SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60836 - 01/19/05 11:12 PM Notes & Disagreements...
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
Good morning all (UK GMT),

Having read over the last several topics posted in the Technics part of SynthZone, well, how can I word it? Is it that your becoming a little too abstract in your art or have you finally realised that life without Technics can still go on?

The above sounds abstract in itself but please read on. Although, as a number of you know, I don't hear music but I wonder as to the increased use of MIDI files being sent around the internet. From what I've been told they're sometines good, yet sometimes ____. (Fill that one in if you dare). But to the average audience they can't, under any circumstances, compare with the a person playing 'live'.

This brings me back to the original subject. With the technology that the almighty has seen fit to allow us to use why do we hark back to a format which, even in Mark's own words is 'circa 1985'. I agree that MIDI format if viewed on screen makes perfect sense to the eyes, but, having to base my judgement on others, makes very little sense when listened to.

So, to sum it up, please don't give up your day job (if you have one!). A good keyboard / organ is not just for Christmas but for life. Treasure it and use it as you see fit. That is if you want music to 'sound' as though it's being played by a 1970s Radio Shack computer so be it but use that quality we sometimes call 'human' and let whatever part of your soul sing out

To finish, Mark doesn't know I've sent this, he'll probably start sending apology notes when he does. And to finish, Luce will land back at RAF Wattisham (UK) tomorrow at about 07:20 GMT.

If any of the above causes arguments, I'm sorry...

Regards,

Michie

[This message has been edited by Mark, Michie & Luce (edited 01-19-2005).]

#60837 - 01/20/05 02:39 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Michie et al in Essex
Have you or your kith and kin tried playing Katie Melua's wonderful 2004 hit 'The closest thing to crazy' on an arranger keyboard such as the Technics KN's....
First bar is in three four time; second bar is in four four time; third bar is in three four time; fourth bar is in four four time and so on.
However I've found a midi file which gives a clear indication of how it may be done - they do have their uses...
Rog

#60838 - 01/20/05 03:03 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RMepstead:

Hi Roger,can you point me to the Midi File you refere to,I too like The closest thing to crazy. joe-baron@tiscali.co.uk
Sincerely.
Joe

#60839 - 01/20/05 04:05 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Joe
Check your in-box - it's on its way to you...
Rog

#60840 - 01/20/05 04:48 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I don't think there is any need to apologize.
Anyone, for the most part can learn to push buttons and make music.
Why not just play the radio?

I agree that nothing can compare to sitting at a keyboard and start playing "off the cuff" and play correct.
My organ teacher back in Chicago can play standards with a jazz chorus for each tune for hours without even sheet music.

When he was at one of his night spots with his singers he made the statement: "I didn't just wake up one morning and play this way".
Today's technology has made it so easy to sound good without knowing too much, and thats OK, but how about challenging ourselves to musically get to the next level of proficiency?

Sorry DJs, anybody can play records.

#60841 - 01/20/05 09:26 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by N9FAL:
.......... "I didn't just wake up one morning and play this way".......

Wodering if this boy did, and he sure push some buttons
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009957.html

I have to go practise
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#60842 - 01/20/05 11:10 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI MICHIE,
NO apology needed as far as I am concerned.
I even go one step further.
Nearly every day I turn everything off but the piano spread over all keys and just jam for half an hour or more. I don't want to loose my chops even at my age and become a button pusher.
I will even throw down an invitation to everyone here that is a musician and not just an arranger operator.
Lets record some PLAYED music and share it. I have sent mine out before and would be happy to do it again. How about you?
Please send me something you record on your keyboard using piano only, or any lead instrument that you excell on. Those that are musicians can comp to your lead instrument only.
How about it

Bebop

#60843 - 01/20/05 04:26 PM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Joe,

Would it be possible for me to have a copy of your file for Closest Thing to Crazy. I like this tune very much and had actually found quite a decent KN style to play it to and had saved it to a 128MB SD card along with other setups and then what did I do? - I accidentally formatted the SD card and lost the lot. I admit it was well past midnight when I was working with it but I still cannot believe I did that.

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

#60844 - 01/20/05 11:37 PM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
To all concerned with this topic,

The following was received by our friendly Yamaha player this a.m.

Hi Mark,
Having read all of Michie's comments on the Technics forum & The Bar both dated 20/01/05, and the replies,I unable to see why she made such a fuss. Nobody else has.

She was only pointing out her own opinion of the political situation, in one case and of the other her understanding of the situation regarding midi files.

My opinion of midi files is different to Michie's. But she is entitled to make the statements that she has. Technics files are not exactly Midi files, are they.

In the Yamaha circles, forums and the like, the only way we can distribute pieces of music on the Internet is by using Midi files.

The moderators of Tyrosworld or Svpworld do not allow the use of MP3 files on their forums.

If a player wishes to publish a MP3 piece he can only do so by putting it on his own web site, then post a notice on the forum to that effect. He can also, of course, send it on an e-mail in answer to a request.

A Yamaha user, if he/she makes a quick record on his or her keyboard it's a midi file.

A Yamaha user, if he or she makes a step record piece it is a midi file.

A Yamaha user, makes a multitrack recording it is still a midi file.

Its only after the keyboard plays back a midi file,and recorded by a sound recorder; will the midi file change to another format.

You will have to forward this on to Michie, I do not know her personal e-mail address.

Byeeeee

Norman

#60845 - 01/21/05 08:36 AM Re: Notes & Disagreements...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
NOrman,
when you want to email someone their address is under the stamped envelope to the right of their name in the toolbar. Some posters hide their addy but most are there.
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online