SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#61354 - 07/01/03 08:34 PM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello Flutteringby

Thanx for your clear answer. There is a lot to think about when considering a new keyboard.

I think I have most of my main questions answered right now.

But just so I understand this, the panel memory buttons 1-8 have 3 banks for a total of 24? And I can store one external(from disk) or internal(on-board) style in in each one of those for a total of 24 styles. Do I understand that correctly? If so, that suprized me. There must be a bunch of internal memory in that board that I wasn't aware of.

If you can do the 24 styles like I mentioned I can see where the disk on the 2400 could do the job.

Thanx for your input.

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-01-2003).]

#61355 - 07/02/03 08:21 AM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Bluebird Offline

Hi guys,
Scott said: The panel memory buttons 1-8 have 3 banks for a total of 24. And I can store one external(from disk) or internal(on-board) style in in each one of those for a total of 24 styles. Do I understand that correctly? If so, that suprized me. There must be a bunch of internal memory in that board that I wasn't aware of. If you can do the 24 styles like I mentioned I can see where the disk on the 2400 could do the job.

But Rikki said: The composer style area is where you load and play your normal kn styles. In this area you can create & save new styles, edit existing styles etc. Load 3rd party styles. You can have up to 3 styles loaded ready for play in this area. This is the area the KN7, KN2600, Kn2400 uses for external styles.

After reading these statements in the forum, it is not clear to me the capacity to load external styles into KN2400/2600. 24 styles or 3 styles? Please, it is important for a next buy.

Blue

#61356 - 07/02/03 08:39 AM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

The next thing to consider, if I understand this correctly, is with a 128mb SD card you can have 99 folders with 20 styles per folder. Just short of 2000 styles!

The SD card is supposed to be quick. Maybe one can load one style at a time for fast live play.

I think this is about my last main question.haha

Thanx for the input gang, and for putting up with my barrage of questions. I get a little excited when considering a new board.

Scott Langholff

#61357 - 07/02/03 03:47 PM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott,
I was only using the 128mb as an example. These 99 folders, with the 20 styles/songs per folder is available on any size sd card. Your only restriction is the size of your styles and the capacity of your card.
ie sd cards are available at the moment ranging from 8mb to 256mb. You certainly won't fit 2000 styles on an 8mb card, wheras if you bought a 256mb card for only saving styles, it might be overkill as you could have wasted space left on your card.

I mainly use my 256mb card for sd audio files for my kn7.

I personally decided I wanted to have seperate cards for individual functions ,
ie
I have my old gm midifiles and songs dowloaded from the members on 1 card.

I have all my styles on another card that I use for auditioning when I'm looking for a style to go with a new song.

Last, I have my work card. This contains the styles & songs & setups for the songs that I can actually play.This ones really empty, but I'm hoping to add to it Heehee.

I worked out what size card I'd need if I was planning to use it to it's full capacity( 99 folders by 20 styles/songs) by working out roughly how many styles/songs I'd get to the 1mb and multiplying.

The sd card is very quick for loading
( about 3 seconds on my kn7 for a style).
But I can really only comment on my kn7 as I haven't seen the kn2600.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hello

The next thing to consider, if I understand this correctly, is with a 128mb SD card you can have 99 folders with 20 styles per folder. Just short of 2000 styles!

The SD card is supposed to be quick. Maybe one can load one style at a time for fast live play.

I think this is about my last main question.haha

Thanx for the input gang, and for putting up with my barrage of questions. I get a little excited when considering a new board.

Scott Langholff

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#61358 - 07/02/03 04:09 PM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
I think we're mixing panel memories, external ( composer styles) and internal styles up.

Hopefully I can clear it up without confusing you even more.

The panel memories store information on your set up ie which style to use, which variation, which sound for your left & right hand etc ( similar to registrations on psr's)ie
panel 1= style internal beguine, vari 1, right hand piano, left hand string etc.

panel 2= style internal beguine, vari 3, right hand trumpet, left hand string

panel 3= style COMPOSER ( external style)cha cha, vari 3, right hand tumpet, left hand string
With this one you would have to make sure you've loaded the cha cha composer style ( which is an external style) into one of your 3 composer memories.

