SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6129 - 05/23/06 03:18 AM Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
to the genesys Offline

Hi I am looking to get a rack sound module.

I am looking at the Roland Fantom xr and the Yamaha Motif es rack.

I was wondering which one has the easier interface? Is either of them computer sequencer software friendly?

Now I know Sound is subjective but I will ask the dreaded question anyway.
For modern contemporary music, styles like hiphop, R and B, dancehall reggae, and also ethnic sounds, which one would you say has the punchier sound?

Also, is the sound expandability on the Roland xr (6 expansion boards and a sampler) worth it over the Motif?

Thanks

#6130 - 05/23/06 07:43 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida
Just some background info:

I had a Motif Es rack. I sold it and now use a Moitf Es6. So now I have both the sounds/capabilities and the keys for when I'm working in a band situation and studio recording. As a OMB or duo I still use a Gem Wk6. I'm just familiar with it's o/s. I work 5-6 times a week performing. So it's easier to stick with what works for me.

Now sound(s) quality is subjective. Just use what sounds good to you. I thought the Roland sounded "muddy". But that's me. I didn't spend time with the functions of the Roland because if the sounds/layout aren't what I want,I usually stop there.

Now functionality in the motif is menu based if you are not using a DAW. So get used to paging through menus on a small surface. Another thing to consider is if you are going to be doing any kind of motif file transfer(setups) with friends or studios. What is nice is you can save these settings on a thumbdrive and go into a studio and dump it into their motif soundsource. It also interfaces easily with cubase/sonar. Which again makes it worth having just becuase of it's wide use/application. Support wise, just look at a site like motifator.com. I have personally had responses to any q's I have had and it really is helpful.

Again, I think Roland and Yamaha have a wide array of similar sounds when it comes to different styles of music. The effects and arpeg. in the motif are top notch. So you can use multiple effects in a mix/midi sequence. Beleive it or not, I use the gem sequencer(which IMO is the best hardware seq. from a former user of Roland products) simply midi'd out to the motif and it works great for me. For under a grand that's still amazing to me. Ok, I hope this helps a bit.

Take care!

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=235791

www.mychrisvalenti.com

#6131 - 05/23/06 09:13 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I have a Yamaha S90ES which has the Motif sounds in it. I've also tried the Fantom and they are very good, but the Motif sounds seem to have more bite to them to my ears.
Also if Roland were put all of their best sounds into the instrument in the first place surely there would be no need for all of the expanion slots? I always think Roland just put these on to try and get some more money off us all lol
They are both good though so see which is the cheapest.

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 05-23-2006).]

#6132 - 05/23/06 09:35 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
to the genesys Offline

Thanks Chris and Craig for the responses.
Chris your response was very helpful especially since I am a Gem user (Genesys).

I guess both of the modules (fantom xr and motif es) have reasonably good sounds. I just have to decide if the 6 expantion boards and the sampler would be worth the extra $$ especially since the motif has good preset sounds?

Although right now I don’t have a sampler in my set-up.

What about the drum sounds on both of those units?

#6133 - 05/23/06 10:05 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You better play them both and decide for yourself..

#6134 - 05/23/06 12:33 PM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
My choice was the MOtif ES8.

1. KB feel (not important since you are geting a rack but I'll mention it anyway ).

2. Sound. Sounds are good and they work very well in the mix. It's probably the best multitimbral synth I've ever worked with. Something I cannot say for most Roland workstations unfortunately.

3. Plugin boards. Beats Roland wave expansion cards because by adding plugin boards you are basically adding different synths with their own polyphony. Yamaha offer a lot of different plugin boards for the Motif ES. At the moment I have two AN1X PLG 150 boards installed and it's just like having an AN1X inside the MOtif ES. Plugin boards are a huge advantage.

Don't want to come across as if I'm trying to bag Roland Phantom workstations but to my opinion MOtif (in this case Motif ES) workstations simply sound better and are more fun to work with!

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-23-2006).]

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-23-2006).]

#6135 - 05/24/06 02:43 PM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'll cast my vote for the Yamaha as well, based on what my ears like to hear. Of course your ears may tell you something entirely different. I will also tell you that other than the AN150 and VL150 plug-ins, both of which I like very much, the remaining plug in boards don't do much for me. The DX module is fine, but I like FM7 and Sytrus software a lot better. I have no experience with the Roland plug ins, so I can't compare. I will agree with Ed that the AN150 is an excellent analog emulator, kinda like a Prophet 5 to my ears. What I don't care for much is that you can't do more than very basic editing from within the ES, without using a computer to assist.

I chose the Motif ES, so my initial cure for the lack of quality add on boards was to employ softsynths to my setup. The quality of some of the softsynths was better than I expected, and I now use them quite often as alternatives to the staple ES sounds as well. I know some aren't all that turned on by using a computer, and I guess that's a personal choice. The way I figure it though, I need to use the computer anyway to do any meaningful edits to my AN150 and VL150, so why not add some fresh modules and sounds.

As far as working with a computer sequencer, my Motif works fine in conjunction with Sonar, FL Studio, and the SQ01 software sequencer that came bundled with the KB.
Sq01 had a lot of potential, but like so many other Yamaha software projects, it was abandoned in it's infancy. The Motifator site now refers to it basically as "test" or "experimental" software.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-24-2006).]

#6136 - 06/01/06 02:30 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
Magica Alfa Offline

You don't need external modem: you need only
LIONSTRACS MEDIASTATION X76.

This keyboard is open surce and is working everytime with VST (NI KONTAKT, AKAI VST, a lot of sinths e.t.c.) what you want that you get. You will have in next to years new wish and than you will only change VST and it is work as new expander.

This is future.

#6137 - 06/01/06 05:32 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Magica how much is Dom paying you to advertise this poor quality instrument lmao

#6138 - 06/01/06 06:57 AM Re: Roland xr or Yamaha Motif es racks
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Magica Alfa:
You don't need external modem: you need only
LIONSTRACS MEDIASTATION X76.

This keyboard is open surce and is working everytime with VST (NI KONTAKT, AKAI VST, a lot of sinths e.t.c.) what you want that you get. You will have in next to years new wish and than you will only change VST and it is work as new expander.

This is future.

I agree with you

Keyboards like the mediastation are the way to go.
As long as the hard ware works and is reliable then it is a good keyboard.

I know some people are stuck on the closed system keyboards like the Yamahas Korgs and Rolands. Some of them even expect an online demo and online reviews of persons who probably don’t embrace the mediastation concept and have a bias for the “Big 3” to sell them the keyboard.

I don’t care how good or bad the online demos are nor do I care how good or bad the specs are, for me physically hearing and playing would determine whether or not I get a keyboard.

So unless I can actually hear and play a mediastation hear in the U.S or where ever I am, I wouldn’t be getting one.

BTW I demoed in person both the modules and Yamaha one the battle.
The Roland had some good sounds and I like the expansion capability of the Roland, but Yamaha was more economical.
Roland has some sounds that were 90% good and some that were 30% good.
Where as Yamaha had most of their sounds at around 75% good.
These were just the onboard sounds. I guess the Roland would be much better once you get a few of the expansion boards and increase the sample memory. And then you have to do economics.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online