SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61143 - 05/28/07 04:36 PM Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, all -

I am to the point of buying a new computer and am concerned about the new Windows operating system working with the KN7000 software. I have decided on a CPU with 500GB of hard drive, 2GB RAM, a Supermulti DVD burner and Windows Vista Home Premium. Do you think I will have problems using the drivers for the KN7000 and the SD-Jukebox V2.4? I am aware of a post sometime ago about the new Vista that was soon coming out and the potential problems it might create. I didn't follow through with the link at the time because I wasn't ready to buy a computer. Now that Windows Vista is out and I am ready to spring for a new computer, I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Scott

#61144 - 05/28/07 11:27 PM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
1. Load and run the programs in Windows XP compatibility mode, and then keep your fingers crossed that they all work.
2. If the above fails, use your old computer to connect to the keyboard, and network the 2 computers together. (If you use a direct cable connection then you will need a Network crossover cable)
Hope this helps

Bill

#61145 - 05/29/07 06:57 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

Hi Bill,

I think I am in deep trouble!!! My present computer has Windows 98 and this is why I am buying a new computer.

Scott

#61146 - 05/29/07 09:15 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
Don’t panic, you can try Win 98 compatibility mode, and if this doesn’t work you can still network your old computer to the new one, (You may need to buy a network adaptor) just use the Networking Wizard in Vista to set it up, it will even make up a disc that you can run on your old computer, so as to set it up for you.
Alternatively use a USB stick to transfer the finished files to the new computer. (As your old computer is Win 98 it is probably USB 1.1 rather then the latest USB 2, so the transfer speed will be slow)
Hope this helps

Bill

#61147 - 05/29/07 01:19 PM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hello,

From one customer I heard that the KN SDExplorer tool works with Vista. In a few weeks time from now I will now for sure by myself, because I also ordered a PC with Vista Home Premium.
www.vision-4-life.nl/SDExplorer.htm

#61148 - 05/30/07 07:20 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, Bill -

Gee, I was hoping to get rid of the old computer! I hate old technology staring me in the face plus, I don't want it taking up space.

Here is a thought: What if I bring both CDs (Applications & Drivers/SD-Jukebox V2.4) to the store and have a salesman install them in a Vista to see if they will work? Will they know or I know without having the KN7000 with me? I have not used this software in my old computer because I have been waiting to see how Vista was going to work and for the bugs to be taken out. I feel it is now time to buy. Also, I was concerned about Blu-ray versus HD and wondering what would be the standard. I now feel I can upgrade a DVD player later when the battle has been won.

I would appreciate your thoughts on my suggestion.

Scott

#61149 - 05/30/07 09:06 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
I would be extremely surprised if any salesman would do that, however if you can find one then go for it. (You probably will need your KN7000 though)
As you are getting a new computer anyway, you will be able to try them yourself, and don’t worry about messing up the computer, as Vista has a very efficient restore system that will set the computer back to exactly as it was before you installed the software. (In case something does go wrong)
As to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, don’t worry about it, as drives (Both computer and consumer) that do both are starting to become available. (Just give it 12 months or so for the prices to drop)
Hope this helps

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 05-30-2007).]

#61150 - 05/30/07 09:36 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, again Bill -

I will probably be dealing with Staples, a company here in America. I don't know if they are in the U.K. Anyway, they have a free service that if you buy a computer from them, you can bring in all your software and they will load it into the new computer. I know the manager pretty well and she may go for the CDs to be installed in one of their units, knowing that I am seriously interested in buying a computer. You do bring up a point about having the KN7000 with me. I would not want to do that or bother them in this way. Do you think if I can talk them into installing this software and there appears to be no problem installing it, will I have a problem with the keyboard recognizing the installation?

Scott

#61151 - 05/30/07 09:50 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
Yes we do have Staples over here; however I don’t remember them giving that service. (They pretty much expect the customer to know what they want)
As to the last statement, unfortunately there are no guarantees.
Best to just keep your fingers crossed.

Bill

#61152 - 05/30/07 10:56 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, Bill -

Perhaps Staples here is a bit more competitive than where you are. This service might have been a limited special but I will find out. It will be a couple of days before I contact them. I will let you know the results. There is also their guarantee that you can return the item for a full refund if not satisfied. I'm hoping I don't have to find a computer with last year's Windows. Paying for old technology doesn't please me.

Scott

#61153 - 05/30/07 02:36 PM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

F ~ L ~ A ~ S ~ H!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with a guy telling me that Vista has a COMPATIBLE SWITCH (I think he said switch) or someplace where you click on Compatible and old software should work OK in the system. He said that few people know this. If this is so, is this good or what!!!!!!

Scott

#61154 - 05/30/07 03:35 PM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi All,

It is interesting to know that Staples USA offer this service. I use Staples UK practically all the time both for personal and Keyboard Club purchases. Whilst I've always found them most helpful and obliging (they make sure I get the best deals) I do not know if they also offer this service, but you can be sure I will find out when I next go in the store.

I'll keep you all posted on this one.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 05-30-2007).]

#61155 - 05/30/07 10:39 PM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
Compatibility mode was introduced in Windows XP, (See my second and third posts) and has been carried over to Vista, however while it can help, there are still a lot of older programs that wont work, hopefully the Technics will.
Fingers crossed

Bill

#61156 - 05/31/07 05:57 AM Re: Windows Vista and KN7000 Software
nsr007 Offline

Thank you, Bill for bringing to my attention "Compatibility" in your second post. Having such an old Windows system, I didn't make the connection of the word until I spoke with the guy about older software programs.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online