Hope I'm making sense.

If I can be of any help, just email me personally.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebird:
Hi guys,
Scott said: The panel memory buttons 1-8 have 3 banks for a total of 24. And I can store one external(from disk) or internal(on-board) style in in each one of those for a total of 24 styles. Do I understand that correctly? If so, that suprized me. There must be a bunch of internal memory in that board that I wasn't aware of. If you can do the 24 styles like I mentioned I can see where the disk on the 2400 could do the job.

But Rikki said: The composer style area is where you load and play your normal kn styles. In this area you can create & save new styles, edit existing styles etc. Load 3rd party styles. You can have up to 3 styles loaded ready for play in this area. This is the area the KN7, KN2600, Kn2400 uses for external styles.

After reading these statements in the forum, it is not clear to me the capacity to load external styles into KN2400/2600. 24 styles or 3 styles? Please, it is important for a next buy.

Blue

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-02-2003).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#61359 - 07/04/03 09:21 AM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
We are getting different answers from FlutteringBy and Rikkisbears.
So there is only 3 user areas (composer memories) for storing external styles (same as on the Yamaha PSR550). Styles can be loaded from disk on the KN2400 or SD Card on the KN2600, but they would be loaded into the 3 composer areas, and not directly from disk/sd card. Again this is like my PSR550. I can load styles from disk into the 3 user areas. This would make the functionality of a Technics $1800cdn keyboard identical to a $850 keybaord!!!
Am I understanding this correctly?
Starkeeper

#61360 - 07/04/03 10:05 AM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Douglas Dean,
I think you are clarifying this a little. So the KN2600 WOULD be able to load direclty from the SD Card, but the KN2400 would have to load first into the 3 composer areas?
Not sure what you meant when you say the inexpensive 24. What's a 24?
Sorry for the dumb queations, I think it's because different manufactures use different terms for the same functionality. So a user style area = composer area.
Starkeeper

#61361 - 07/04/03 12:08 PM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Bluebird Offline

hahaha, It is a little complicated, seems that all we do circles surrounding a theme. At less, it remained clear that 2400/2600 has not a user styles area (like PSRs, and like KN7) to load external styles. Also it is clear that external styles can't be played from floppy or sdcard, and they have to be loaded into panel memory. Perhaps all that is a little confusing because the way to manage styles is different to PSRs.
So, as Starkeeper would say, two things do not remain even clear:
First one would be how many styles can be loaded from sd card or floppy in panel memory?
Second one is if these loaded styles in panel memory remain into kb when the keyboard is put out?

