SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60883 - 08/07/03 05:39 PM Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
riobom Offline

Loc: Porto - Portugal
I'm very sad with upgrade 1.5...!
Now every time I try to do (Sequencer Reset) the KN7000 turns off.
If someone has the same problem I would like to know to see if it is a software problem or a hardware problem, but I think it's a problem of software.
Anyway don't upgrade your keyboards!

[This message has been edited by riobom (edited 08-07-2003).]

#60884 - 08/07/03 09:03 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
mine appears to be okay. Did you do the disk check before you actually loaded the update to make sure your disks were okay? I also noticed you were upgrading from 1.3. Did you install the two 1.4 disks first then the two 1.5.

They had to be installed correctly , or I suppose you could end up with problems.

I know that one other chap had a problem too. His first disk worked okay but the second one didn't ( it was faulty) Apparently he downloaded the software from the site onto a new disk, and fortunately this time it worked.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#60885 - 08/07/03 09:24 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Jarmo Offline

Loc: Espoo, Finland
Mine works OK too. I´m doing always after upgrading harder "Factory reset" instead of "All initial settings" reset.

Press and hold all four keys:
8&16 Beat/Rock&Pop/Ballad/Jazz&Swing
and Power on your KN7000.

Display: Factory Reset Completed

After that check if you still have problem with sequencer reset.

Jarmo

#60886 - 08/07/03 11:10 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Mine seems to be working OK, even though I installed Disks 3 and 4 (system 1.4)after Disks 1 and 2 (operating system 1.5). I did expand the downloaded files and then checked the resultant floppies on the keyboard.
Keith

#60887 - 08/08/03 12:09 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Has the 1.5 Upgrade solved the SD Memory percentage remaining problem?

Joan

#60888 - 08/08/03 01:01 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Mike ORegan Offline

Hi Riobom,
It is a bit drastic to blame your Sequencer Reset problem on the 1.5 Upgrade without comparing notes with other users. Obviously your problem has either nothing to do with the upgrade or is a result of not following the installation instructions properly. If you go to the Yahoo KN 7000 Group you will see that I have posted detailed instructions (in English) which have been used successfully by many KN7K owners.
Mike O'R

#60889 - 08/08/03 11:25 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Bottom line is unless you are having major problems with your KN7000 do not upgrade until Technics themselves come out with one.

If you live in the U.S.A. contact Edward Williams who is Technics U.S.A. Rep. He will answer all your questions on upgrades and any thing else for that matter regarding your 7000.

You will find Eddie a most helpful and gracious person.
He can be contacted by dailing 1-800-726-8863.

Alex

#60890 - 08/08/03 01:27 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Mike ORegan Offline

The "bottom-bottom" line is that Technics HAVE compiled the Upgrades. It is the national distributors who seem to have cold feet about passing them on - that's, of course, except Taiyo in Germany, who always keep their customers up to speed.
Mike O'R

#60891 - 08/10/03 09:02 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
The "bottom-bottom" line is that Technics HAVE compiled the Upgrades. It is the national distributors who seem to have cold feet about passing them on - that's, of course, except Taiyo in Germany, who always keep their customers up to speed.
Mike O'R

The underLYING bottom line is anybody that uses the Taiyo
upgrades is taking a great risk. They are not supported nor are they approved by Panasonic.

#60892 - 08/10/03 10:46 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of us in the U.S., you should contact Panasonic U.S. (Eddie Williams).

He said installing an upgrade not distributed by Panasonic U.S. could hurt your warranty.

The changes came from the factory and are the same no matter where they come from but
why take the chance with possible download problems, when he will send them to you and if you have a problem he is there to help you with no warranty worries.

When I receive the 1.5 I do not intend to install it until I find I have a problem.

Not broke.........don't fix it!

Fran in Florida

#60893 - 08/10/03 11:16 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Mike ORegan Offline

For Johnnie c.
If the upgrades are not sanctioned by Panasonic/Technics can you explain why new keyboards are being shipped with the upgrades? This is probably enough about upgrades - there are two kinds of owners: those who upgrade and those why don't. Both have their points of view which should be respected.
Mike O'R

