norrie folders (haahaa) and cee's song folder etc etc etc ( hours of listening pleasure).
I wanted to be able to identify who I was listening to, rather than compile them by song title. You Guys & gals all sound uniquely different , even when you've performed the same song.

If I can be of help, please let me know.

if you prefer by email
rikkisbears@hotmail.com

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Rikki,

As a side issue, you mentioned that you play songs you have downloaded in the medley mode. I've tried to compile medleys from selections of my KN sequences, but to date have been unsuccesful. I would appreciate a description of your method.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#61734 - 01/08/04 07:34 PM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Uncle Dave,

Another approach to long sustain (or hold) is to use the Sostenuto setting on the foot switch pedal. Unfortunately this appears to work on only one of the right hand parts at a time so if you wish to hold piano and strings you have to use one of the combination voices or edit your own.

Cheers
Len C.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 01-08-2004).]

#61735 - 01/08/04 09:31 PM Re: kn Questions (and worries......)
Uncle Dave Offline

Len,
The hold problem has been fixed !
There is a setting in the sound edit pages that turns the setting from "long" to "hold". It's just what I wanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online