#61362 - 07/04/03 02:03 PM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Starkeeper, when I said 24 that is just short for 2400. Same for 26 is 2600 and 7 for 7000. The way technics does things is somewhat different than other manufactures. Just as Yamaha does things different than others. The way each manufacture does things is called the OS (operating system). Just like you and me. If I was going to meet you somewhere at a certain time we would both get there but we probably would use different routes to get there. But get there we would. That’s the way keyboards work. As far as the different ways to get to the same place (OS, operating system) by a manufacture all have differences. For instance the VA keyboards (Rolland). They use a touch sensitive screen with hidden menus to get to the things you want to do. Some like the system and some don’t. It gets there but is frustrating to some. Another example is the SD card on technics. SD cards are for storage. Like a warehouse, different things can be stored in them. Also warehouses have different methods to find the things stored in them and all warehouses are only capable of storing certain things. Some more and some less. Floppy disks can only handle a limited number of things. A hard drive can store the same things as a floppy but much more of the same things. However usually only one hard drive to a keyboard is possible. And then hard drives have a limit relative to their size. Now as technology progresses we now have the SD card. A small postage stamp size card. No moving parts. Not subject to damage by moving or dropping. No wear problems. Kind of fool proof you might say. As with hard drives they can be bought with different storage capacities. Now comes the good stuff. You can purchase any number of these cards and carry a couple dozen of them in your shirt pocket. Now size has become of no concern. But, and I say BUT here comes the best part. Something floppies or hard drives can’t do. You can put voice on them also. You can put your CD’s on them, with singing, music, everything. Carry them ity-bity SD’s over to your buddies house in your shirt pocket, slip them into his KN and zippo, your in business. There are different reasons why people buy different types and or manufactures of keyboards. The same holds true with anything. There are those who will only buy a Chevy or a Ford product. Because of their bias they become very narrow in their thinking and miss a lot of what life has to offer. Trapped by their mind. Others buy because of their need. Such as a man with a lot of kids. A van is much more suitable. Keyboards? A singer who accompanies himself will more than likely choose an operating system different than a musician. Most important, choose a board for what you are going to do. I know many guys who only play their keyboards. Don’t know how to spell floppy disk, have never used the one that came with their board and would not know where to put it if they held one. They are perfectly happy. That’s the guy that don’t need a board with a lot of stuff on it. Then there are the ones that thrive on technology and buy it. I bought the one that is noted for it’s user friendly OS and that sounds the best to me and the customers I play for. Affordability? I bought the top of the line and am completely happy. If I didn’t have the bread I would certainly shoot for the 2600 with it’s SD card. If I was limited I’m sure I could be happy with the 2400. If I was a died in the wool Yamaha guy I would use the same reasoning. Another thing to take in consideration is the quality of the different forums. Look at the things being discussed on the general forum, the place where the Yamaha and other guys hang out. Listen to the music they play and exchange (very little). Nothing like the stuff on the technics site. Can’t come close to the quality of the arrangements, the sound, the musicianship of the people on this forum not to mention the quantity produced. Thanks to Bebop also for that. Don’t forget to look at the content of the things being discussed. Big difference.

Starkeeper, both the floppy and the SD card load into the composer. The difference is that the SD card loads in the twinkling of an eye while the floppy takes some seconds. A big advantage if speed is your consideration, playing out or if you have no patience. I don’t think a user style area = composer area. User style area is where you store styles. The composer area is where styles are loaded into. That is where you play them from, compose them, adjust them, twist them, turn them and do any other crazy thing you might conceive doing to them. You might say the custom area on the 6 or 7 thousand keyboard would = a user style area. The custom area is the place you store styles that are not native to the board. Ones that you load in from another source. The SD card in effect does the same thing except that there is an unlimited amount that can be stored and recalled in an instant. The low end (cheapest) of the KN’s, the 2400 stores them on a floppy disk. Old and slow technology but less money also. Once you get a handle on the way different things are done you will see everybody will arrive at the same place. The difference being mental attitude and the route (OS) you choose to take. I know some who do not like to take the super slab but prefer to take the city streets. Get there the way you are the most comfortable with, is the way I look at it. Me? I like what I have, I get there fast with quality and great sound to me and to my customers ears. Class, to say the least.

Let no dust settle under my feet, Grandpa Doug

#61363 - 07/04/03 03:29 PM Re: Setting Up a Kn 2400
rikkisbears Offline

Hi
this seems to be getting terribly confusing as psr's & kn's appear to handle external/user styles differently.

My KN7 has a feature called Custom Styles
on my 9000Pro the same type of feature is called Flash Styles. The less expensive keyboards don't appear to have this feature.

Composer Memory is for loading and using External / User Styles.
You can load up to 3 external/user styles into the composer memory of the kn's.

The 24 panel memories ( called registrations in my pro)is where you set up your info for the style ie sounds for left & right hand , the type of style (internal or composer) NOTE: the external/user style has to be loaded into 1 of the 3 composer memories either from floppy disk or sd card before it can be used in a panel memory.

(Probably my explanation is clear as mud. Wish it was as easy to explain as it is to actually do.) http://www.greatwestmusic.com/kn7000.html http://achamilton.co.uk/KN2600.htm http://achamilton.co.uk/KN2400.htm
best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online