#60894 - 08/10/03 07:09 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Mike, did you ever think that the latest keyboards now being made such as the one Bebop has, has system 1.4 as the current operating system as you mentioned? This latest production never had 1.3 first installed and then upgraded to 1.4 but started out with 1.4 from it’s inception. Think about it! The problem is not with version 1.4 but with the process used in upgrading it from 1.3 to 1.4. The upgrade process, a possible glitch in that process. Also 1.5 has not been reported in any of the newer boards to hit the streets. Sometimes good ideas turn out to have unseen problems when implemented for a period of time. Yes, Technics has system 1.4 and it is OK or they would not have it in the newest released boards. When 1.5 is the installed system in the newest boards they will consider 1.5 OK. It is not the system that is bad but the upgrading process as far as I can figure out. So Mike, how’s that for an explanation? Good or bad, it sure sounds good to old grandpa. I even ran it through the war department, old Ruthie. Got a grunt! That’s Ruthie talk. I know what it means so I’ll interpret for you guys. ‘So you think your so smart’! Maybe not smart but cleaver.

Grandpa Doug

#60895 - 08/11/03 02:27 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
[QUOTE]
The underLYING bottom line is anybody that uses the Taiyo
upgrades is taking a great risk. They are not supported nor are they approved by Panasonic.
QUOTE]He said installing an upgrade not distributed by Panasonic U.S. could hurt your warranty./QUOTE]

Not every distributor is named Technics or Technote.
Here in Holland the name is "Haagtechno
responseble for import, marketing of Panasonic and Technics products"
and techno has nothing to do wiht Technics it is from technical equipment and so.
You cannot buy a product by HaagTechno unless you are a dealer.

So TAIYO is the German offical distributor of Panasonic, Technics products.
And for not music instruments "Panasonic.de"

So everything related to Technics musical instruments is official and comes from the Japanese Headquaters (Mat...).

So be afraid of losing your warranty?? Maybe they don't want you to go to the Taiyo site. Because they are selling more products for Technics instruments.

rgds.
Willem

#60896 - 08/11/03 02:35 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
waterschip Offline

Quote:

Also 1.5 has not been reported in any of the newer boards to hit the streets.
When 1.5 is the installed system in the newest boards they will consider 1.5 OK.
/B]

GrandPa Doug

Compare sending an update and the instrument.

Shipping from Japan to the rest of the world is not so fast(boat) than customcontrols, distribution to the main dealer, distribution to a dealer and finaly the ultimate user.
And not forget the instruments in stock.

Sending an update by email a few minutes.

rgds.
Willem

#60897 - 08/11/03 02:56 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Mike ORegan Offline

For Uncle Doug (who seems to want to keep this pot on the boil ;>)):
Technics operating systems are not written in stone. Why do you think that Technics, Yamaha, and others sell instruments which have their operating systems written onto an (wait for it!) Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM or, in current jargon Flash EPROM). The whole idea is that, given reasonable precautions, the user can upgrade the system whenever it is corrected/improved. Remember, your Technics keyboard is, basically, a musical computer, run by a computer program. I have been in the computer world for more years than I care to remember, but one tenet still holds good "computer programs are never finished, they are said to be at an advanced state of completion". Some owners will ignore all the above and never upgrade their instruments, unless they can get their dealer to do it for them - which goes against the original reason to EEPROMs. If you don't mind running slightly lame equipment, OK
Great-Grandpa Mike

#60898 - 08/11/03 08:41 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Who’s Uncle Doug? Me? Come to think about it, I guess I am. Me brother got two kids. Your right. I’m an Uncle among other things. Guess the Uncle in me is trying to keep this pot on the boil? Thought you were looking for a possible answer when you asked the question Quote: ”If the upgrades are not sanctioned by Panasonic/Technics can you explain why new keyboards are being shipped with the upgrades”? Just thought I would take a stab at it. Sorry, but I guess you only wanted Johnnie c. to answer now that I reread your post. I understand all about the things you cover in your last post. I also have been in the Mac environment of computing since 1986. Developed all of the invoicing, payroll, database and other programs necessary for operating my business, for there were none specific to the nursery and landscape contracting profession at the early introduction of the Macintosh Computer platform. Going to upgrade my Mac G4 duel processor to a G5 this fall as soon as I am sure Apple has everything fairly under control and releases the new operating system. The programs I have developed are under constant revision also as well as my music equipment is always subject to revision when I deem it advisable. Anyway Mike, thanks for being one of the first adventurous folks to step into unknown waters and make it safely across. Too bad some of the others did not make it without mishap but I also would like to express my thanks to them for trying. Too bad you think I’m running slightly lame equipment Mike, but you know, ignorance is bliss.

So old Grandpa or is it Uncle Doug will be signing off until maybe someone else throws another log on the fire under the pot.

#60899 - 08/11/03 08:58 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
riobom Offline

Loc: Porto - Portugal
Hi people!
I never thought that I will create such discussion about upgrades, but the truth is my KN7000 after the upgrade become a complete surprise! Load Song-off,Sequencer Reset- off, playing a song (midle of music)-off.
Every time I touch a button, the keyboard after a litle bliking turn off and restart alone.
It's not a matter of voltage because I always use a voltage stabilizator.
Solution, went to my dealer and ask him for a new keyboard. He lend me one, as here in Portugal it is vacation time and it is not possible to repair my keyboard.
When I turned back the new keyboard to insert my EW1 and EW4 cards I see a white label in wich I read SXKN7000(1.3) and my keyboard at the same label said SXKN7000(1.1).
This litlle difference may represent "that small difference" which causes the blinking,flickering, offing of my upgraded keyboard....
In a few days (after 15 August-end of vacations) I will tell you more, the technicien that will repair my keyboard is a very good friend, and this time there will be no secrets, I will be there present when he opens the Pandora Box.

#60900 - 08/12/03 05:11 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
For Johnnie c.
If the upgrades are not sanctioned by Panasonic/Technics can you explain why new keyboards are being shipped with the upgrades? This is probably enough about upgrades - there are two kinds of owners: those who upgrade and those why don't. Both have their points of view which should be respected.
Mike O'R

You are right to think that every individual is free to upgrade their instrument as they so wish using whatever means they deem fit including Taiyo that is their prerogative but they should be aware that there is a risk when using the Taiyo upgrade 1.5 & I feel that you are wrong to encourage people to use this upgrade especially after Panasonic UK & Panasonic USA have openly stated that they will not support this upgrade now these are not dealers we are talking about as is Taiyo but they are the big-time players in all of this.
So what are the implications in all of this & what does it all mean.
EXPLANATION FOR MIKE.
Anybody in the UK or USA that upgrade their KN7000 using the upgrade from Taiyo run the risk of their warranty being made null & void if problems occur.
It maybe that a problem does not appear BUT it maybe that a problem does & there lies the risk.

#60901 - 08/12/03 10:37 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Mike ORegan Offline

On that note, I rest my case. There's an old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him wash"
Mike O'R
(painlessly upgraded to Version 1.5)

#60902 - 08/12/03 12:05 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him wash"
Mike O'R

That quote is obviously the latest upgrade. I'm sticking with the original version "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him DRINK"
John

#60903 - 08/12/03 01:20 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Just a thought: after the horse was lead to the water and he washed himself in there. Who wants to drink that water??
Cees

#60904 - 08/12/03 06:20 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hey Guys ---
I just re-read this entire thread and you know what? I got my entertainment for the day! Great reading -- lots of banter and no one getting mad.
Seriously, this forum has become addictive - aint it great?
Best Regards to Everyone,
Walt

#60905 - 08/13/03 02:04 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
waterschip Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie C:
*a risk when using the Taiyo upgrade.....

So every German must be aware buying a KN
in his one (Germany) country???

*Anybody in the UK, USA that.....run the risk
of their warranty being made null.

That's exactly what dutch sellers say to me
when I tell them to order my KN somerwhere
else e.g. UK (same price with the audioset)

Thus it means you cannot shop around than only in your one country, --poor Dutch and Germans their is no Panasonic which sells Keyboards--
where the distributor and retailers can make their one sellingprice. I saw some prices mentioned in the past here??

Best Regards to Everyone,
Willem

#60906 - 08/14/03 03:22 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
On that note, I rest my case. There's an old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him wash"
Mike O'R
(painlessly upgraded to Version 1.5)

another load of EYEWASH

#60907 - 08/14/03 08:36 AM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Mike ORegan Offline

Who says a frog's got no hair?

#60908 - 08/15/03 12:31 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him wash"
Who says a frog's got no hair?
Mike O'R

There are certainly some very strange horses & frogs in & around Nottingham

#60909 - 08/16/03 05:58 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
Retired Offline

Hi,
If the horse swallowed the frog,
would it croak?
All the best
FredUK

#60910 - 08/16/03 06:20 PM Re: Error in upgrade 1.5 be carefull!!!!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
If it's an Aussie Cane Toad it would. ( haahaa)
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
Hi,
If the horse swallowed the frog,
would it croak?
All the best
FredUK

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022